The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the joke that the 9th movie will be titled "From His Nap", with the titles making a sentence. Very Happy
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I liked the joke that the 9th movie will be titled "From His Nap", with the titles making a sentence. Very Happy

ROFL, that's awesome! (That's one hell of a nap to be woken up from, though. Can anyone see Luke going postal with his lightsaber yelling "WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER?!"

...Yeah, me neither.) Razz
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Star Wars Rebels managed to find someone who sounds almost exactly like Sir Alec Guiness to play old Obi-Wan.

You mean Star Wars: Clone Wars managed to find someone who sounds almost exactly like Ewan McGregor sounding almost exactly like Sir Alec Guinness to play all animated Obi-Wan. James Arnold Taylor has been the voice of animated Obi-Wan since 2003.

I haven't seen much of TCW yet, so I didn't know that JAT also did the voice for Clone Wars Obi-Wan as well. It speaks to his talent as a voice actor that he can do both Obi-Wan voices as well as a myriad variety of other voices as well, I'm sure. Par for the course for voice actors.

For sure, but Ewan McGregor's Sir Alec Guinness voice is not bad in the first place. RotS really made me believe that McGregor would grow old into Guinness.

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
But matching a voice to animation for Leia is moot because they have already stated they will not have a CG Leia.

Did they? Well, if they won't have a CG Leia and they can't have a real Leia, I guess we'll have to settle for no Leia. (Unless there's a solution that I'm unaware of....)

http://www.starwars.com/news/a-statement-regarding-new-rumors
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks the "Last Jedi" of the title is Rey?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Did they? Well, if they won't have a CG Leia and they can't have a real Leia, I guess we'll have to settle for no Leia. (Unless there's a solution that I'm unaware of....)

While I'd have to rewatch TFA to be sure, I don't think anything particularly precludes the Organa-Solos from having had children other than Ben/Kylo; introducing a Leia-analogue who is one of their children would keep many of the story links intact, while letting them move the focus off Leia herself. It's a bit cheap, but it might work.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think that it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Jedi is also the plural, so it could be reference to both Rey and Luke.

Also, Rey isn't a Jedi yet, But Luke is...

Xain
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would point out to you guys, the last Jedi was Yodi, though it could refer to Obi-Wan, but technically, he was the last. In ESB, Luke training was incomplete and he could not be considered a Jedi. By the time of RotJ he was considered a Jedi, hence the title. So that is my two cents when it comes to possible explanation of the title.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Quote:

I think that it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Jedi is also the plural, so it could be reference to both Rey and Luke.

Also, Rey isn't a Jedi yet, But Luke is...

Yes, it could include Rey because Rey may become a Jedi in this film. And Luke could die.

shootingwomprats wrote:
I would point out to you guys, the last Jedi was Yodi, though it could refer to Obi-Wan, but technically, he was the last.

In your first sentence I'm not sure who the pronoun he refers to, but either way, you said "it could refer to Obi-Wan". Yoda outlived Obi-Wan by several years, so "Jedi" could only refer to Obi-Wan in a broad way if it refers to all Jedi who survived Order 66 and the Jedi Purge. But it would also have to be a broad definition to even include Yoda since he died over 30 years ago. Anakin Skywalker outlived Yoda by a bit.

shootingwomprats wrote:
In ESB, Luke training was incomplete and he could not be considered a Jedi. By the time of RotJ he was considered a Jedi, hence the title.

That's a common sentiment in Star Wars fandom. The title Return of the Jedi primarily refers to Anakin Skywalker, the Jedi who was gone for 20-some years and returned. It's Anakin's redemption story. Yes, Luke had a very important part in it. Luke had no chance to destroy the Sith himself, so he took the Sith lightning and put all his chips on Anakin. I get that people feel the Jedi order returned through Luke, but if we're talking about individuals that carried the flame, the Jedi order never really left. So the only sense that the Jedi order "returned" is a Jedi order without the oppression of the Sith, and it was actually Anakin who destroyed the Sith.

When gone was Yoda, the last of the Jedi legacy was Luke, but one thing remained before he achieved knighthood. Luke's trial was to not cross over to the Dark Side like his father had before him, so the moment he didn't kill Vader and threw away his lightsaber, Luke was a Jedi Knight. Then for a short time, there were two Jedi Knights when Anakin returned until he died, leaving only Luke. Training Jedi apprentices to knighthood would make Luke a Jedi Master, but all the students could have been slaughtered before becoming knights. Rey becoming a Jedi Knight may be how the Jedi order really returns.

Wouldn't it be cool if Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Can Force ghosts reincarnate after they've already become one with the Force? We already saw Anakin as a Force ghost standing with Yoda and Obi-Wan at the Endor celebration. Is there any coming back from that?

Is reincarnation even a thing in the SWU? Shocked
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would think that is an interesting storytelling technique, the grandson trying to be the grandfather, while ultimately opposing the manifestation of the grandfather... I don't really feel like it would be in the established Star Wars vibe. Heck, I might pick that up in another RPG though. I'll hang on to that idea. Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Can Force ghosts reincarnate after they've already become one with the Force? We already saw Anakin as a Force ghost standing with Yoda and Obi-Wan at the Endor celebration. Is there any coming back from that?

Not as yet revealed, but it could be. I feel it is more likely you could come back from being a Force Ghost then from not being one. In Star Wars, when living beings die, their specific individual lifeforce rejoins the general universal Force. The individual ceases to exist but the lifeforce does not. When new living beings come into being, their specific individual life force forms out of the general universal Force.

The ability to become a Force Ghost is to hold off that diffusion and maintain the distinct identity he had in life without a physical body. If reincarnation is possible in Star Wars, becoming a Force Ghost may be the only way it is possible. It might also explain how Anakin could even become a Force Ghost without having ever learned the power to do so (as far as we know). Anakin himself may have been a reincarnation.

cheshire wrote:
While I would think that is an interesting storytelling technique, the grandson trying to be the grandfather, while ultimately opposing the manifestation of the grandfather... I don't really feel like it would be in the established Star Wars vibe. Heck, I might pick that up in another RPG though. I'll hang on to that idea. Smile

You lost me. Who would be the grandson and the grandfather?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:

The closest we have to that is the force (sith) power that palpy used to inhabit his own clones, and in Dark empire 2, TRIED to use to take over one of Leia's kids..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The closest we have to that is the force (sith) power that palpy used to inhabit his own clones, and in Dark empire 2, TRIED to use to take over one of Leia's kids..

There's a scene in the novelization of Revenge of the Sith where just before Obi-Wan manages to find Bail Organa and Yoda on Polis Massa, (and just before Bail enters the room to inform Yoda of Obi-Wan's arrival in fact), Yoda was conversing with Qui-Gon Jinn's Force ghost on how immortality is achieved. Qui-Gon even says that while immortality is the ultimate objective of the Sith, the Sith can never achieve it because becoming a Force ghost requires the willing release of self, rather than the exaltation of self.

And Ol' Palpy was nothing if he wasn't about the exaltation of self. He failed before he even started. Even after collaborating with Plagueis and learning everything he could from him, even with the clone bodies sustaining him for a time, even with all the Light and Dark lore he learned, he still went to his own damnation after making the greatest effort in the history of the galaxy to avoid it.

This isn't part of the SWU, but it's still an appropriate quote nonetheless:

"One often meets his destiny on the road he chooses to avoid it."
-Oogway, Kung Fu Panda
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"One often meets his destiny on the road he chooses to avoid it."
-Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Oftentimes I've found that the personality of Oogway is a fantastic personality type for a Jedi Master.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh...in two movie episodes (and 30+ years of G. Lucas laziness) we go from "Return" of the Jedi to the "Last" Jedi. Pretty stupid. I swear that Disney is so scared to screw up Star Wars that they're actually doing just that by dumbing it down. The sad thing is that they can't even expand their audience any larger. Why not treat us like intelligent people and think up something truly engaging? The Last Jedi just sounds so stupid! Like the title of any SWU novel written past 2000. And why is it that no idea-haver at Lucasfilm can't actually give us a film containing what everyone wants to see? The restoration of the Republic and the Jedi order both!

Also, for those of you out there thinking Jedi may be plural, it could be, but it is most likely not. It would have been "the Last of the Jedi" otherwise, which still preserves the plural as "Jedi" and is more correct grammatically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: