The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Playable Species List?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Playable Species List? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I know it was in trek, which is why some of the latter Shatner novels i didn't like anywhere near as much as his earlier ones..

Shatner also physically resurrected Kirk with Borg technology, which I think a much bigger reason to avoid Shatner Trek.

Whill wrote:
For my SWU, I know where the Celestials came from, what they were before they were the Celestials, how they became the Celestials, something of the Celestials' purposes, and what happened to them. That's important to where certain species came from, how some came to be, and how some migrated to different worlds. In my SWU, Mon Calamari are descended from the Rakata (but don't tell the Quarren that Mon Calamari are ancient aliens and not native to Dac).
Sutehp wrote:
And while we're talking about Precursors, let's not forget that waaaay back when Star Wars was just a gleam in George Lucas' eye that he called the Journal of the Whills, the Whills themselves were immortal beings who recorded the events of Star Wars into their Journal.

Hell, in that concept, it was R2-D2, of all people, who was narrating the entire Star Wars saga to the Whills!

I know a bit about the mysterious Whills too. Wink
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
What in the blazes is a Whovians??

Fans of Dr. Who.

ooooo..

I hate to be *THAT* guy...but...

It's actually Doctor Who.

The Doctor Who fandom generally hates the abbreviation of the word doctor when referring to the character or show.

Like how a lot of Christians hate the term X-mas.

Or when people refer to 'The star-trek enterprise'.

Funny that I can't think of an equivalent peeve among Star Wars fans...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His first trilogy "Ashes of Eden, The Return and Avenger" imo were great reads. Even the following trilogy which dealt with the mirror verse were ok.. It wasn't till they got into that whole "Totality" and the preservers it went down the tube imo..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
What in the blazes is a Whovians??

Fans of Dr. Who.

ooooo..

I hate to be *THAT* guy...but...

It's actually Doctor Who.

The Doctor Who fandom generally hates the abbreviation of the word doctor when referring to the character or show.

"Dark Vader" comes close.
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mixing Star Wars up with Star Trek tends not to be well received either, though that one affects both sides.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
I think mixing Star Wars up with Star Trek tends not to be well received either, though that one affects both sides.

Dear gawds, yeah, but as for those people who aren't sci-fi fans at all? We call them "the Unclean." Mr. Green

I may have my problems with the Whovians and fans of other sci-fi genres of which I can't appreciate for one reason or another, but at least they aren't part of "those people." 8) Laughing Mr. Green
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Jar-Jar Binks.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Jar-Jar Binks.

Only among some of us Star Wars fans. I, for one, found Jar Jar only slightly annoying. I could never understand the extreme hatedom that Jar Jar got. Hell, I was actually disappointed that Jar Jar only got a single throwaway line ["'Scuse me."] in RotS.

Jar Jar Binks may go down in history as the Scrappy of the Star Wars Universe, but I didn't find him anywhere near as annoying as the Real Scrappy.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
It's actually Doctor Who. The Doctor Who fandom generally hates the abbreviation of the word doctor when referring to the character or show... Funny that I can't think of an equivalent peeve among Star Wars fans...

Hmm. I have no issue with people typing "SW" to refer to Star Wars or "Trek" to refer to Star Trek, but I could have some other acronym/abbreviation-related pet peeves. I get hating the abbreviation for the show more than for the character. Is the character not a doctor? Or is "Doctor" just his first name? If so then I get that.

But I'm glad you're here to tell us these things. I had no idea about Who fans. I must apologize for any past and future offense. I process adjustments to Medicare claims for a living, and I type "Dr." or "Dr" to abbreviate the word doctor several times every work day. It's a habit. I'm sorry!

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Interesting. I have many Christian friends and family members, and I sometimes use this abbreviation in text messages and Facebook posts, but I haven't come across this complaint. XP (as the Greek letters Chi and Rho) are the first two letters of the Greek word for Christ, and they have been used to refer to Christ since at least the early 4th century. But a hundred years ago there were "X-mas" cards with picture of Odin on them, so I'm not surprised to hear that some modern Christians are upset about 'taking the Rho out of Christmas.'

Dredwulf60 wrote:

I've been a Trek fan since the mid-80s and I haven't come across that one, but I do find "Star Track" a bit annoying. Do they not even know the word trek? Don't they know that starships do not travel on "tracks"?

Sutehp wrote:
Only among some of us Star Wars fans. I, for one, found Jar Jar only slightly annoying. I could never understand the extreme hatedom that Jar Jar got. Hell, I was actually disappointed that Jar Jar only got a single throwaway line ["'Scuse me."] in RotS.

I, for one, do not find Jar Jar annoying at all. I do understand if people find him a bit annoying, but I don't understand the extreme hatedom that Jar Jar got either. I would have thought these people would be pleased that Jar Jar created the Empire, but no. I actually wasn't disappointed that in RotS Jar Jar only got a single line, and appeared silent and sad in Padme's funeral procession. I think his role as "the fool" was appropriate in the first episode (it's archetypal for the beginning of journeys), and his role was appropriately reduced over the course of the increasingly dark trilogy. His line in RotS wasn't even "Exsqueeze me," but Lucas ruining all those childhoods in late 90s must have been pretty traumatic.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Jar-Jar Binks.

Jar Jar Binks may go down in history as the Scrappy of the Star Wars Universe, but I didn't find him anywhere near as annoying as the Real Scrappy.

I agree. Just like there are plenty who love fett, but i found him very underwhelming..
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Hmm. I have no issue with people typing "SW" to refer to Star Wars or "Trek" to refer to Star Trek, but I could have some other acronym/abbreviation-related pet peeves. I get hating the abbreviation for the show more than for the character. Is the character not a doctor? Or is "Doctor" just his first name? If so then I get that.

I don't know. The character has no known name. It was revealed that he HAS one and at least one person knows it.. it was whispered to him as proof that she was a person that he could absolutely trust (she was from the future.) And viewers could not hear the actual whisper.

So, 'The Doctor' is for all intents and purpose the formal character name.

'Doctor Who' is the actual registered name of the show.

'Dr. Who'...has no formal relation to the fandom.

Quote:

But I'm glad you're here to tell us these things. I had no idea about Who fans. I must apologize for any past and future offense. I process adjustments to Medicare claims for a living, and I type "Dr." or "Dr" to abbreviate the word doctor several times every work day. It's a habit. I'm sorry!

Hey, I never said it made any sense. Smile

I wouldn't call myself a Whovian. I'm a casual fan. I like the modernized incarnation of the show. I used to laugh at the old episodes I saw in the 1980s for just how BAD the costume and special effects were; but the show is the longest continually running sci-fi franchise in history (so I've been told) and it has a LOT of built up lore and a pretty extensive..and loyal fandom.

And it attracts a lot of different types of fans. It's a family oriented show that is edgy enough for adults and just scary enough for kids with some high-brow sci-fi concepts mixed with a lot of humour and fun.

The Dr. vs Doctor things is something that was pointed out to me by a True member of the fandom. It's similar to the reaction you get when you tell a US Marine that he's a soldier.

Or call a Canadian Army Sergeant by the monkier 'Sarge'.

Don't know what I mean? Give it a try and watch the indignation. Smile

EDIT: For some further reading. Smile

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/07/doctor-who-9-things-people-say-that-drive-doctor-who-fans-mad-4824100/
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to learn each fandom's hot button topics... in order to start flame wars. Well, perhaps not flame wars, but at least to see other fans hot 'n' bothered for a while, until I de-escalate the situation.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I tend to learn each fandom's hot button topics... in order to start flame wars. Well, perhaps not flame wars, but at least to see other fans hot 'n' bothered for a while, until I de-escalate the situation.

There's a word for that Zarn. lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever heard of a troll trying to de-escalate the situation? That's the opposite of their primary function. Razz
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because I have a better handle on my trollishness now than I had earlier. When I was younger. Like, many many many many days ago.

Also, because I'm a fan of Socratic discussion, but also of challenging dogma. And fandoms are very fond of their dogma. And, also, because frankly a good argument can be very cathartic.

I was serious about the de-escalation part, though. I enjoy both stars - Trek and Wars - I enjoy the babylons (4, 5, or whatever), I even enjoy the doctors. I do have a favorite doctor, and he didn't wear a silly scarf for crying out loud. I somewhat dislike bronys, but what consenting adults do on their own is really none of my business. Hello Kitty is creepy.

What I do enjoy - and I blame not only my own proclivities, but also my years at a variety of schools - is to argue systems. Make something plausible. Have verisimilitude. Internally consistent. Doesn't mean I believe that, but I can argue whatever position.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: