The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Noghri disguised as Jawas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Noghri disguised as Jawas Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does that come from? Certainly not any of the novels i have ever read.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I believe that's the KOTOR continuity. Wookiepedia footnotes those to "The New Essential Chronlogy"... which is itself 12 years old, and predates TFA, so who knows if its canon, still.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I believe that's the KOTOR continuity. Wookiepedia footnotes those to "The New Essential Chronlogy"... which is itself 12 years old, and predates TFA, so who knows if its canon, still.

It's EU/Legends continuity until canonized in the new canon, which it hasn't been yet. I do think it is extremely likely there was a common ancestor between Sand People and Jawas on Tatooine, but I don't see them being spread throughout the galaxy with near-species offshoots, but that's just me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It's EU/Legends continuity until canonized in the new canon, which it hasn't been yet. I do think it is extremely likely there was a common ancestor between Sand People and Jawas on Tatooine, but I don't see them being spread throughout the galaxy with near-species offshoots, but that's just me.

I'm similar, though I'm also a bit "To what extent does it matter"? While there can certainly be stories where it's important, how much does it matter to the galaxy at large that, 20,000+ years ago, Jawas and Sand People were the same race, who took different paths, with one becoming pygmy technophiles and the other becoming xenophobes?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes no sense though. How can 1 species split like that, creating 2 offshoots, one way smaller than the other?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That makes no sense though. How can 1 species split like that, creating 2 offshoots, one way smaller than the other?

Their xenophobia and technophilia, respectively, are likely cultural traits... i.e. not something that are intrinsic to the Raiders or Jawas. For the physical? Lots of ways.

Insular dwarfism, for example. If we put the ancestral Jawas in a low-resource environment (such as caves on Tattooine, also explaining their glowing eyes), then smaller size (and greater low-light vision) would be selected for which, over generations, gives you a much smaller average height.

The proto-Raiders, on the other hand, might wind up with different pressures... while they are also in a low-resource environment, they might find relatively greater height to be advantageous... better heat dispersal, increased height giving a perception or leverage advantage, or simply not a trait that was selected against by the environment, leaving them closer to the mean of the original species. They might have selected for other features... such as retaining a nictitating membrane that the jawas found less useful.

I mean, we see this in dogs... St. Bernards are the same species as Chihuahuas, but have far different sizes as the result of external pressure (in this case, human intentional breeding). Likewise, St. Bernards have a different pelt, again meeting the requirements of their environment. In the 16,000 years between the Raktans and KOTOR, you are looking at 800 generations. Toss in the idea that the Raktans were already muddling with genetics, or increased exposure to solar radiation due to the depletion of the hydrosphere, and saying "This one branch of the species is about twice as tall as this other branch"... especially if you posit the Kumumgah stood about 1.4 meters tall, and the Jawas and Raiders diverge from that point, driving the average heights down and up, respectively, 40cm, rather than one or the other changing 80cm.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

How can Gorillas be so strong and Humans be so weak? We all used to be fish if you go back far enough. Evolution is a beautiful thing. Plus, as Nexx mentioned, it wasn't always natural processes in the SW galaxy because there were ancient advanced beings that performed genetic engineering on species of the galaxy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention it’s idiomatic in the genre; think Eloi and Morlocks.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

However the Elo and morloks were not that much different in size.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbits, 50 000 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_floresiensis
Neanderthals, 40 000 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal
Kumumgah, 26 000 years ago: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kumumgah

Sand People were distinct at least 4 000 years ago. Same likely goes for Jawa.

Given the kind of tampering the Rakata tended to do to their food / slaves, the speciation process only strains my credulity, it doesn't break it.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Falconer wrote:

However the Elo and morloks were not that much different in size.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_average_human_height_worldwide]
It's only about 80cm, and humans have a range of about 30cm.[/url]

Like I said, think dogs. Like the Jawas and Sand People, you're looking at about 15,000 years since the dog was domesticated... a similar amount of time between the Rakatans and KOTOR. Yet dogs, still the same species, can have variances of 90cm in height, and huge weight variances.

And this isn't including things like specific genetic mutations, like dwarfism. Consider, for example, the Amish and their propensity towards dwarfism, because they are relatively genetically insular, and a few early members of their tribe carried dwarfism genes. Prevalence of that equivalent in the early Jawas (or a gigantism variant in the early Raiders) could easily lead to the current situation, especially given 15000 years of cultural separation.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The taller Jawas shown on screen were within a foot of the height of the Sandpeople shown on screen. There was greater variance within the Jawa race than that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: