The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Zulgyan's Newbie SW 1E Questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Zulgyan's Newbie SW 1E Questions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that too. Hell i have had some players ask the question "So if i started out force sensitive, is there anyway i can go become Non-force sensitive"...??
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random question:

I just picked up a copy of GG6 for 1E. I'm wondering what, aside from the missing charts and speed codes, the differences are between the 1E printing and the 2E printing.

Is it just the missing charts that are linked here on the site? Or is it something else, like specs for a given ship?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Random question:

I just picked up a copy of GG6 for 1E. I'm wondering what, aside from the missing charts and speed codes, the differences are between the 1E printing and the 2E printing.

Is it just the missing charts that are linked here on the site? Or is it something else, like specs for a given ship?

I'd have to look at it more closely, but I know the rules for fuel have been dropped in the 2E version. The thinking being that keeping track of fuel was very un-Star Wars.

Which is strange, because everything else about 2E and 2E R&E is about expanding the rules with more detail.

I like the fuel rules. They're not that hard to use, like any 1E rule, and a GM can always ignore them if he wants. I'd rather have that option than not.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've seen that too. Hell i have had some players ask the question "So if i started out force sensitive, is there anyway i can go become Non-force sensitive"...??

In 2E, I was always harder on the Force Sensitives than I was the Non-Force Sensitives when it came to Dark Side Points.

In 1E, where there is no label of "Force Sensitivity", I am harder on those who have actual Force powers than I am on those without.

Still like the 1E version of not having the label, though.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I'd have to look at it more closely, but I know the rules for fuel have been dropped in the 2E version. The thinking being that keeping track of fuel was very un-Star Wars.

Which is strange, because everything else about 2E and 2E R&E is about expanding the rules with more detail.

I like the fuel rules. They're not that hard to use, like any 1E rule, and a GM can always ignore them if he wants. I'd rather have that option than not.
I'd be interested in seeing the fuel rules. Are the 1E fuel rules in the basic rules or in one of the other sourcebooks?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing the fuel rules. Are the 1E fuel rules in the basic rules or in one of the other sourcebooks?

I'm pretty sure they are only in the 1E edition of GG6.

I find it interesting, because it's the only source, in all of the SW books I've seen over the years, that discusses what type of fuel the SW vessels use.

I found THIS THREAD ON THE SUBJECT. Look at CRMcNeill's post from Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 pm where he says..

Quote:
Basically, you use up one fuel cell every time you:
-Enter hyperspace
-Spend six hours traveling in hyperspace
-Spend one month in real space
-Spend one hour in combat or in atmospheric flight

Most stock freighters carry 50 fuel cells, but additional fuel cells can be purchased and installed at a cost of 500 credits and .1 tons each

Cells can be refueled at a spaceport with refueling services at variable rates:

Trickle = 1 cell/day @ 5 credits/cell
Standard = 1 cell/hour @ 10 credits/cell
Fast = 4 cells/hour @ 50 credits/cell
Emergency = 20 cells/hour @ 500 credits/cell (In this case, they are actually replacing depleted cells with previously charged cells)

The fuel cell rules also change how the Solid Fuel Convertor works. It now requires five metric tons of light material (oxygen, water, plastics, wood/cellulose, waste, etc.) to recharge one cell, or one metric ton of heavy material (uranium, plutonium, etc.), and the convertor functions at a rate of 1/2 ton per hour.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Not only did I forget the answer. I forgot I'd previously asked the question.

....some days getting old sucks.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I don't remember there being a fuel rule. BUT it's been almost 2 decades since i even saw someone play 1e..
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all! That's interesting about the fuel issue. I haven't had a chance to really dig into GG6 yet (it just arrived 2 days ago), but I do find it interesting that you have a more detailed rule in a less detailed edition of the game.

At this point, I'm debating how into the weeds on detail I'm gonna want to get. I like the idea of there being different stats for different model numbers of this or that type of equipment (e.g., differentiating between a DL-44 and a Merr-Sonn Power5 and a DT-12, as opposed to just "heavy blaster pistols,"; differentiating between a YT-1200, YT-1250, Ghtroc 550, and whatever else is out there). But I don't want to overwhelm players with detail.

I suppose I could always just give players the information about the weapons, equipment, and ships I want available to them. Or maybe backwards-convert one of the 2E sourcebooks that provides more info on this stuff.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you played the game before, Solo?
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I haven't, no. All of this is new to me.

To be clear, I'd love to play in a game, but have no idea where to even begin to find folks who'd play. And there's also the issue of limited time (I work, have a 15-month-old daughter, a wife in medical residency, and a hyper dog, so time is at a premium, and I really can't do, like, a 4-hr session).

I've been listening to The Force is Not Always With You (an actual play podcast for 2e), but they don't go into a ton of the mechanics.

I'm mostly just learning the mechanics of the game and thinking about how I'd want to run a game and/or play in one.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I haven't, no. All of this is new to me.

To be clear, I'd love to play in a game, but have no idea where to even begin to find folks who'd play. And there's also the issue of limited time (I work, have a 15-month-old daughter, a wife in medical residency, and a hyper dog, so time is at a premium, and I really can't do, like, a 4-hr session).

I've been listening to The Force is Not Always With You (an actual play podcast for 2e), but they don't go into a ton of the mechanics.

I'm mostly just learning the mechanics of the game and thinking about how I'd want to run a game and/or play in one.

I'd suggest recruiting from work, first. It's been my experience that there are a lot of people out there, who are now aging, with families and responsibilities, who either are intrigued and would like to play or played when they were in high school or college and haven't played in decades.

All it takes is one player, and Star Wars does lend itself to one player (and one GM) play.

It's just tricky, sometimes, finding out who those people are as no one talks about it.

What I've done in the past is see who likes talking about Star Wars, the movies. Then, I talk about old times. "Man, back in high school, I use to play roleplaying games--ever heard of it? It was a blast, especially that old Star Wars game."

If they respond positively, then we talk some more about it at lunch and what not, until I am comfortable enough with that person to say, "Hey! I've got an idea! Why don't we get together for a few hours on Saturday and try it!"

I usually have a pretty good idea that they're going to say yes before I ask. I will already know if they live close, and if they have time.

If you do get someone like this, I recommend you play somewhere where there are no non-players around, like your wife (if she doesn't play). People feel silly, if they haven't played or have never played, playing in front of others who are not playing.

If the wife is taking the baby over to see the inlaws for the day, then that's the time to play--at least until your new player(s) get used to the game.

You don't want them to have a horrible first session if they are uncomfortable being an adult playing one of these games--some people are like that. A lot of people are like that. They want to play, but they don't. Take this pressure off of them.

If what I say about work is not possible, then try online. Look for local gaming clubs. Advertise on forums like this. Look for MeetUps that feature games.

You can go to game stores that sell RPGs. Many of them have a player match system or a bulletin board. Many game stores run games right there in the store on certain nights.

Last but not least, you can try to get an online game going. There are several programs that you can use to show players the gaming table and the maps or other props. You can communicate via skype or some gaming channel/software. Or, you can just e-mail moves.

Look in the PbP Play by Post section of this forum.

Quote:

If you've got questions, I'd be happy to help. I do love this game. And, I love talking about it.
8)
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get players what I have done is:

1. Join a local Star Wars fan club
2. Make friends
3. Suggest you can teach them TRPGs with Star Wars
4. Get people interested to sign up!
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of friends who, I think, played the Firefly/Serenity game. (RPG? Board game? I'm not sure.) I think they'd be pretty good people to try with, but they, too, have a toddler, and they have a newborn, so I'm guessing it'll be....a while before they're free.

I think my most likely avenue is gonna end up being something like Skype games for 1-2 hours at a clip.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Firefly and Serenity do have roleplaying game versions.

FIREFLY

SERENITY

I'd try with them. Even parents with newborns need a break. Maybe you can set something up with their Firefly/Serenity group--say for four hours once a month, on a Saturday.

Face to face games are always superior to online games, imo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: