The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gray Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Gray Jedi Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never liked the idea that if you earn a DSP you roll and tou coukd go to the Darkside with a bad roll. I always allowed 6 DSP then you go to the Darkside.

I believe the idea is that the GM rolls the dice in secret to see if the character has fallen. The way I do this is that if I roll and the character has fallen, I give him subtly less and less warnings on if his actions are morally bad and let the player doom his own character or realise his own mistakes and pull back (atone).

Quote:
If you allow Gray Jedis (which Im not personally fond of). Also I like the idea of Willpower to resist gaining a DSP. Perhaps each DSP adds a 1D to difficulty? Btw, there aee some powers like Bolt of Hatred that by its very nature, you gain a DSP automatically.

I am personally against a willpower roll to resist DSPs, what is to stop a player whacking Willpower up really high and using whatever Dark Side stuff without fear and consequence of DSPs? What we see in the movies is that it is bad choices that lead to a fall, which is what the DSP's a written model reasonably well

Just my opinions though

Xain
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teepo Paladins and their offshoot, the Gray Paladins, were originally hewing more closely to a non-binary Force view. Aing-Tii ... are doing their own thing, and have much more of a Blue-Orange Morality view of the Force rather than the Dark-Light view.

If Jolee Bindo hasn't been mentioned already in this thread, we've failed collectively. And then there's Vaapad, which is so close to the Dark Side that you could likely shave with it.

I'm actually intrigued by the idea of the slippery slope jedi. I mean, gray jedi. I might allow them dodging the automatic DSP for using some powers under certain circumstances - but only if they used the power on non-sentients.

Let's consider Mechu-deru as an example - it seems to be a Dark Side power, but I'm unsure why. Actually making a technobeast might be Dark Side, sure, but using it for information and manipulation - and possibly for destroying droids? Not so sure.

Then, there's Force lightning. Throwing Force lightning on, say, IG-72 or something, shouldn't necessarily give a DSP in my opinion. Of course, the player should be careful about having their character expressing aggression, fear, and so on while using the Force - then the DSPs might start rolling in no matter what power one is employing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I never liked the idea that if you earn a DSP you roll and tou coukd go to the Darkside with a bad roll.

Think of it like some people and catching colds.
Some catch one just from being right around someone who has it. While others could spend an entire week in their presence and not catch it, but then could catch one a few weeks later, just on a whim. Its that vagueness that the D6 roll to resist represents.
IT is also there to stop players just doing 3-4 dark side things, then saying "ok i am done, i haven't turned since i am not at that 6 dSP cap, so i will go back to being a goody, goody to drop down my DSP total.
If they have to fear turning each time they rack one up (above the initial one that is), then it sets a limiter on them. Do they risk doing this one dark side thing, knowing it might be their time to turn?? Or do they go with it, hoping the dice will be with them..

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Btw, there aee some powers like Bolt of Hatred that by its very nature, you gain a DSP automatically.

Exactly. Force lightning, Force choke, INjure/kill, inflict pain.. There's quite a few powers that give auto dsps for using.

Quote:
I believe the idea is that the GM rolls the dice in secret to see if the character has fallen. The way I do this is that if I roll and the character has fallen, I give him subtly less and less warnings on if his actions are morally bad and let the player doom his own character or realise his own mistakes and pull back (atone).

SO they could turn , but they get to still play their character??
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But even learning those DS pwers give you a DSP. SO maybe they 'took one for the team', learned it, thus gaining the DSP, then redeamed themselves over time.. So they could then figure out a way to Counter those powers..

This is something I am willing to ignore for otherwise completely Light Side Jedi, particularly masters. If Aayla Secura wants to learn Force Lightning, for example, I'm not giving her a Dark Side Point for it.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SO they could turn , but they get to still play their character??

Until they reach 6 or more DSPs, yes (I figure that's the point they have gone too far)

I always give the players a chance to turn their character back before then, I think that's the point. I don't make it easy though, their character has to realise their mistakes in game first, not all players are able to do this due to the love of Kewl Powerz or whatever.

If they fail to turn back, then they become and NPC villain

Xain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: