The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rank the Star Wars films (old)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Rank the Star Wars films (old) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite Star Wars film?
The Phantom Menace
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Attack of the Clones
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Revenge of the Sith
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rogue One
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Star Wars: A New Hope
38%
 38%  [ 10 ]
The Empire Strikes Back
38%
 38%  [ 10 ]
Return of the Jedi
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
The Force Awakens
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Last Jedi
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 26

Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Rank the Star Wars films (theatrical/live-action)
Error wrote:
8. TCW movie

1,204. Attack of the Clones

FYI:
The OP is missing the TCW movie, which was a theatrical release.

FYI, the thread title specified "live-action" so the OP is not missing TCW.

Also, everyone knows that TCW theatrical film was just four 1st season episodes of the TCW TV series edited together and per Lucas was released "as an afterthought" during production of the show. This "movie" has no business being in the OP of this thread even if you like it better than one of the real Star wars films. Of course there's nothing wrong with you including TCW in your reply for that reason.

If someone wants to make a thread dedicated the Star Wars "movies" beyond the 8 theatrical live action films, knock yourself out.

Actually, it looks to me like the thread title says "theatrical/live action", which (because the author used a slash) does not exclude theatrical releases that aren't live-action. I get what you're saying, but any argument is ambiguous at best with the forward slash there (slashes in English generally mean "either/or"). Rather, the author could have added an ampersand in place of the slash or omitted the word "theatrical," in order to remove all doubt about what is meant.

And yes, I already know the TCW movies is really the first four shows, etc. etc. etc.
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order for me would be something like

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
The Phantom Menace
Revenge Of The Sith
Return Of The Jedi
Rogue One
Attack Of The Clones
and then way, way down the list at rank # 73765486 would be Force Awakens which may or may not be worse than the Holiday Special.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
and then way, way down the list at rank # 73765486 would be Force Awakens which may or may not be worse than the Holiday Special.

Whoah, whoah whoah, let's not say anything we can't take back! Shocked
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
WillTasker wrote:

I've never made a statement I was more accurate on.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
WillTasker wrote:

I think Whill and I (at the very least of all the posters here) would beg to differ as we both liked TFA (though, I will grant that I walked out of the theater a bit disaapointed with TFA b/c it seemed way too derivative of ANH but it's grown on me since).

You need to keep in mind what you're saying when you say that TFA was as bad (or almost as bad) as the Holiday Special. The HS was something that all the actors and even George Lucas himself regard as an Old Shame. Here's a quote from TvTropes about how they all feel about it:

Quote:
Everyone involved with The Star Wars Holiday Special feels this way about it, and as a result it only aired once, on TV, and hasn't seen the light of day since (not counting the tapes, mind you). Harrison Ford will completely deny the TV special's existence if you let him (which he infamously tried to do on The Conan O'Brien Show), and George Lucas has gone on record claiming if he had the time and resources he would hunt down and destroy every last copy. Anthony Daniels and Carrie Fisher have also mocked it, with the latter claiming to use her copy to drive away party guests when the night's done. If you're smart, you won't even mention it to George Lucas, even though he wasn't directly involved in it. note: Though it should be noted there are two aversions. Lev Mailer, who played the imperial officer hassling the store owner, is quite proud of his part and admits to have enjoyed the experience. Bea Arthur, who played Bea Arthur, went on record saying she had a wonderful time even though all she remembered was "singing to a bunch of people with funny heads".

You're entitled to your opinion about TFA, of course. But saying that TFA was as bad as the Holiday Special would essentially be the same as saying that TFA was so bad that everyone (or nearly everyone) who worked on it or saw it would all agree that it should not have existed in the first place. That's true for the Holiday Special but it's demonstrably not true for TFA. How do we know this? Because the Holiday Special was shown only once on TV and was never shown again and went on to be disowned by its creators, while TFA went on to become one of the highest grossing movies of all time.

So when you say that TFA was as bad (or nearly as bad) as the Holiday Special, I want to make sure that you understand the full meaning of what you're saying.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rank the live-action theatrical Star Wars films Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
RedKnight wrote:
Around the survivors a perimeter create 'what?' 'sorry i had to cough, create a perimeter around the survivors'

Yoda is not always consistent with his object-subject-verb pattern, like here in this imperative where the subject is understood. "A perimeter around the survivors create" would be more typical Yodaspeak.

I dunno, I understood what Yoda meant when he said this. Consistent or not, it wasn't hard to understand his meaning, at least for me. I was more impressed by the nature of the Big D@mn Heroes moment than I was distracted by Yoda's "Yoda syntax." Basically, when I saw the clone army swoop in as Yoda was speaking, I thought, "Woot! Big D@mn Heroes moment!" rather than "Huh, what the hell did Yoda mean?"

IOW, I was more 8) Mr. Green than Confused Shocked

I broke down the parts of speech. Even on my first viewing, I understood exactly what Yoda meant. I'm pretty sure RedKnight wasn't expressing it was hard to understand either. I think he just disagreed with the wording. Big difference.

Error wrote:
Actually, it looks to me like the thread title says "theatrical/live action", which (because the author used a slash) does not exclude theatrical releases that aren't live-action. I get what you're saying, but any argument is ambiguous at best with the forward slash there (slashes in English generally mean "either/or"). Rather, the author could have added an ampersand in place of the slash or omitted the word "theatrical," in order to remove all doubt about what is meant.

And yes, I already know the TCW movies is really the first four shows, etc. etc. etc.

I'm the author. I see that using a slash was ambiguous because it can mean "and" and it can also mean "or". I felt it was pretty clear from context, but I guess it wasn't. I saw TCW in the theater on the second day of release and for the 4th time recently, and I don't see how a discussion of the real live action theatrical films warrants inclusion of this 4-episode kids cartoon "movie" released as an afterthought to its TV production. It's such an alien concept to me, but I'll be careful not to be that vague again. I edited the OP's title for further clarity so it is now boldly clear to everyone that TCW is not "missing" from the OP. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
WillTasker wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
WillTasker wrote:

I think Whill and I (at the very least of all the posters here) would beg to differ as we both liked TFA (though, I will grant that I walked out of the theater a bit disaapointed with TFA b/c it seemed way too derivative of ANH but it's grown on me since).

You need to keep in mind what you're saying when you say that TFA was as bad (or almost as bad) as the Holiday Special. The HS was something that all the actors and even George Lucas himself regard as an Old Shame.

Quoting from TVTropes does ... not exactly speak well for your side of things. Wink

As to my earlier statement, I stand by it. TFA is one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. Full stop. Do not go past Go. Do not collect $500. There are entire scenes of exposition that go:

Rey: [Technical Mumbojumbo]
Han: [Technical Mumbojumbo]
Han & Rey: (Simultaneously) [Technical Mumbojumbo]

Basically, the whole exchange isn't about progressing the plot - but about someone trying REALLY HARD to validate their new character with one that everyone loves. Its a very transparent and exceedingly bad style of typing (not writing, as Truman Capote once joked). And the film is FILLED with stuff like that.

The cusp of it is that we waited 30 years to find out all our childhood heroes were failures in life: Leia becomes a war-mongering political outsider, Luke fails at bringing back the Jedi and then hides (out of shame? fear?) and Han is a deadbeat dad who leaves his wife and kid like a guy in a midlife crisis buying a Porsche. Yeah. Great. Where are all those people who said Lucas ruined their childhood with the prequels now? Because thats... literally what I just wrote?

Beyond that: theres even some really weird issues with the film. Why do we never get a good view of Han Solo's new ship? Why does the Empire decide its a good idea to mine/terraform/up-end a planet into a Death Star (which seems logistically worse and/or stupid)? Why is there a Resistance at all - shouldn't the New Republic have a military that doesn't require some sort of nonsense, low-rent expeditionary force to keep an eye on the Empire/New Order? (It seems like a bad carry-over from the also-awful Battlestar Galactica reboot.)

The whole movie is a hollow, inept lie told badly. None of the new characters are memorable, none of the original films characters act like they should, there's glaring inconsistencies not only with in-universe stuff but simple storytelling rules. I get that people are angry the film stays a little too close to ANH but the issues are much worse and much deeper than that.

After watching it the first time, I told my friend I am forced to believe an all-powerful God exists and must hate humanity, as only the power of an anthropomorphic deity could have a person graduate from Sarah Lawrence College - where Joseph Campbell taught for many years - but have no goddamned idea of how to adhere to a monomyth style storytelling.

I take no issue if someone likes the film. But to the film its self, its trash.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Poe but he felt like the new han solo . TFA wasnt awful but it was nothing new (though the scene with the resistance fighters flying over the water and countering the first order attack on the cantina place was awesome). Star Killer was......stupid and throwing out little things like gravity wells made me sad.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING: INCOMING WALL OF TEXT. YOU NOW HAVE 0 SECONDS TO REACH MINIMUM SAFE DISTANCE. OH, SHI--

WillTasker wrote:
Quoting from TVTropes does ... not exactly speak well for your side of things. Wink

And why is that exactly? What's wrong with TvTropes? It's a website that lists types of literary devices used in stories of different media and, as in the example I quoted, sometimes quotes the actors or directors about their experiences on set. What is this unstated flaw that damages TvTropes' credibility for you? Please tell us because you didn't mention it in your post. We're not mind-readers here, so we can't telepathically tell what you're thinking. You have to type it for us if you want us to know.

WillTasker wrote:
As to my earlier statement, I stand by it. TFA is one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. Full stop. Do not go past Go. Do not collect $500. There are entire scenes of exposition that go:

Rey: [Technical Mumbojumbo]
Han: [Technical Mumbojumbo]
Han & Rey: (Simultaneously) [Technical Mumbojumbo]

Basically, the whole exchange isn't about progressing the plot - but about someone trying REALLY HARD to validate their new character with one that everyone loves. Its a very transparent and exceedingly bad style of typing (not writing, as Truman Capote once joked). And the film is FILLED with stuff like that.

Me, I didn't have a problem with the Rey-Han scenes like this because it showed that Rey was an excellent engineer who would be more than capable of taking care of the Millennium Falcon in the event that Han wouldn't be able to. And as it turned out, the Falcon became hers before the movie was over because Han died. That's called foreshadowing, one of those literary devices mentioned on TvTropes.

WillTasker wrote:
The cusp of it is that we waited 30 years to find out all our childhood heroes were failures in life: Leia becomes a war-mongering political outsider, Luke fails at bringing back the Jedi and then hides (out of shame? fear?) and Han is a deadbeat dad who leaves his wife and kid like a guy in a midlife crisis buying a Porsche. Yeah. Great. Where are all those people who said Lucas ruined their childhood with the prequels now? Because thats... literally what I just wrote?

We waited 30 years to find out that our heroes turn out to be flawed human beings, rather than superheroes. That makes them more relatable. To wit:

Luke's life's work was destroyed by his own nephew and he predictably underwent a Heroic BSOD. Oh noes, Reality Ensued.

Granted that this is All There In The Manual and not in the movie itself: Leia's parentage (being the daughter of Darth Vader) is revealed to the galaxy at large and her political career and influence is suddenly ended, so she can't convince the New Republic that the First Order is an approaching threat and she is turned into what the galaxy at large thinks is a Windmill Political when we in the audience know that she's the Cassandra and that she is right all along. (This echoes our own history with the rise of fascism; plenty of people saw the approaching danger but were ignored by everyone else.) Oh noes, Reality Ensued.

Han and Leia predictably become estranged and get separated due to both their completely different natures as well as their son going on a murderous rampage and defecting to the enemy. Plenty of real-world couples get divorced over much less; Han and Leia were (merely) separated. Hmm, there's that Reality thing Ensuing once again.

WillTasker wrote:
Beyond that: theres even some really weird issues with the film. Why do we never get a good view of Han Solo's new ship? Why does the Empire decide its a good idea to mine/terraform/up-end a planet into a Death Star (which seems logistically worse and/or stupid)? Why is there a Resistance at all - shouldn't the New Republic have a military that doesn't require some sort of nonsense, low-rent expeditionary force to keep an eye on the Empire/New Order? (It seems like a bad carry-over from the also-awful Battlestar Galactica reboot.)

Do we particularly need more views of the Erevana than we got? We did see the whole of the ship for a few seconds as it was "swallowing" the Falcon. Did we need more of that before the reveal that it was Han Solo and Chewbacca piloting it? The lack of visual shots of the Erevana highlights (to me, anyway) that Han loves the Falcon far more than the Erevana even though the latter is a much bigger, though slower, ship (and likely worth more in the after-owner market). Han doesn't hesitate to abandon the Erevana but won't leave without the Falcon. He loves one ship but doesn't care a whit about the other. So the lack of visual love for the Erevana makes sense from a meta point of view.

The first time I saw Starkiller Base with its terraforming actually digging past its planetary crust, the first thing I thought was "Damn, how did the First Order have the technological capability to do that? They must have come up with some radical technological advances to have managed that." And then we see it's way more powerful than the Death Star ever was, commensurate with the radically greater threat.

As I noted above, the New Republic government and military didn't think the First Order was a threat, even when Leia repeatedly warned them. So Leia had to form the Resistance to fight the First Order instead. It's not like Princess Leia could stand by and do nothing. And the New Republic had become complacent in peacetime. That makes perfect sense to me.

WillTasker wrote:
The whole movie is a hollow, inept lie told badly. None of the new characters are memorable, none of the original films characters act like they should, there's glaring inconsistencies not only with in-universe stuff but simple storytelling rules. I get that people are angry the film stays a little too close to ANH but the issues are much worse and much deeper than that.

After watching it the first time, I told my friend I am forced to believe an all-powerful God exists and must hate humanity, as only the power of an anthropomorphic deity could have a person graduate from Sarah Lawrence College - where Joseph Campbell taught for many years - but have no goddamned idea of how to adhere to a monomyth style storytelling.

I take no issue if someone likes the film. But to the film itself, its trash.

Appropriate Quote Time:

The Dude wrote:
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

RedKnight wrote:
I liked Poe but he felt like the new han solo . TFA wasnt awful but it was nothing new (though the scene with the resistance fighters flying over the water and countering the first order attack on the cantina place was awesome). Star Killer was......stupid and throwing out little things like gravity wells made me sad.

Poe, Rey and Finn each embody an aspect of Luke Skywalker.

Poe is the brash pilot (Luke: Best pilot in the Outer Rim Territories; Poe: Best Pilot in the Resistance).

Rey is the latent Force-sensitive living on a backwater desert world dreaming of a better future.

Finn is the Everyman who gets called to a higher destiny and at first refuses the call, but then throws himself wholeheartedly into the cause.

RedKnight, where in TFA were gravity wells mentioned? I must have missed that.
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
And why is that exactly? What's wrong with TvTropes?

TVTropes is silly. The userbase is insane even for the internet and their collective appeal to so build a database to homogenize storytelling and basically acknowledge things that have been used for ages. (Fun tip: a trope isn't a bad thing; its how its used that can be good or bad. Trick of it is that the site doesn't depend on that - it paints everything with the broadest brush possible: "I have noticed the thing and thus I am superior to it and its creators" which is, if you'll pardon a borrowed term, smart for stupids.)

WillTasker wrote:
Me, I didn't have a problem with the Rey-Han scenes like this because it showed that Rey was an excellent engineer who would be more than capable of taking care of the Millennium Falcon in the event that Han wouldn't be able to. And as it turned out, the Falcon became hers before the movie was over because Han died. That's called foreshadowing, one of those literary devices mentioned on TvTropes.

... if you're honestly going to lean this hard on a simple literary concept as foreshadowing through TVTropes, I'm just gonna leave this thread now because I'm already getting a tension headache.

I'll leave this here. Apologies since its all in caps lock, but he makes a good argument why TFA is trash. If you read it, cool and if you don't, cool. My days of laying waste to threads over my verbose opinion is best left a decade ago.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/28/star-wars-the-force-alluded-to
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
TVTropes is silly. The userbase is insane even for the internet and their collective appeal to so build a database to homogenize storytelling and basically acknowledge things that have been used for ages. (Fun tip: a trope isn't a bad thing; its how its used that can be good or bad. Trick of it is that the site doesn't depend on that - it paints everything with the broadest brush possible: "I have noticed the thing and thus I am superior to it and its creators" which is, if you'll pardon a borrowed term, smart for stupids.)

Hmm, Will says "TvTropes is silly" as a way of dismissing it and then accuses the website of sneering superiority (a website that acknowledges its informality and irreverence) just after he was acting superior.

Does WillTasker's statement qualify as irony? Even after reading the definition of irony, I'm still a bit fuzzy on how it works, I can't quite grok it.

Now is my sarcasm here ironic? D@mn, this is getting meta....

And I just realized: I just linked to TvTropes definition of Irony under my (possibly mistaken) belief that it has an accurate definition of irony after Will said why he doesn't trust TvTropes, i.e. because it's inaccurate. Is that ironic?

D@mn, now this is getting really meta.... Mr. Green
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
For those of you that don't love every movie, I'm confident that this thread won't turn into a bash-fest.

Perhaps my overconfidence was my weakness.

WillTasker wrote:
and then way, way down the list at rank # 73765486 would be Force Awakens which may or may not be worse than the Holiday Special... I've never made a statement I was more accurate on.

This is clearly a sensationalized statement meant to drag the bait through the water.

WillTasker wrote:
<snip bash-fest>...After watching it the first time, I told my friend I am forced to believe an all-powerful God exists and must hate humanity, as only the power of an anthropomorphic deity...

How dramatic. This hating god is not all powerful in his hatred because he falls significantly short of hating all humanity. Over $2 billion short worldwide. Obviously, many people love TFA so this hate-god you speak of has no power over them.

WillTasker wrote:
...a person graduate from Sarah Lawrence College - where Joseph Campbell taught for many years - but have no goddamned idea of how to adhere to a monomyth style storytelling.

As a Joseph Campbell scholar, this statement shows that you don't know what you're talking about. TFA resonates greatly with the Hero's Journey in many of the same ways ANH does (perhaps aided by their similarities).

And it's obvious that JJ Abram's Sarah Lawrence education is serving him quite well. Please update us when your monomyth-storytelling movie comes out and I'll be happy to rank it against JJ Abrams' films.

WillTasker wrote:
My days of laying waste to threads over my verbose opinion is best left a decade ago.

This we agree on. We do not "lay waste" to threads with verbose opinions here. This is a community united in our love for the WEG SW RPG.

WillTasker wrote:
I'll leave this here. Apologies since its all in caps lock, but he makes a good argument why TFA is trash. If you read it, cool and if you don't, cool...

That's not what this thread is at all. This thread is about ranking your own completely personal subjective likes and dislikes of the live-action theatrical films against each other. Everyone is fully capable of determining whether they like TFA. Why read someone else's opinion in a blog when we can just watch the movie directly and decide for ourselves? Personal preferences for and against films aren't argued as if you can sway others to hate the film as much as you do. And if others love TFA, why would you even try to take that away from someone? Why must others hate it as much as you? Misery loves company? I'm truly sorry you hate a Star Wars film so much that feel you need to bash it online and persuade others to agree with you.

WillTasker wrote:
But to the film its self, its trash.

We've heard quite enough of why you rank TFA as last. I ask you kindly to please cease and desist the bash-fest. Honestly, if you're willing to change gears I'd still be interested in hearing some positive things from you, like the good qualities of the films at the top of your list. In an earlier post I took time to document 7 things I love about my least favorite film. Can you bring yourself to do that for even your #1 favorite film?

WillTasker wrote:
I'm just gonna leave this thread now because I'm already getting a tension headache

That may be for the best. You seem to be upsetting yourself more than anyone else.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This we agree on. We do not "lay waste" to threads with verbose opinions here. This is a community united in our love for the WEG SW RPG.

I agree wholeheartedly. I half-expected a reply to my dislike of TFA and think I've said more than enough on the topic as is. I'll do my best to avoid the subject on this board.

As to the rest of your reply, we can take that up elsewhere (on this board?), if you actually want to go down that avenue.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my rankings:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. The Force Awakens
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. A New Hope
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace doesn't deserve to even be called a Star Wars film.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I can also give brief commentaries like some of you have given for your rankings...

1. A New Hope - The original classic that literally stood alone for 3 years. Battle of Yavin is the best climax. Two trench runs failed. Vader killed Biggs. Luke's alone. Luke, you switched off your targeting computer. What's wrong? I've lost Artoo! Commence primary ignition. I have you now...What?! Yahoo! BOOM! How can any film beat that?!

2. The Force Awakens - High quality reprise of ANH and love letter to the classic trilogy. Han Solo being the Old Ben of this movie is great. Seems very standalone but my ranking could change after the trilogy is complete.

3. Rogue One - High quality immediate prequel to ANH, a classic era movie made today, deepens and compliments ANH. RO made me love ANH a little more.

4. The Phantom Menace - Arguable most standalone film after ANH, inspired by ANH and early draft "Hidden Fortress" plot aspects shed from ANH (which actually give it some unexpected originality for a Star Wars movie). Epic lightsaber battle as a part of well constructed climax with best Star Wars musical theme (Duel of the Fates). Qui-Gon is a great Old Ben. Nice contrast between the psychology of younger and older protagonists (Anakin is more instinctive/still immersed in the subconscious/"oops", while Luke has a more developed ego so has to be told to let go of it). Great set-up of whole saga.

5. Revenge of the Sith - High quality action from start to finish. Tragic downfall of the Jedi and rise of the Empire. Anakin's betrayal and Order 66 are moving. Epic lightsaber/Force battles, especially Yoda vs Palpatine and Obi-Wan vs Anakin Vader. Obi-Wan's victory and the Immolation are so sad. So many delightful parallels to RotJ.

6. Return of the Jedi - Even with Ewoks, this original "another Death Star" film is a good climactic clash of good vs evil, the original resolution film got even more resolution with the prequel trilogy as Anakin the fallen knight returns, fulfills the prophecy and destroys the Sith.

7. The Empire Strikes Back - A great classic film, the original SW sequel with dark twists, Imperial March, only this low on my list by virtue of me liking the others even more. These top 7 movies are my fave 7 films of all movies. So I do not at all think of TESB as "low" or not well liked. I LOVE TESB.

8. Attack of the Clones - This one is a bit lower in that there are several non-Star-Wars movies I like better. Least standalone SW film (painfully obvious there just to connect A to C). Weakest climax, AotC had the weakest lightsaber battle of the 7 films that have them, actually 3 short successive battles against Dooku (Obi-Wan's lasted 35 second, Anakin's was 50 seconds, and Yoda's was 39 seconds). Unconvincing and wholly cringe-worthy love story. I love Christopher Lee, but Dooku as a villain and AotC as whole are dramatically weakened further by Dooku's early death in RotS (necessary for that plot, but it does nothing to help AotC). For the record my least favorite live action theatrical SW film is still leaps and bounds more enjoyable than the TCW "movie", the animated TV shows, the Ewok TV movies, and most all non-Star-Wars movie I have ever seen in my life.

A pattern emerges from my rankings. Notice how the top has the first parts of the trilogies (and a "Part 1/2"), then the trilogy conclusions, then the middle chapters (with the least resolution).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun May 14, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: