The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Grenades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Grenades Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Grenades Reply with quote

I used grenades for the first time yesterday. The Jedi think they're unfair because they can't parry them and one wanted to reflexively use force push or telekinesis to push them away. Personally I like it that Jedi can't defend against EVERYTHING.

Also, what's the dodge # to avoid a grenade? Is it a flat number?
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if a Jedi takes a full defense with his lightsaber and then someone tosses a grenade, he's completely SOL right?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can dodge a grenade to get further away from it, and thus receive less damage, but if you're in the blast radius you get damaged, unless you manage to duck behind some adequate cover.

I believe a jedi should be able to TK a grenade to save himself. It should be a bit difficult to control an object in mid-flight, but still doable. If the grenade was set to explode on impact, and the Jedi kept it hovering in the air, it would not explode until set down. If it was on a timer, then the jedi would have to try and TK it away as fast as possible (but the Jedi doesn't know which mode the grenade is on).
Warhippo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never eat grenades.

They might look like a strange metallic fruit which has just fallen to your feet as if from a great invisible tree but beware! Ingestion could cause some stomach cramps and retching.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, even Fluffy The Rancor knows that grenades aren't good eating.

Good for stepping on and going "Crunch", however. Rolling Eyes
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Grenades Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
The Jedi think they're unfair because they can't parry them and one wanted to reflexively use force push or telekinesis to push them away.

That's what I did with my Jedi. TK as a defensive skill use.

Lord Ben wrote:
Also, what's the dodge # to avoid a grenade? Is it a flat number?

Same as any other ranged attack. An opposed roll between the attacker's grenade skill and the defender's dodge skill.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Bah, even Fluffy The Rancor knows that grenades aren't good eating.

Good for stepping on and going "Crunch", however. Rolling Eyes

LOL! Poor foot doctor, having to bandage Fluffy's feet for steping on gernades so often.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked something similar over on the holonet, about trying to use TK as a 'dodge' against proton torps/concussion missiles in ship combat. Most said if it could be done, the diff would be STARTING around V.diff or even heroic, due to the speed/mass. For a grenade, i would (if i allowed it), start it out at moderate plus the to hit roll of the grenade thrower..
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Grenades Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:

Same as any other ranged attack. An opposed roll between the attacker's grenade skill and the defender's dodge skill.

I think you can dodge a shoot of blaster but I know only 2 ways to really avoid the blast of a grenade : to lie down (ie full dodge) or to run out of effect range. Standing up and making small movements don't protect you against the blast.
Thus in Star Wars if a caracter want to dodge vs a grenade attack, I ask him how he proceeds. If I think the manner is not effective vs the blast I considere that the dodge has failed even if the dodge score is very high.
You can have 20d in dodge, if your dodge is not effective you fail...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi could use Forcepush if in an open enough area, TK if they aren't, and just for safety sake, use Greater Force Shield to protect themselves.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For a grenade, i would (if i allowed it), start it out at moderate plus the to hit roll of the grenade thrower..

Since a grenade is a small target, weighing around or under 1 kilo depending on manufacture, the base difficulty to use TK would be very easy. This would then be modified by the throwers skill roll, and of course the Jedi would have multi action penalties, and possibly a random modifier to represent the time to detonation variable.

"If you can throw a lightsaber, you can throw a grenade."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"If you can throw a lightsaber, you can throw a grenade."

But throwing a lightsaber with tk, is an active use of the power, not a reaction to someone elses attack. What is going on here, is the use of TK a worthy 'reaction' skill?

IMO no, but if i did allow it, i would make it harder than base level tk.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

But throwing a lightsaber with tk, is an active use of the power, not a reaction to someone elses attack. What is going on here, is the use of TK a worthy 'reaction' skill?

IMO no, but if i did allow it, i would make it harder than base level tk.

Yes, and that is what adding the throwers skill does, makes it harder. The base for a lightweight object is 5, then add the throwers skill (which for a normal trooper can be a roll between 3-18 not counting Wild Die), which is significantly harder than 5. Given what is shown in the trilogy, followed by descriptions in the various novels, it is certainly feasible to use the force in this way.
I can see how some GMs might not like using the force in this way, and that is there perrogative. I personally like it when characters, especially Jedi are creative with their skills. Though I have yet to have a PC Jedi do this, or even think of it.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about TK vs. Grenade skill?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
How about TK vs. Grenade skill?

Yes, that is basically what I am proposing. Add the throwers grenade skill to the difficulty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: