The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Firearms and force users
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Firearms and force users Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe that could be the complication the jedi gets if he gets a 1 on the wild die.. That he did melt the bullet, but gets a face full of molten metal for his troubles..

That removes a lot of the danger of slugthrowers. It certainly is a more elegant solution, but from what I've read, they're considered the go-to ranged weapons for countering Jedi. I'm not sure which way to go with it. I think I'd only use them if I wanted to scare the pants off my players, and would stat them as such.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would allow slugthrowers to be scary against low and mid level force users. Against someone say, trying to bust a cap in the Emperor they would possibly suffer the Bugs Bunny Shotgun effect via TK.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mention shotguns, I'd say that would be a go-to weapon against Jedi. A buckshot round from a 12 gauge fires 8-12 .33 caliber pellets, which would be very difficult to parry all at once, not to mention they can't be reflected back. Add to that the fact that we have fully automatic shotguns in the here-and-now and the numbers really start stacking up against a Force user.

On top of that, shotguns are ideal for using specialty rounds for different effects. Picture a Jedi Hunter equipped with a forearm-mounted, fully automatic shotgun loaded with cortosis buckshot:
    1). A hail of pellets almost impossible to parry, even for a Jedi Master.

2). If they do parry, the cortosis shuts down the saber, leaving them open to subsequent attacks.

3). The wrist mounting means the Jedi can't TK it out of their grasp.

Somewhere, garhkal is drooling like Pavlov's dog...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant about busting a cap in the Emperor and the Bugs Bunny thing was that TK would be used to push against the front of the wadding/slug and cause your weapon to blow up in your face. I'd probably only let guys with names like "Master" or " Darth" pull this off, and would have to look in the book to figure out the difficulty of this feat. At the very least I would allow a Obi Wan vs Gatling Gauntlet type thing to happen.

I think that cocky novice force users (like PC characters) would be hurting rather badly with that, though. Legendary Master/ Darth guys, not so much.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

3). The wrist mounting means the Jedi can't TK it out of their grasp.[/list]

If it's wrist mounted, it should be just as easy to yank it away as if it was being held. Heck easier as all you need to do is go against the suit's body rating, rather than the person's full str rating.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine what House rule you are playing by which rules that a human grip is stronger than the bolts holding something like this into an armor suit.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you know, a magnetic grip on a cybernetic hand, or even a locking gauntlet that is locked tight to armor.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Or, you know, a magnetic grip on a cybernetic hand, or even a locking gauntlet that is locked tight to armor.

Thank you; that's the point I was getting at. Regardless of the method, the idea is to utilize this weapon in such a way that it can't be easily removed from the shooter's grasp.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Since you mention shotguns, I'd say that would be a go-to weapon against Jedi. A buckshot round from a 12 gauge fires 8-12 .33 caliber pellets, which would be very difficult to parry all at once, not to mention they can't be reflected back. Add to that the fact that we have fully automatic shotguns in the here-and-now and the numbers really start stacking up against a Force user.

On top of that, shotguns are ideal for using specialty rounds for different effects. Picture a Jedi Hunter equipped with a forearm-mounted, fully automatic shotgun loaded with cortosis buckshot:

2). If they do parry, the cortosis shuts down the saber, leaving them open to subsequent attacks.

Things like this are why I think shields (as in, hunks of metal that you interpose between yourself and danger) are consistently undervalued in RPGs.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Things like this are why I think shields (as in, hunks of metal that you interpose between yourself and danger) are consistently undervalued in RPGs.

And shotguns like these could make shield gauntlets like the ones Sabine Wren has and personal energy shields like the Gungans used at the Battle of Naboo in vogue once more.

That would be pretty cool.
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
And shotguns like these could make shield gauntlets like the ones Sabine Wren has and personal energy shields like the Gungans used at the Battle of Naboo in vogue once more.

My players are way ahead of you. I made the mistake of an NPC dropping an energy "riot" shield at a prison, and now it's the primary tool of the pacifist Ithorian PC. Great for characterization, not so great for combat.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

My players are way ahead of you. I made the mistake of an NPC dropping an energy "riot" shield at a prison, and now it's the primary tool of the pacifist Ithorian PC. Great for characterization, not so great for combat.

Out of curiosity, what sort of rules are you using?
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

In a snap decision when it happened, I allowed him to use the shield and melee parry to absorb (not deflect) incoming energy bolts.

Were I to do it again, I'd make a separate Shield skill under Dexterity and use it in the same way as Lightsaber for deflecting blaster bolts (except the shield doesn't reflect them, only neutralizes them).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

In a snap decision when it happened, I allowed him to use the shield and melee parry to absorb (not deflect) incoming energy bolts.

Were I to do it again, I'd make a separate Shield skill under Dexterity and use it in the same way as Lightsaber for deflecting blaster bolts (except the shield doesn't reflect them, only neutralizes them).

At what point does a Blaster bolt overload the shield's ability to absorb it?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

With the sheer size of the SW galaxy, i am surprised more planets don't HAVE shields like that.. For the times groups go into melee, or better yet, for fire fights to help close in...
CRMcNeill wrote:
Dustflier wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

At what point does a Blaster bolt overload the shield's ability to absorb it?

Exactly what i was gonna ask. Does it have a set "absorb" rating? Can it be over loaded, and if so, is it treated like damage coming through cover?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: