The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

1E Grenade Example
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> 1E Grenade Example
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: 1E Grenade Example Reply with quote

1E GRENADE EXAMPLE

Our hero is Roark Garnet, Smuggler Extraordinaire. He has just escaped from the detention block on a Star Destroyer, and his escape hasn't been discovered yet.

Roark doesn't have a blaster rifle. He needs one. But, he did pick up a stormtrooper belt from an open locker he found, and he now has exactly one grenade.

He's moving along the SD's corridors. As soon as anybody sees him, he knows he's toast. He's got to get to the hangar bay.

Whoa! Around the corner, he sees three stormtroopers approaching. One is at Short Range. The next is behind him at Moderate Range. And, there is one more, bringing up the rear, at Long Range, way down the corridor.

Roark is breathing hard. What to do? He pulls the pin on the only weapon he has and he tosses around the corner at the troopers.

The troopers should all be in the same range band, walking within a meter or two of each other, but I spread them out for this example.

THE THROW!

Grenade skill covers the use of grenades. Roark hasn't improved it. So, he uses his raw DEX score of 3D+1.

Though the odds are against it, he's throwing at the middle trooper--the one at Moderate range. If he's lucky and hits, he can take out all three troopers.

Moderate Range means a 15+ is needed.

Roll 3D+1, for a total of 6, 1, 5 +1 = 13! Oh! So close!

So, the grenade scatters.

SCATTER!

Roll 1D for Direction on the Scatter Diagram. 6. The grenade went long and to the left (which makes sense with the picture in my head).

Roll 3D for Distance. 5, 5, 6 = 16. The grenade explodes 16 meters long, to the left, of where Roark intended.

NO MAPS!

With a grid, you can plot everything out, and show players exactly where their characters stand, where the enemy stands, etc.

When describing the action in the mind's eye of each player, you, as GM, have to use your judgement.

Forget about exact distances. Use range categories instead.

None of the stormtrooper targets are in Point Blank range because of the scatter. The grenade went 16 meters to the left of target, which means the grenade explodes at Long Range.

The grenade is Short Range to ST 3.

The grenade is Medium Range to ST 2.

The grenade is Long Range to ST 1.

IT GO BOOM!

The grenade explodes. Roll 4D for the explosion's "attack". Given the ranges above, here are the difficulties for each target.

ST 1 = 20+

ST 2 = 15+

ST 3 = 10+

Now, roll the grenade's attack (simulating its explosion) ONE TIME. You don't roll for each target. You roll ONE TIME.

Roll 4D. 3, 4, 2, 2 = 11.

This means that ST 1 and ST 2 are in the clear. Roark threw the damn grenade too far back. Maybe it rolled a bit before exploding, along the base of the far wall.

(See the RAW Note below.)

DODGE!

Now, ST 3 can Dodge. He's doing nothing this round but walking. And, the Walk action does not require a penalty die for its action. Therefore, ST3 does not take penalties on his Dodge.

ST 3 has Dodge 4D, reduced to 3D because of his armor.

Roll 3D. 4, 5, 1 = 10 + 10 (target number) = 20.

Stormtrooper 3 saw the grenade come rolling down the wall, said, "(click)What the (garbled)(click)!" And, he slid down on one knee, head against the far wall, back to the explosion.

BOOM! No damage to any of the troopers.

ANOTHER OUTCOME

Just to show what happens with damage, let's say the grenade's attack was 16, and the trooper's Dodge was very low, scoring only 5 points for that 3D roll.

This would mean the grenade does catch the trooper in its blast radius. The trooper still dodges as I described, but it didn't help. Grenade attack is 16. Trooper Dodge is 5 + 10 = 15.

DAMAGE!

Since ST 3 was caught in the explosion, we roll damage against the trooper.

Damage at Short Range is 4D, which is increased +1D because the hallway is an enclosed area.

Roll 5D damage: 2, 3, 2, 5, 3 = 15

The trooper throws STR 3D (2D + 1D armor): 5, 5, 3 = 13

The explosion hits the trooper in the back and blows him up against the wall. The trooper falls flat, smoking shrapnel holes in his armor. He's considered Wounded. He can't act this round, and he's -1D to all actions because of his wound.

RAW SPECIAL NOTE

Everything I've written above is completely RAW, except one thing. The 1E Core Rules say to make a separate roll for the Explosion attack for each target (what is covered in the IT GO BOOM! section above).

Above, I suggest ONE ROLL for everybody in the blast range. For me, it makes sense, because a blast is a blast. But, for some, it may be easier to go exactly by RAW and just roll the attack verses each target. It may be a hassle to remember the attack number on your third character.
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is super helpful! You should include the summary from the other thread.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, in short, throwing a grenade in 1E has these parts--

1. THROW! Throw the grenade. This is just like firing a blaster, except grenade skill is used.

2. BLAST POINT! Where does the grenade Explode? If the character hits in step one, then the grenade blows there. If the character misses in step one, roll Scatter to find the grenade's blast point.

3. BOOM! The grenade explodes. How bad is the explosion? Once you know where the explosion point, you can judge distance from the blast point to each target in the blast radius. Roll 4D. This is the grenade's "attack." It's represents the grenade's blast radius.

4. DODGE! If a target caught in the blast radius wants to Dodge, he can (if he is able). You are rolling to duck out of the blast radius and not be harmed. You roll Dodge, plus the blast radius range difficulty, and check to see if this totals higher than the 4D roll made by the Blast Radius in Step 3.

5. DAMAGE! If targets don't Dodge, or if the Dodges are unsuccessful, then roll damage for the grenade against the target normally.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1E Grenade Example Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

RAW SPECIAL NOTE

Everything I've written above is completely RAW, except one thing. The 1E Core Rules say to make a separate roll for the Explosion attack for each target (what is covered in the IT GO BOOM! section above).

Above, I suggest ONE ROLL for everybody in the blast range. For me, it makes sense, because a blast is a blast. But, for some, it may be easier to go exactly by RAW and just roll the attack verses each target. It may be a hassle to remember the attack number on your third character.

I've always read that as 1 roll per Blast radius.. But that might be the 2e in me speaking..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1E Grenade Example Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've always read that as 1 roll per Blast radius.. But that might be the 2e in me speaking..

I think it works well that way. Maybe the 2E thing is how I got there. I haven't read the 2E rule in a while.

But, as for the 1E rule, it says on page 50, "Make a separate roll for each character within the grenade's blast radius."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That never made sense to me the first few years i HAD the 1e book, before progressing right into running/using 2e's rule..
Why would the same grenade 'damage' people differently if they stood at the same 'spot'?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That never made sense to me the first few years i HAD the 1e book, before progressing right into running/using 2e's rule..
Why would the same grenade 'damage' people differently if they stood at the same 'spot'?
They aren't in exactly the same spot though are they? And I have read that explosive effects can be surprisingly flukey. Imagine that the characters are outdoors. Even if they are in a field, the ground isn't perfectly smooth. There could be small depressions, rocks, or other objects that deflect or absorb enough of the grenade's effect for the damage to be different for different characters.

One other advantage of rolling for each target is it decreases the chance that a single grenade is either a dud (rolling really low for damage and no one gets hurt since we apply the exact same damage to everyone) or super powerful (rolling really high for damage and everyone is vaporized since we apply the exact same damage to everyone).

To be clear, I don't have a problem with a GM rolling once for damage and applying that to everyone in that range. But if the goal is to try to better simulate how real grenades work I don't see applying the exact same damage as a more accurate simulation. But it seems like it would be close enough most of the time and it saves rolling dice for everyone in range. But at that point I start to wonder if it isn't better (and faster) to use average damage.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Yep, in short, throwing a grenade in 1E has these parts--

1. THROW! Throw the grenade. This is just like firing a blaster, except grenade skill is used.

2. BLAST POINT! Where does the grenade Explode? If the character hits in step one, then the grenade blows there. If the character misses in step one, roll Scatter to find the grenade's blast point.

3. BOOM! The grenade explodes. How bad is the explosion? Once you know where the explosion point, you can judge distance from the blast point to each target in the blast radius. Roll 4D. This is the grenade's "attack." It's represents the grenade's blast radius.

4. DODGE! If a target caught in the blast radius wants to Dodge, he can (if he is able). You are rolling to duck out of the blast radius and not be harmed. You roll Dodge, plus the blast radius range difficulty, and check to see if this totals higher than the 4D roll made by the Blast Radius in Step 3.

5. DAMAGE! If targets don't Dodge, or if the Dodges are unsuccessful, then roll damage for the grenade against the target normally.

This is how we do it..

1. As is but you can subtract 1-2D from targets dodge by raising difficulty +5 or +10. This also delays action accordingly.
2. 1/2/3D scatter, by range, if applicable.
3. Skip
4. Only full dodges are allowed, but roll dodge with no range bonus to dodge. For each 5 rolled move 2 meters from explosion (and the character hits the deck).
5. Roll damage according to range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: