The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation) Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation) Reply with quote

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-official-title-for-star-wars-episode-viii-revealed

Poodoo. Now they have to kill off Leia and Luke! Shocked
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
http://www.starwars.com/news/the-official-title-for-star-wars-episode-viii-revealed

Now, now, now, let's not be hasty. Luke has already been referred to as the Last Jedi. Leia is untrained and surrounded by Resistance bodyguards so it's unlikely that Snoke would target her, and Rey hasn't even been trained yet, so Luke won't be killed off at least until Rey finishes her training.

Besides, we already had our Obi-Wan moment when Han got kakked. I could be wrong, but I don't think we'll have another Obi-Wan moment so soon. We'll see.

Oh, and see here for the debate on whether the term "Last Jedi" is singular or plural.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. The title announcement kind of snuck up on me. I'm glad to see it.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Sweet. The title announcement kind of snuck up on me. I'm glad to see it.

I didn't know about it until I saw Whill's post. Needless to say and for the reasons I mentioned above, the title shocks me less than it did him. 8)

EDIT: Cheshire, make 9 more posts so you can get promoted to Grand Admiral! Razz
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:

Now, now, now, let's not be hasty. Luke has already been referred to as the Last Jedi. Leia is untrained and surrounded by Resistance bodyguards so it's unlikely that Snoke would target her, and Rey hasn't even been trained yet, so Luke won't be killed off at least until Rey finishes her training.

Besides, we already had our Obi-Wan moment when Han got kakked. I could be wrong, but I don't think we'll have another Obi-Wan moment so soon. We'll see.

Oh, and see here for the debate on whether the term "Last Jedi" is singular or plural.

I was mostly just being sensational. Yes, it certainly could be plural. But the first thing that popped into my head was Luke becoming a ghost in TLJ after training Rey, leaving her as the last Jedi.

Regarding Leia, Lucasfilm had already officially announced that they will not have a CG Leia in Episode IX. So that means that they will either just contrive some lame excuse as to why she doesn't appear in the movie, or they will kill off the character at the end of SW VII or the beginning of SW IX (either way they could use existing footage or image for a imminent death shot before the ship she is on gets blown up or something). I hope and trust that they won't do a lame excuse to try to explain her absence, which means I feel it is extremely likely they will write Leia's death into the story. So whether Luke dies in TLJ, SW IX, or not at all, Leia will likely die (at least earlier than originally planned).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:

I was mostly just being sensational. Yes, it certainly could be plural. But the first thing that popped into my head was Luke becoming a ghost in TLJ after training Rey, leaving her as the last Jedi.

Regarding Leia, Lucasfilm had already officially announced that they will not have a CG Leia in Episode IX. So that means that they will either just contrive some lame excuse as to why she doesn't appear in the movie, or they will kill off the character at the end of SW VII or the beginning of SW IX (either way they could use existing footage or image for a imminent death shot before the ship she is on gets blown up or something). I hope and trust that they won't do a lame excuse to try to explain her absence, which means I feel it is extremely likely they will write Leia's death into the story. So whether Luke dies in TLJ, SW IX, or not at all, Leia will likely die (at least earlier than originally planned).

Maybe Leia dies of heartbreak between the 2 films..
And i would not have any issue if luke died off, and force ghosts for Rey.
Afterall we DID get Yoda also ghosting in RotJ..
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi Reply with quote

For clarification, Leia's part in the next movie was already completely filmed when Carrie Fisher died, and supposedly it is a bigger role than TFA. So Leia could be in TLJ all the way until the end.

garhkal wrote:
Maybe Leia dies of heartbreak between the 2 films.

Maybe, but I hope that they put it in a movie and it's not just in an opening crawl. For a character as important to the saga as Leia, I think I need it to be a part of the story, even if it is a sudden surprise at the end of Ep 8 or beginning or Ep 9.

garhkal wrote:
And i would not have any issue if luke died off, and force ghosts for Rey.
Afterall we DID get Yoda also ghosting in RotJ..

Yes. Since this third trilogy continues to open musically with Luke Skywalker's theme (the main theme is Luke's theme), and the race to Skywalker was the main plot of TFA, I really need Luke to be important to the plots of 8 and 9. Don't get me wrong. I love Rey and know she is the main protagonist of this trilogy, but she is the successor of Luke. If they want to do more trilogies without Luke then fine, but this trilogy has to be significantly about Luke. So if he does die in TLJ, I guess I would be ok with him being a ghost in 9 too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the record that this trilogy is the story of the handoff of responsibility for safeguarding the galaxy from Luke, Han and Leia to Rey, Finn and Poe (even though Poe was originally written to be killed off until Oscar Issac rightly complained about playing yet another character dying off midway through the film). Han was killed off (although I remember reading that Harrison Ford will play Han in flashbacks in Ep 8 at least) and with Carrie Fisher's passing, we won't see Leia in Ep 9. Which leaves Luke as the "final mentor," as it were. If Luke has to die instead of just retire, I'd just as soon not have Luke become one with the Force until Ep 9.

But that's just me. We'll see what happens this December.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thought on TLJ:

What if Luke wasn't just searching for the first Jedi temple, but was secretly training Jedi all along, and had given these secret jedi orders of not revealing themselves until he had reemerged to the galaxy? Basically what I'm saying is that the title is a sort of clarion call to all the hidden jedi.

I think it would be epic to see all these hidden jedi revealing themselves as in a montage of scenes on screen.

As to the loss of Carrie Fisher and the future of Leia for IX: I know that I'm probably in a small minority here, but I wouldn't be too angry if they recast the character.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
I have a thought on TLJ:

What if Luke wasn't just searching for the first Jedi temple, but was secretly training Jedi all along, and had given these secret jedi orders of not revealing themselves until he had reemerged to the galaxy? Basically what I'm saying is that the title is a sort of clarion call to all the hidden jedi.

I think it would be epic to see all these hidden jedi revealing themselves as in a montage of scenes on screen.

As to the loss of Carrie Fisher and the future of Leia for IX: I know that I'm probably in a small minority here, but I wouldn't be too angry if they recast the character.

But Star Wars has NEVER recast a character...

... if you only watch special editions. Smile
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Treefrog wrote:
I have a thought on TLJ:

But Star Wars has NEVER recast a character...

... if you only watch special editions. Smile

And yet, Star Wars had NEVER done flashbacks (TFA, R1), or had NEVER started a Saga film immediately after when the previous film had ended (TFA to TLJ); actually, come to think of it, with next year's Han Solo anthology film, they will have recast a major character.

So, if they did recast Leia, it wouldn't be a precedent. Now, should they? IMO, no.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Leia Reply with quote

I doubt they will recast the role either, but we'll see.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Leia Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I doubt they will recast the role either, but we'll see.

I also agree that I don't think they'll recast General Leia. They can't pull off a CGI Leia anymore without her voice...but then again, Star Wars Rebels managed to find someone who sounds almost exactly like Sir Alec Guiness to play old Obi-Wan. So if they found a suitable voice actor as well as someone to physically play General Leia, they might be able to pull it off. Is it feasible that they could recast her? Maybe. Will they recast her? Dunno.

And has Episode 9 even been written yet? Any decision whether or not to recast Leia will have to wait on that script in any case.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Star Wars Rebels managed to find someone who sounds almost exactly like Sir Alec Guiness to play old Obi-Wan.

You mean Star Wars: Clone Wars managed to find someone who sounds almost exactly like Ewan McGregor sounding almost exactly like Sir Alec Guinness to play all animated Obi-Wan. James Arnold Taylor has been the voice of animated Obi-Wan since 2003. But matching a voice to animation for Leia is moot because they have already stated they will not have a CG Leia.

Sutehp wrote:
And has Episode 9 even been written yet? Any decision whether or not to recast Leia will have to wait on that script in any case.

There's at least a story treatment. Lucasfilm has already had a meeting to discuss options and explore solutions, so the script will be written based on the direction they decide to go.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Star Wars Rebels managed to find someone who sounds almost exactly like Sir Alec Guiness to play old Obi-Wan.

You mean Star Wars: Clone Wars managed to find someone who sounds almost exactly like Ewan McGregor sounding almost exactly like Sir Alec Guinness to play all animated Obi-Wan. James Arnold Taylor has been the voice of animated Obi-Wan since 2003.

I haven't seen much of TCW yet, so I didn't know that JAT also did the voice for Clone Wars Obi-Wan as well. It speaks to his talent as a voice actor that he can do both Obi-Wan voices as well as a myriad variety of other voices as well, I'm sure. Par for the course for voice actors.

I actually started a Clone Wars "Extended" Marathon to watch all the episodes in chronological order. I started about a week or two ago and I'm at the 13th episode of Season One. I try to watch anywhere from 2 to 5 episodes a day...I expect this is gonna take a while. Razz

Whill wrote:
But matching a voice to animation for Leia is moot because they have already stated they will not have a CG Leia.

Did they? Well, if they won't have a CG Leia and they can't have a real Leia, I guess we'll have to settle for no Leia. (Unless there's a solution that I'm unaware of....)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: