The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ewok Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ewok Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Ewok Question Reply with quote

Let's say that you've got a player wanting to play an Ewok. There are no real restrictions on this alien through the game, but as GM, I know that this is a barbarian character who knows nothing of the modern galaxy.

But, this is also space opera.

Keeping both in mind, I'd rule that, before play starts, the Ewok's background contains some explanation about how the Ewok got up to speed with modern day game skills (Droid Repair, Space Transports piloting, etc).

Since this is space opera, a number or years off of Endor, exploring the galaxy is a good enough background. The Ewok picked up this here and that there.

How long, would you say, that an Ewok would have to travel the modern galaxy in order for him to be as proficient as the other PCs, who have lived in the modern galaxy their entire lives?

In other words, how long would you say an Ewok would have to journey and learn until his ability is just as strong as the other PCs?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three ti to five years.

It's somewhat arbitrary, but I think it's a not-unreasonable amount of time, if he got something of an intensive course in it (i.e. slamming around on a tramp freighter and having to be an extra set of hands)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ewok Question Reply with quote

That sounds good.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Let's say that you've got a player wanting to play an Ewok. There are no real restrictions on this alien through the game, but as GM, I know that this is a barbarian character who knows nothing of the modern galaxy.

But, this is also space opera.

Keeping both in mind, I'd rule that, before play starts, the Ewok's background contains some explanation about how the Ewok got up to speed with modern day game skills (Droid Repair, Space Transports piloting, etc).

Since this is space opera, a number or years off of Endor, exploring the galaxy is a good enough background. The Ewok picked up this here and that there.

How long, would you say, that an Ewok would have to travel the modern galaxy in order for him to be as proficient as the other PCs, who have lived in the modern galaxy their entire lives?

In other words, how long would you say an Ewok would have to journey and learn until his ability is just as strong as the other PCs?

My next campaign will have an Ewok and I ruled three years of traveling around the galaxy as a hand on tramp freighter to justify his 2D in KNO and TEC.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ewok Question Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

At least half a dozen years at the minimum for one to two skills.. A hell of a lot longer for 'being well rounded in all modern skills'..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the one hand, it's Space Opera. On the other, an Ewok doesn't even know Basic. Can't speak the language. Doesn't know basic math. Doesn't understand how electricity works. Never operated a computer.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
On the one hand, it's Space Opera. On the other, an Ewok doesn't even know Basic. Can't speak the language. Doesn't know basic math. Doesn't understand how electricity works. Never operated a computer.

And Luke Skywalker learned to aim torpedoes with his mind with a six hour course while flying to the Alderaan meteorscape, and was able to muck around people's minds 4 years after being introduced to the concept.

Ewoks don't speak Basic to start, but can learn it and don't have a reason they can't speak it... and they have enough exposure to the galaxy that C-3PO knows their language in his collection of 6 million forms of communication. They may not know how electricity works and may never have operated a computer, but they are going to have at least some basic math... they may not do math like the rest of the galaxy (at a bet, they have a base 4 or base 8 counting system, just because they are usually shown as having 3 fingers and a thumb), but they've got enough that they can do some pretty serious engineering.

I'll also point out that they've proven able to figure out mechanical devices (i.e. speeder bikes), and have had an Imperial presence for 4 years by the time of the Battle of Endor. So, while they're new to technology, they're not unaware of it... they just don't have the infrastructure to make it.

A 1D, or even a 2D+2, is pretty simple level stuff. A lot of it is "push the button and the thing happens". Which is pretty easy to figure out.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ewok Question Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My next campaign will have an Ewok and I ruled three years of traveling around the galaxy as a hand on tramp freighter to justify his 2D in KNO and TEC.
garhkal wrote:
At least half a dozen years at the minimum for one to two skills.. A hell of a lot longer for 'being well rounded in all modern skills'..

I don't allow attributes to be raised in-game, so I was answering the OP with respect to the Ewok's background including enough time adventuring around the galaxy before the campaign begins to justify the primitive Ewok advancing to an 18D attribute character. If it helps, the Ewok PC I referred to is a Force-sensitive prodigy so technically only has 17D in normal attributes. He's kind of like the Anakin Skywalker of Ewoks. I feel 3 years for him to become acclimated to galactic technology and society is reasonable in this cinematic reality.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, remember by the RAW it should take 1 DAY PER CP spent to get/learn/improve SKILLS.. IMO that should be 1 week per CP for attributes..
So taking a 1d mech/know to 2d+1 would be 10+10+10+20 or 50 WEEKS, per attribute. PLUS the time to learn each skill under that the cha is wanting.. And that's not taking into account the time it will take to EARN Those CP..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decade then? Twelve years?

EDIT: Ewoks (primitive characters)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm holding at three to five years. But now, I'm standing on math.

For one thing, an Ewok getting up to "Human average" from minimum requires 30 CP for Technical (base of 1D, so 10+10+10), and 10 CP for Mechanical (base of 1D+2, plus 10 to bring to 2D). And this is just NPC Ewok with minimum stats. An average Ewok is actually a bit better off, and only requires 20 CP, since they have a higher-than-minimum Technical. A PC Ewok who maxes out Dexterity, Knowledge, Strength and Perception is going to have enough to make the minimums on Mechanical and Technical... anything other than Maximums on those 4 and they're going to be above the minimum. And bringing up the attribute brings up all the related skills, so even if you brought your First Aid up to to 2D, raising Technical to 2D will automatically improve that to 3D (R&E, p. 35).

So, an Ewok who wants to get to Human Average in Technical and Mechanical, from Ewok Minimum (again, 2 pips below Ewok average), needs 40 CP, which requires 40 weeks of training. There are 73 weeks (and 3 days) in a standard year, so assuming a rate of CP gain of 1 CP a week, he can manage that in just over a year (he gains 10 CP, trains, gains 10 CP, trains, etc). At 3 years, or 220 weeks, 4 days, he can earn 1 CP every 4 and a half weeks... slightly more than 1 CP a month... and still make enough to get from Ewok Minimum to Human Average in 3 years. Stretch it out to 5 years, and he's got 368 weeks, and he only needs 1 CP every 8 weeks and 1 day... some simple-as-can-be Ewok to Human Average can do it in 3 years without working too hard (1 CP a month will do it in just over 3 years), and can improve a bunch of other things along the way in 5.

If he's starting at Ewok Average (R&E p. 213), he needs 20 CPs and 20 weeks, which significantly cuts the time needed.

Now, this assumes the Ewok has a teacher for these things, but given that the requirement for this is essentially "Be someone of human average skill and ability" (R&E, p. 34), I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that someone who humans naturally want to protect (Ewok Story Factor, R&E p. 213) will have problems finding a teacher to show them absolute basics of living in the modern galaxy.

So, again, three to five years to reach average human ability for an Ewok newly travelling galactic society.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: