The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ditching Missiles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ditching Missiles Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Ditching Missiles Reply with quote

Does anyone else do it? I'm talking about concussion missiles here. I've always tried to get rid of them in my games if at all possible because I just don't like them. I don't think they fit Star Wars very well, and you don't really see them in the movies. I prefer straight-up dogfights to people worrying about missile lock and countermeasures.

I usually keep proton torpedoes and the like, because it fits the whole "World War II era dogfighting" motif I think Star Wars space-combat portrays better. You can try to make torp runs on capital ships, but if you go up against other fighters you'd better get into a real dogfight.

So, anyone else do this or am I nuts?

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tatum
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Ive never really used them for dogfights, only for bombing larger ships. Space combat is deadly enough without the freakin nukes.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concussion Missiles might fit the same roles that Rockets did in World War II. If you look at it from that perspective...
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Concussion Missiles might fit the same roles that Rockets did in World War II. If you look at it from that perspective...

Yeah, the biggest problem is that they do in fact "lock on" and add ECM to the game... both factors that aren't very rocket-like. If they were just big projectiles with a penalty to hit because the velocity of the rounds are so slow, but had missile damage, that'd be fine.

I just don't find the work of converting them to such really worth it, so I ditch them altogether whenever possible.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ditching Missiles Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:
I don't think they fit Star Wars very well, and you don't really see them in the movies.

That wasn't a pair of proton torps the Falcon fired at the DSII's reactor in RoTJ.

Wanted Poster
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I heard that A-wings can be swtiched out to carry a few missiles instead of the sensor jammer. Could those have been missiles they used to strafe the bridge deflector of Executor? Seems more realistic that it was missiles rather than a few 5D laser blasts taking out that dome.
Saxondog
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what is seen in the movies only.

There is no indication that the weapons have any homing capability.
Proof: They are fired at point blank range only.
Reason: The ECM has progressed far above what is capable of being put in the missile. A ship could have the ability to totally screw up the electronics of any tracking device small enough to go into the projectile.

There is no proof that any small ship carries more then one pair of missiles. We never see a ship make 2 passes with missiles. Even on the deathstar run, no one even suggests a ship make a second pass. (no real chance with Vader on their tail but...)

The weapon loadout is one of my biggest complaints about the books and games. They try to create facts that are not supported in the movies.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditching Missiles Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
RedFox wrote:
I don't think they fit Star Wars very well, and you don't really see them in the movies.

That wasn't a pair of proton torps the Falcon fired at the DSII's reactor in RoTJ.

Again, they were used like bombs or rockets, not as anti-fighter weapons. Whether or not they were "concussion missiles" is beside the point... "concussion missiles" aren't used in dogfights in the movies. Nothing is, save maneuvering and blaster fire.

EDIT: With the notable exception of Attack of the Clones, which had sonic mines being dropped to get a fighter off Jango's tail.

I have Star Wars stuff!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... MINES!!!
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I think it's a Concussion Missile, but what was that missile that chased Obi Wans fighter in AOTC...the one fired from Jango's ship?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...a concussion missile.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd let capital ships carry them, but not fighters. The traking components are too bulky to be on the fighter, or too expensive to worth as a fighter to fighter missile.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe on Freighters, as well. Freighters have space to spare compared to military vessels.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Unfourtunatly the only Freighter-scale ships used as fighters I ever saw were the Millenium Falcon and Slave 1/2.
Warhippo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the interesting things is that in one of the manuals (I think it's the Strongholds one) they say that personal missiles (ie for use against ground / air vehicles) are rarely employed as most military vehicles have such good countermeasures but in the vehicle stats, they're never mentioned.

I don't like missiles much simply because they're so rarely seen in the movies that they just don't seem to follow the Star Wars theme. When my players demanded that they get hold of some I allowed them to be used for a couple of sessions then introduced a crack squad of Stormtroopers who were armed with improved countermeasures. At first missiles failed to lock, then failed to explode, then they started being countermanded and went after the players. Ha ha!

Well, I am the ref so what I say goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: