The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Playable Species List?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Playable Species List? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a new table incorporating more information but removing the “optional” species. The goal after all being not to compare exhaustive lists but to compare base lists. Just for fun.

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be only tangentially-related and somewhat off-topic, BUT
I thought this might be relevant and I was curious if anyone else adjusted their attribute ranges?

So for Ithorians, the MEC max is 2D and TEC cap is 2D+1.
Momaw Nadon's stats exceed both of these with MEC 2D+1
and TEC 2D+2.

Not too much of an issue obviously as there are always outliers who exceed normal maximums, but has anyone upped the Ithorian ranges?

ALSO: Clear, useful and nifty-looking table, Falconer! Thank you for putting that together.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
That's because I have a better handle on my trollishness now than I had earlier. When I was younger. Like, many many many many days ago.

Also, because I'm a fan of Socratic discussion, but also of challenging dogma. And fandoms are very fond of their dogma. And, also, because frankly a good argument can be very cathartic.

I was serious about the de-escalation part, though. I enjoy both stars - Trek and Wars - I enjoy the babylons (4, 5, or whatever), I even enjoy the doctors. I do have a favorite doctor, and he didn't wear a silly scarf for crying out loud. I somewhat dislike bronys, but what consenting adults do on their own is really none of my business. Hello Kitty is creepy.

What I do enjoy - and I blame not only my own proclivities, but also my years at a variety of schools - is to argue systems. Make something plausible. Have verisimilitude. Internally consistent. Doesn't mean I believe that, but I can argue whatever position.

As a lawyer, I can certainly appreciate a devil's advocate, but there's a world of difference between a devil's advocate (even a devil's advocate using the Socratic method!) and a troll.

It's good to know that you're the former, Zarn and not the latter. 8)

After all, a guy who likes Star Trek, Star Wars and Babylon 5 can't be all bad! We kindred spirits have to stick together. Mr. Green
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Clear, useful and nifty-looking table, Falconer! Thank you for putting that together.

Indeed. Thanks, Falconer.

Telsij wrote:
I was curious if anyone else adjusted their attribute ranges?

and TEC 2D+2.

Not too much of an issue obviously as there are always outliers who exceed normal maximums, but has anyone upped the Ithorian ranges?

Yes. No game stats are "canon" in my book. A lot of stats don't really make sense to the films, fluff text, and other sources, so I tweak them as I deem appropriate.

Telsij wrote:
This may be only tangentially-related and somewhat off-topic, BUT I thought this might be relevant

Much less offtopic than some of our tangents. Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Ithorians and Sullustans really so ubiquitous as PCs in your campaigns? Since just about every RPG apparently allows them, I have to wonder, because although Hammerhead looks cool, he flashes on screen for about a second and that’s it; and Nien Nunb is a goofy-looking puppet with a goofy laugh. To what do we owe their apparent popularity?
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Are Ithorians and Sullustans really so ubiquitous as PCs in your campaigns? Since just about every RPG apparently allows them, I have to wonder, because although Hammerhead looks cool, he flashes on screen for about a second and that’s it; and Nien Nunb is a goofy-looking puppet with a goofy laugh. To what do we owe their apparent popularity?

A cool design is all some people need (see the cult/rep of Boba Fett, for example), but toys and charmingly-designed puppetry certainly help prolong popularity --
bringing about inspired things like Kenner figure Hammerhead cosplay:

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know which one of those two I think has turned to the Dark Side.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Ithorian cosplay!

Falconer wrote:

Sullustans popularity would probably just come from the fact that the first one was a Falcon co-pilot who helped Lando destroy Death Star II, but Sullustans are not ubiquitous in my campaigns.

Ithorians and Mon Calamari are my two favorite alien species in all of Star Wars, but Ithorians aren't because of their brief on screen appearances. For both of these faves, it's because of the WEG species fluff (the primary basis for their EU and canon backgrounds). I'm a real life treehugger so I associate with Ithorian values (Mother Jungle = Mother Nature/Earth). Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Well, I know which one of those two I think has turned to the Dark Side.

Really? I can't tell because the Ithorian on the left has spooky eyes and is holding a blaster in open view looking like he's about to go postal amongst a bunch of civilians, while the Ithorian on the right has spooky glowing Sith eyes.

Looks like a tossup to me about which one falls to the Dark Side. Maybe both at once? Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen about half a dozen pcs over the 2 decades, who were sullistians, but no ithorians to my recollection.

Some of the other not so common ones have been squibs, a few jawas here and there, the occasional Tiranni and Togorian, and even a few farghul.. I have even seen one player go with a Teltorite.. Those big blue guys..
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played as an Ithorian, and currently have one in my party.

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
I've played as an Ithorian, and currently have one in my party.

This image is the highlight of my workday. If so inclined (in the character section maybe? if people don't want too much of an off-topic tangent), pls post stats and background.
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
This image is the highlight of my workday.

I'm glad you like it!

Telsij wrote:
If so inclined (in the character section maybe? if people don't want too much of an off-topic tangent), pls post stats and background.

I have created a thread here for this.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
This may be only tangentially-related and somewhat off-topic, BUT
I thought this might be relevant and I was curious if anyone else adjusted their attribute ranges?

and TEC 2D+2.

ALSO: Clear, useful and nifty-looking table, Falconer! Thank you for putting that together.

I wouldn't up the ranges, but those are so close to the maximum that it could have been achieved by normal CP improvement.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus BTB you CAN improve an attribute above racial maxes. just spend the CP as normal, but you have to roll off against the DM, and if you LOSE that roll off, you did NOT get the attribute increase AND SPENT Half the CP in the failure...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: