The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How much is a starting DSP "Worth"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

I know this question goes a bit beyond the standard rules but...

What would you say, mechanically, starting with a Dark Side Point should be worth? An Attribute/Force Skill die? A Skill Die? A Specialization? A Force Power?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Question.

I actually don't know, that is the best answer I can give.
From mind I think there is a template written up in classic heroes or clare skies, the disgraced dark apprentice.

Looking over the template I can't see the added DSP gives anything positive in return.
However I have seen in most cases cutom templates and house rules that do offer anyone to an added force point to a special ability or 1D worth.
Some also give added starting CP where the DSP character starts with +5CP compared to the non DSP character.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Failed Jedi template starts with 1 DSP, but gets nothing for it.

I had a character with a bloodline trait (completely house ruled) which required that the character start with "a number of darkside points greater than 0" (subject to player/gm discussion).

The concept was that the bloodline was particularly susceptible to the dark side while having greater than usual heroic potential (essentially the light/dark dichotomy amplified to a greater degree).

Start of Game
1 (or more) DSPs
All athletic skills (running, acrobatics, climbing/jumpinng, lifting, stamina, swimming) cost 1/2 CP to raise forever (natural talent).

Lure of the Dark Side
Willpower roll required to spend FP. If failed, FP is spent as normal, and gain a DSP.
When atoning, must pay 2 FPs per DSP.
While character's DSP total is greater than 0 and less than 6, must pay one additional CP to raise any non-athletic skills.

Heroic Destiny (Upon Complete Atonement and while DSP total remains 0)
+1D bonus on all willpower rolls (not an actual increase to the character's skill)
If willpower roll to spend FP is failed, may forgo the FP bonus in order to avoid the DSP (FP still spent, but this usually counted as heroic FP use).
When spending CPs to increase a die roll, roll one additional bonus die (1 CP = +2D bonus, 2 CP = +3D bonus, etc.)
When spending a FP, the character my choose to voluntarily fail the willpower check. If so, the FP bonus is gained, but the FP is not spent. The character gains a DSP, and an additional +1D bonus on all skill rolls for 2 rounds after the FP expires (the dark side wants to lure the character back).

I know that's kind of extravagant and beyond the scope of a general "rulebook" type of rule. But just posting it in case it's helpful for the discussion.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to house rule something on the fly, I'd just give them an extra 1D in starting Skill Dice (8D total) and be done with it. 1 DSP doesn't really count for that much, since by the RAW, you're in no danger of losing your character to the Dark Side. I've heard of House Rules that increase the Difficulty of Force Powers for every DSP you have, but that seems counterintuitive to how the Force and the Dark Side function. Instead, I'd be more inclined to have DSPs increase the Difficulty for my Willpower House Rule, at +5 Difficulty per DSP.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If I had to house rule something on the fly, I'd just give them an extra 1D in starting Skill Dice (8D total) and be done with it. 1 DSP doesn't really count for that much, since by the RAW, you're in no danger of losing your character to the Dark Side. I've heard of House Rules that increase the Difficulty of Force Powers for every DSP you have, but that seems counterintuitive to how the Force and the Dark Side function. Instead, I'd be more inclined to have DSPs increase the Difficulty for my Willpower House Rule, at +5 Difficulty per DSP.

I thought the RAW was that 1 DSP gave you +1D on Force skills, unless you specifically suppressed it and took a penalty, instead (p. 141)?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I thought the RAW was that 1 DSP gave you +1D on Force skills, unless you specifically suppressed it and took a penalty, instead (p. 141)?

Yes. That's how it works.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

What would you say, mechanically, starting with a Dark Side Point should be worth? An Attribute/Force Skill die? A Skill Die? A Specialization? A Force Power?

Why should it be worth something??
Taking a look in core books, we see the Failed jedi. Starts with A DSP.. Still has the same 18/7 as anyone else.
Heck, in Sparks, we allow the bounty hunter, to make a choice. BTB they are always non force sensitive. BUT we allow them the option to choose TO BE force sensitive, so they start with 2 fp, but have one dsp for it..

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've heard of House Rules that increase the Difficulty of Force Powers for every DSP you have, but that seems counterintuitive to how the Force and the Dark Side function. Instead, I'd be more inclined to have DSPs increase the Difficulty for my Willpower House Rule, at +5 Difficulty per DSP.

BTB you gain a +1d to activate force powers, PER DSP you have. BUT you are more supceptable of gaining MORE DSPS by accepting that bonus. IF YOu refuse that bonus, that's when the power use becomes harder..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Why should it be worth something??
Taking a look in core books, we see the Failed jedi. Starts with A DSP.. Still has the same 18/7 as anyone else.
Heck, in Sparks, we allow the bounty hunter, to make a choice. BTB they are always non force sensitive. BUT we allow them the option to choose TO BE force sensitive, so they start with 2 fp, but have one dsp for it..

Because, as a general rule, a voluntarily taken disadvantage should be worth something?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
BTB you gain a +1d to activate force powers, PER DSP you have. BUT you are more supceptable of gaining MORE DSPS by accepting that bonus. IF YOu refuse that bonus, that's when the power use becomes harder..
I double-checked the Rulebook w/r/t DSPs making characters more susceptible to getting more DSPs and the closest I can find is the rule for falling to the Dark side. In fact, where in the rules do characters even have a risk w/ modification for a chance to avoid getting a DSP when they otherwise might?

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd grant the character an extra 1D in an attribute, in most cases "The Force".
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

My bad. I must've misremembered it. That would actually fold in nicely with my Willpower rule, since the degree of Difficulty is set by whatever the highest Force skill Difficulty is for the power in question, so a +5 modifier to one extends to the other.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

MrNexx wrote:

So it doesn't go beyond RAW and you answered your own question? One DSP comes with an optional bonus, and if you choose that bonus that comes with a downside. Or do you mean the Jedi should get something for the case where they resist the bonus and suffer the penalty?

I forgot about that rule too. Willpower is definitely not out of place here too. It looks like I may be revamping my DSP rules.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Or do you mean the Jedi should get something for the case where they resist the bonus and suffer the penalty?

This. I'd say starting the game with a DSP counts as a Minor Disadvantage, so a counterbalancing Minor Advantage of some form wouldn't be amiss. Of course, if we're getting into details on Advantages and Disadvantages, the Failed Jedi should also have at least some degree of Addiction (Alcoholic) Disadvantage.

Quote:
Willpower is definitely not out of place here too. It looks like I may be revamping my DSP rules.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we look at the disgraced dark apprentice from classic heroes, this template starts with 0 force points, 2 DSPS and naturally 1D in all three force skills.

However the charater does not seem to have anything "positive" to counter the disadvantage of 0 FPs and 2DSPs
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
If we look at the disgraced dark apprentice from classic heroes, this template starts with 0 force points, 2 DSPS and naturally 1D in all three force skills.

However the charater does not seem to have anything "positive" to counter the disadvantage of 0 FPs and 2DSPs

And neither does the Failed Jedi Template. The point being argued here is whether or not they should, and to what degree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: