The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pbp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Pbp
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Savar
Captain
Captain


Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Posts: 533

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Pbp Reply with quote

Any good advice for GMing pbp?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1226
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBP works best as sort of a weird sandbox... give them someplace to interact with things, and don't necessarily push the interactions towards combat... combat slows PBP to a crawl.

Do not be ambitious with your posting schedule. It is easy to find yourself waiting on someone's actions, or putting it off because something came up, and killing your PBP with a lack of posting. In very few cases have I seen a PBP end... they simply sputter and die.
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Savar
Captain
Captain


Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Posts: 533

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I was thinking of having a 2-3 day posting cycle.

Not kill char, maybe sideline them in a way they could return. Or if a player had to leave for a while have the char do something off screen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Telsij
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Dec 2016
Posts: 237

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Thank you.

I was thinking of having a 2-3 day posting cycle.

Not kill char, maybe sideline them in a way they could return. Or if a player had to leave for a while have the char do something off screen.


Ahoy, Verpine Savar. Did you begin this game already? I and one another person on the boards (noctum_carpe?) have some renewed interest. 2-3 days is totally doable -- or have you already begun?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral


Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 2477
Location: Lidköping, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats true i would like to play again Very Happy
_________________
http://selarips.free.fr/wookieetranslator/

You may fire when ready
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral


Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 2477
Location: Lidköping, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUm it's not been my experience that combat per see makes things go slower more that some players post extremly a lot and some not at all for a few hours, sometimes you have to wait a little or have a persons character do something logical to move the plot along.
_________________
http://selarips.free.fr/wookieetranslator/

You may fire when ready
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Telsij
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Dec 2016
Posts: 237

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
In very few cases have I seen a PBP end... they simply sputter and die.


Oh man, that's a shame -- though unsurprising. In your experience,
for the rare completed adventures, how long do they usually last.
Months? Are there standard practices for GM and other players to
follow in the case of non-response causing things to grind to a halt?


Last edited by Telsij on Tue May 02, 2017 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1226
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
In very few cases have I seen a PBP end... they simply sputter and die.


Oh man, that's a shame -- though unsurprising. In your experience,
for the rare completed adventures, how long does they usually last.
Months? Are there standard practices for GM and other players to
follow in the case of non-response causing things to grind to a halt?


Bear in mind, this was a few years ago, but most last a good couple of months. A few players who were initially into it flake off, but you can keep a good core going for a couple of years... and then there's enough "life damage" that the original group is more or less gone, if the GM didn't take it, first.
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Telsij
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Dec 2016
Posts: 237

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Telsij wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
In very few cases have I seen a PBP end... they simply sputter and die.


Oh man, that's a shame -- though unsurprising. In your experience,
for the rare completed adventures, how long does they usually last.
Months? Are there standard practices for GM and other players to
follow in the case of non-response causing things to grind to a halt?


Bear in mind, this was a few years ago, but most last a good couple of months. A few players who were initially into it flake off, but you can keep a good core going for a couple of years... and then there's enough "life damage" that the original group is more or less gone, if the GM didn't take it, first.


Managed to join a pretty fun game shortly after my earlier posts in this thread -- set in the Rebellion era, and we're currently at Maz Kanata's castle --
but as of just this week, it's ground to a halt, due to the GM beginning work on a new job -- which, of course, is good news and we're glad for him!

3 players (myself included) are posting once a day or so, but because the other 2-3 players are off with NPC's, it's been spinning its wheels
-- and I think we've become wary of "talking too much" amongst ourselves. Oh well, comes with the territory I guess. My first PbP, so I'm super into it either way.


Last edited by Telsij on Fri May 12, 2017 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1226
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one game peter out on me, about the time our gang had gone to s***, and I started writing, essentially, fanfiction of my character. I just spent a bit looking for it, but it looks like it's all gone.
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Telsij
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Dec 2016
Posts: 237

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I had one game peter out on me, about the time our gang had gone to s***, and I started writing, essentially, fanfiction of my character. I just spent a bit looking for it, but it looks like it's all gone.


Ha, I hear that -- I have quite an RPG crush on the PC I created for the game (and I don't mean that in an lascivious way, just that I am super into the character) and my pages long character sheet background could constitute fan-fic.

How long did the PbP game for your character go? Did you make it through the initial adventure before the group petered out? Was it a months/years-long PbP? A shame all the writing was lost then. Hard drive crash?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1226
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
I had one game peter out on me, about the time our gang had gone to s***, and I started writing, essentially, fanfiction of my character. I just spent a bit looking for it, but it looks like it's all gone.


Ha, I hear that -- I have quite an RPG crush on the PC I created for the game (and I don't mean that in an lascivious way, just that I am super into the character) and my pages long character sheet background could constitute fan-fic.

How long did the PbP game for your character go? Did you make it through the initial adventure before the group petered out? Was it a months/years-long PbP? A shame all the writing was lost then. Hard drive crash?


Nah, we barely made it in at all. A couple months, maybe, before the GMs schedule filled up, combined with a bunch of people dropping prior to that. I just wrote occasional notes about the guy... the gang fell apart, so he started working at a Sushi joint when he managed to save a Yakuza boss. Then he was Yak for a while, then working the streets again when he screwed up too many times.

As for the writing being lost? Livejournal purge, mostly.
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0