The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG to d6 Star Wars conversions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> FFG to d6 Star Wars conversions Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PapaJoeMambo
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 26 Apr 2014
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: FFG to d6 Star Wars conversions Reply with quote

Has anyone come up with a quick and dirty guide to character conversion or probability/difficulty numbers to take what's in the published FFG Star Wars materials and make them playable as d6 STAR WARS adventures?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the stuff that was done for WotC Saga SW that converted it to d6, moreso than some kind of line for line appropriation.


Last edited by PapaJoeMambo on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4959
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: FFG to d6 Star Wars conversions Reply with quote

PapaJoeMambo wrote:
Has anyone come up with a quick and dirty guide to character conversion or probability/difficulty numbers to take what's in the published FFG Star Wars materials and make them playable as d6 STAR WARS adventures?

I'm not thinking of something along the lines of the stuff that was done for WotC Saga SW that converted it to d6, moreso than some kind of line for line appropriation.

Welcome to the Pit!

Conversion assumes that the FFG stuff is well statted in the first place. WEG was horribly inconsistent with its stats and WotC stats are wonky sometimes, so I have no reason to assume the FFG stats are any better. I suggest not worrying about conversion. Just consider the source and available fluff text, and then stat stuff out n D6 yourself from scratch. If you would like input from others here, it never hurts to ask.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4364

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tried to do some conversions, but I never really took much of a look at the difficulty numbers. I'd been more concerned about weapons and gear before I gave up in a desperate attempt to save my sanity.

But, there are a few people who have done adventure conversions, but from D6 to FFG and from FFG to D6. I can take a look at my materials to see what I have.

BTW, have do you have the Edge of the Empire beginner game on hand?
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PapaJoeMambo
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 26 Apr 2014
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
But, there are a few people who have done adventure conversions, but from D6 to FFG and from FFG to D6. I can take a look at my materials to see what I have.

BTW, have do you have the Edge of the Empire beginner game on hand?


I do have the beginner game.

I agree that the fluff text and the art are really wonderful, but I find there's a lot of flash over substance going on. Frankly, if it's just a matter of situationally "eyeballing" the task Difficulties, I'm all for that. I am, also, I'll admit it, both pragmatic and lazy enough to want to see if anyone else had done it first - hahah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PapaJoeMambo
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 26 Apr 2014
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: FFG to d6 Star Wars conversions Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
PapaJoeMambo wrote:
Has anyone come up with a quick and dirty guide to character conversion or probability/difficulty numbers to take what's in the published FFG Star Wars materials and make them playable as d6 STAR WARS adventures?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the stuff that was done for WotC Saga SW that converted it to d6, moreso than some kind of line for line appropriation.

Welcome to the Pit!

Conversion assumes that the FFG stuff is well statted in the first place. WEG was horribly inconsistent with its stats and WotC stats are wonky sometimes, so I have no reason to assume the FFG stats are any better. I suggest not worrying about conversion. Just consider the source and available fluff text, and then stat stuff out n D6 yourself from scratch. If you would like input from others here, it never hurts to ask.


Thank you very much for your warm welcome!

I've been haunting the forums here for years but I'd never had a gaming group that wanted to play STAR WARS til recently. I bought the Rulebook and Sourcebook as soon as they'd come out in 1987, and stayed abreast of the various incarnations over the decades but only now do I have a group hot for STAR WARS play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4364

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaJoeMambo wrote:


I do have the beginner game.

I agree that the fluff text and the art are really wonderful, but I find there's a lot of flash over substance going on. Frankly, if it's just a matter of situationally "eyeballing" the task Difficulties, I'm all for that. I am, also, I'll admit it, both pragmatic and lazy enough to want to see if anyone else had done it first - hahah


The reason why I ask is that there is a D6 conversion of it floating around out there. I've got it on my hard drive somewhere, and when I get back to my PC I can see what I can do about putting it up somewhere accessible. You could do a comparison of the difficulties in the adventure and use that as a starting point.
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4959
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: FFG to d6 Star Wars conversions Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If you would like input from others here, it never hurts to ask.
PapaJoeMambo wrote:
cheshire wrote:
But, there are a few people who have done adventure conversions, but from D6 to FFG and from FFG to D6. I can take a look at my materials to see what I have.

Frankly, if it's just a matter of situationally "eyeballing" the task Difficulties, I'm all for that. I am, also, I'll admit it, both pragmatic and lazy enough to want to see if anyone else had done it first - hahah

I'm looking forward to what Chesire comes up with. I like to consult all available resources too, but I just don't depend on them, so in the end all stats in my game are finalized by me. I suggest all GMs do the same thing for their games.

PapaJoeMambo wrote:
I agree that the fluff text and the art are really wonderful, but I find there's a lot of flash over substance going on.

The artwork is generally fantastic. FFG definitely wins best overall art out of the three SW RPGs. There does seem to be a lot of great fluff too but I haven't read most of it yet. But the game system is really no less crunchy than the d20ish game, and FFG is overall even worse than WotC in game system. I agree there is a lack of quality substance to the game.

PapaJoeMambo wrote:
Whill wrote:
Welcome to the Pit!

Thank you very much for your warm welcome!

I've been haunting the forums here for years but I'd never had a gaming group that wanted to play STAR WARS til recently. I bought the Rulebook and Sourcebook as soon as they'd come out in 1987, and stayed abreast of the various incarnations over the decades but only now do I have a group hot for STAR WARS play.

Wow Joe, that's so awesome that you've held on to playing this game for some long until you finally have the chance. It seems that perhaps Rogue One has sparked the interest in playing Star Wars D6? I'd love to hear you chime in on the film itself if you are so inclined.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6285&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=240
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 03 Jun 2005
Posts: 230

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaJoeMambo wrote:

I agree that the fluff text and the art are really wonderful, but I find there's a lot of flash over substance going on.


[/SARC]What you mean the version of the game that requires you to buy 3 separate 400+ page (about 40 of which are just to explain how to use the proprietary dice you need to play)core books in order to cover basics of the entire SW setting? Nahh...[/end SARC]
_________________
"Hey sith happens..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purzelkater
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 14 Jan 2017
Posts: 20
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some FFG SW books and I'm agree, the artwork is awesome (to be fair, the artwork of D6 REUP is awesome too). At the end of last year my group was thinking about to start with FFG SW - it's new, it's nice and as a big point, it's available at German - but after we have looked at the system, it was a no-go for us. Tech-Trees, board game dungeon crawler like dice system and esoteric style dice roll effects? This rules had no chance in my group. ^^
Now I have bought some 20 years old books from antiquarian bookstores (some of the good old SW D6 2nd Ed. books have been translated into German too) to play Star Wars pen&paper. But maybe I will use some FFG stuff for my adventures (not the stats, but story, fluff and artwork).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4959
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
[/SARC]What you mean the version of the game that requires you to buy 3 separate 400+ page (about 40 of which are just to explain how to use the proprietary dice you need to play)core books in order to cover basics of the entire SW setting? Nahh...[/end SARC]
Purzelkater wrote:
At the end of last year my group was thinking about to start with FFG SW - it's new, it's nice and as a big point, it's available at German - but after we have looked at the system, it was a no-go for us. Tech-Trees, board game dungeon crawler like dice system and esoteric style dice roll effects? This rules had no chance in my group. ^^

...But maybe I will use some FFG stuff for my adventures (not the stats, but story, fluff and artwork).

And that is the real value with the FFG materials. I ran the AoR Beginner Game adventure for my family and I also played in a full-fledged AoR adventure sitting right beside the GM. I just don't like the game system. I own all 4 beginner games (so have 4 sets of dice), the EotE and AoR core books, and several of the other EotE and AoR books. But I doubt I will ever play the game again.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: FFG to d6 Star Wars conversions Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
PapaJoeMambo wrote:
Has anyone come up with a quick and dirty guide to character conversion or probability/difficulty numbers to take what's in the published FFG Star Wars materials and make them playable as d6 STAR WARS adventures?

I'm not thinking of something along the lines of the stuff that was done for WotC Saga SW that converted it to d6, moreso than some kind of line for line appropriation.

Welcome to the Pit!

Conversion assumes that the FFG stuff is well statted in the first place. WEG was horribly inconsistent with its stats and WotC stats are wonky sometimes, so I have no reason to assume the FFG stats are any better. I suggest not worrying about conversion. Just consider the source and available fluff text, and then stat stuff out n D6 yourself from scratch. If you would like input from others here, it never hurts to ask.


That sounds like excellent advice, Whill. Thanks for posting that. Good thoughts.

BTW, I really don't like what I've seen of the FFG system. I don't like the special dice. I don't like the meta-game mechanics. I almost bought the WotC version of Star Wars, but I didn't. I figured that, if I played Star Wars, then I'd play D6. But, when FFG came out, and I saw the system, there was no competition at all. I don't like that system one iota.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if FFG Star Wars has felt the loss in sales by going with the system it uses. I wonder, if it had used a more traditional system, would it be a more successful game--or is it already quite successful, and those of us who shy away from the game because of the game system are few.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1321
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I wonder if FFG Star Wars has felt the loss in sales by going with the system it uses. I wonder, if it had used a more traditional system, would it be a more successful game--or is it already quite successful, and those of us who shy away from the game because of the game system are few.


Yeah, I hate the system that FFG uses (I can't make heads or tails of it) and I really hate the special dice you need for it. I just read the FFG books for the fluff/flavor text/story ideas. The mechanics I totally ignore.
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4959
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I wonder if FFG Star Wars has felt the loss in sales by going with the system it uses. I wonder, if it had used a more traditional system, would it be a more successful game--or is it already quite successful, and those of us who shy away from the game because of the game system are few.

Yeah, I hate the system that FFG uses (I can't make heads or tails of it) and I really hate the special dice you need for it. I just read the FFG books for the fluff/flavor text/story ideas. The mechanics I totally ignore.

I own all four FFG beginner games. I own several Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion books. I played an adventure of Age of Rebellion at a con, and ran the AoR beginner game adventure for my family. The FFG game system has classes and feats like d20 but just calls them something else. The wacky dice resolution system is stupid. The system is somehow significantly more crunchy than WotC's system. I really despise it. The FFG gameline does have overall superior artwork - I'll give it that.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1321
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I wonder if FFG Star Wars has felt the loss in sales by going with the system it uses. I wonder, if it had used a more traditional system, would it be a more successful game--or is it already quite successful, and those of us who shy away from the game because of the game system are few.

Yeah, I hate the system that FFG uses (I can't make heads or tails of it) and I really hate the special dice you need for it. I just read the FFG books for the fluff/flavor text/story ideas. The mechanics I totally ignore.

I own all four FFG beginner games. I own several Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion books. I played an adventure of Age of Rebellion at a con, and ran the AoR beginner game adventure for my family. The FFG game system has classes and feats like d20 but just calls them something else. The wacky dice resolution system is stupid. The system is somehow significantly more crunchy than WotC's system. I really despise it. The FFG gameline does have overall superior artwork - I'll give it that.


ROFLMAO, that's awesome. A crappy game with even crappier gameplay and mechanics, but hey, at least it looks cool! (And, to be fair, it does have good story ideas and fluff in it.)

That's like something B.A of Knights of the Dinner Table would be gullible enough to buy with his mother's credit card.

EDIT: Is it true that the OP joined the Pit in 2014, but has made his only 3 posts in this thread since last April, just two months ago? PapaJoe, you need to get a move-on! Wajeb joined around the same time you started this post and he's got way posts than you!
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0