The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Prerolling dice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Prerolling dice? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Prerolling dice? Reply with quote

Who here pre-rolls any sort of dice for their SW games.. Whether its charting out a round or two of a large group of baddies for their shots/dodges against the pcs, secret 'spot checks' for the pcs to notice things when you don't want to ruin the moment by having them roll there and then, or for anything else?

If you do, what Do you pre-roll? How much?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prerolling for PCs could be a problem if thd player wantsto spend a CP, but doesnt get a chance because he never got to roll (remember: CPs may be spent after the player sees his total... and by some readings of the rules, after he has been informed of a failure).

If the dice are prerolled, it may alter the wayCPs are spent. For example, if the preroll was a 27 and still failed, that would be different from a player's perspective of whether a CP is likely to yield a success than if the original roll was an 8.

Having said that, I have never prerolled, but I do see the value in it for large groups or events involving lots of NPCs.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done that in some systems, but except for prerolling the NPC vs NPC combat for a couple of big battles (one was a fleet action) I've never bothered with pre-rolling in D6. I can roll and add D6s pretty fast. Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerolling dice? Reply with quote

I never do prerolls for PC rolls because they roll all their own rolls live. I've done that for NPC rolls though to save time in big battles. I would just have pages of columns of each die value. As you use a preroll, you mark it off. Pips can be added as needed to the preroll. CPs aren't an issue because they can be live rolled on top of the preroll value.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Prerolling dice? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I never do prerolls for PC rolls because they roll all their own rolls live. I've done that for NPC rolls though to save time in big battles. I would just have pages of columns of each die value. As you use a preroll, you mark it off. Pips can be added as needed to the preroll. CPs aren't an issue because they can be live rolled on top of the preroll value.

Hence why i was asking... It can make larger combats go easier..
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group set up a spreadsheet to do the rolls, way back when, for the big battles. Saved time and let the capital ships fire all their guns at last. But that was oh, so long ago...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
My group set up a spreadsheet to do the rolls, way back when, for the big battles. Saved time and let the capital ships fire all their guns at last. But that was oh, so long ago...
That's one way to avoid using a lot of combined actions for and Imp Star Deuce's broadside. Smile
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do it as a general rule, but sometimes, when I'm setting up a game session, I may pre-roll some things.

As mentioned above, CPs make pre-rolling more difficult (but not impossible) to achieve fairly. I use First Edition, so I don't have to worry about CPs, though.

So, I may pre-roll a PER check to know, before the game starts, when a character gets to a certain part, whether he notices something.

For example, let's say I've got a nifty spider-creature clinging to the dark ceiling of a cave that I am sure the PCs will explore. I may pre-roll the PER check to see if the spider-creature is noticed as the PCs enter the cave.

Otherwise, calling for PER checks might tip off the players that there is something to notice, whether anyone succeeds or not. Pre-rolling allows the element of surprise to remain intact.

Players generally like to roll their own dice, though, so I strive to keep pre-rolls to a minimum.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Otherwise, calling for PER checks might tip off the players that there is something to notice, whether anyone succeeds or not. Pre-rolling allows the element of surprise to remain intact.

Players generally like to roll their own dice, though, so I strive to keep pre-rolls to a minimum.

That's why its encouraged for you to call on those checks, even for nothing.. just to muddy the waters.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

In such cases, you can have the players roll a few search/perception checks before the start of play, or immediately upon arrival at a new location, etc. And then use those as you need them (you may not need them).
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both of those methods above, and use them in games--the roll for nothing, and the list of pre-rolled dice by players.

I like pre-rolling myself, the few times that I do it, because it lends itself to descriptive narrative--the drama of the game.

I've never liked the pre-rolled lists. It's just cold. I don't think it flows. I find it awkward to use.

As for the phantom rolls, those don't always do the job. They say, "Hey, their might be something afoot!" Players still prick up their ears on these.

Plus, I'm Old School. Though I try not to, there's nothing wrong with the GM rolling dice for a PC.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I misspoke. I do sometimes roll passive awareness Perception checks and the like for PCs when it is appropriate to do so. Those could be prerolls or live rolled. And I occasionally randomly roll dice behind my GM screen for no reason at all.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days, it'd be just as easy to get a dice rolling app for your cellphone, then turn the sound off. Most dice apps will do the math for you, and having it muted means no telltale dice-click.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
These days, it'd be just as easy to get a dice rolling app for your cellphone, then turn the sound off. Most dice apps will do the math for you, and having it muted means no telltale dice-click.

LOL! Believe it or not, I still use a flip phone. It's $10 bucks a month. I pay a year what many people pay a month. I can't bring myself to spend $100 bucks or more on a phone.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

LOL! Believe it or not, I still use a flip phone. It's $10 bucks a month. I pay a year what many people pay a month. I can't bring myself to spend $100 bucks or more on a phone.

If it wasn't for the fact, last year, i got work as a security guard and NEEDED a funky new phone that had internet (so i could go onto a website to clock into my work site, clock out, check schedule, take pics of time sheets etc), i would also have a flip phone..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: