The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

In-Universe questions at the time of RotJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> In-Universe questions at the time of RotJ Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: In-Universe questions at the time of RotJ Reply with quote

Ahoy all! Pardon the somewhat all-over-the-place range of Q's here, but it will help ground a campaign a bit Smile

1. How much time would you say elapsed between the death of Jabba the Hutt and the Battle of Endor?

And I know the case of SW-universe earnings has come up elsewhere, but:

2. How much would you consider to be a good payout for smuggling some rare spice? Let's say you have a big crew of 6-8 or so, what figure would catch your eye? And what is outrageous?

3+: Not that the crew will wind up with these credits per se, but if Han is ready to jump at 17,000, the smuggler template owes 25,000, etc, what is appealing to a larger crew? I don't intend to be so granular with the numbers in-game, and the crew background is that they're starting to make a breakthrough and getting "successful." So let's say a crew is pretty well connected, getting a name for themselves, what would be a "good" job in your opinion(s)?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: In-Universe questions at the time of RotJ Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Ahoy all! Pardon the somewhat all-over-the-place range of Q's here, but it will help ground a campaign a bit Smile

1. How much time would you say elapsed between the death of Jabba the Hutt and the Battle of Endor?

Rough guess? More than a week, less than a month. Han is back up to full health after a couple years in carbon freeze. Luke has had time to go from Tattooine to Dagobagh to (I believe) Sullust. The Millenium Falcon has had time to get repaired (though, I don't recall seeing it at Tattooine, which might mean they took another ship there, which would also make sense from a tactical perspective).

But, I say less than a month because the timing feels off, otherwise. The implication of the briefing with Nadine and Mon Mothma is that they had JUST gotten the information from the Bothans, and they had to move quickly to make it happen. Give them a couple weeks for logistical foofaraw, and you sit with "More than a week, less than a month."

Quote:

2. How much would you consider to be a good payout for smuggling some rare spice? Let's say you have a big crew of 6-8 or so, what figure would catch your eye? And what is outrageous?

Lots of factors, here, but I figure three or four thousand, assuming it's a bit of a milk-run... say, 500 credits per crewman, and another share for the ship. Different crews might split it up differently, but I figure if the ship has 6-8 crew, you're looking at bigger than the Millenium Falcon.... two to three times the size, and able to move a lot of spice (and mundane cargo to cover the spice). The payout has to be big enough to keep most people from doing something stupid... if I'm carrying a ton of spice, I might decide that the galaxy is a big place, and I can buy myself a new ship if I sell it myself, rather than deliver it.

Quote:
3+: Not that the crew will wind up with these credits per se, but if Han is ready to jump at 17,000, the smuggler template owes 25,000, etc, what is appealing to a larger crew? I don't intend to be so granular with the numbers in-game, and the crew background is that they're starting to make a breakthrough and getting "successful." So let's say a crew is pretty well connected, getting a name for themselves, what would be a "good" job in your opinion(s)?

Figure it like a credit card payment. You owe 25,000 on your car/house/business. My inclination is, that's about a full year's work, assuming you can afford to do nothing but put your paycheck into your debt. But, well, you're going to need to eat, and refit your ship, and buy ammo packs, and blow off steam. So, if you're working 360 days a year, you'll want about $70 a day, at least. $500 gives you a nice "this is dangerous and illegal" bonus for a week's worth of work... which is also useful, since there's no guarentee that there'll be work next week.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: In-Universe questions at the time of RotJ Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:

"Two weeks." That's "two weeks" in general contractor time, though.

Quote:
And I know the case of SW-universe earnings has come up elsewhere, but:

Figuring that Luke sells his used speeder for 2,000cr, and he can't get more ever since the XP-38s came out, I'd go for somewhere above 4,000cr and below 10,000cr, depending on the quantity and the risk involved.

Quote:

Nexx has some good ideas. The Tramp Freighters Galaxy Guide also touches on some of this, by addressing things like maintenance, docking fees, bribes for local authorities, etc.

Depending on how successful you want to let them become, they could buy additional ships or refit the current ship to act as a money sink. Or maybe they buy a small base that they now have to maintain. Which, if it's suddenly raided and destroyed by the Empire, might serve as an additional plot hook...

Basically, I think the issue is that you want them to have enough money to play with, but not so much that money stops being an incentive to take on jobs. Money needs to be a motivator to act, so it needs to still be useful for purposes of buying stuff. And it needs to be attractive so that people WANT to buy stuff, instead of just hoarding cash, at which point it becomes trivial and meaningless. But at the same time, you don't want them so dirt poor that they can't really do anything interesting.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last big game was a high credit/low cp game. Big paydays from jobs, stolen ships and at one point stripping a cruise line of its turbo lasers and selling them, many came in big. Ship repairs, gambling debts, thieves, money ran away from my players. My players learned to buy while they had cash. It was a lot of fun.

You're the GM. You control the flow of the game.

My favorite gift of cash was when a madclaw Wookiee got paid 3 million credits to a bank account on Kashyyyk. And madclaws can not go to Kashyyyk. He spent a lot of time scheming a way to get to Kashyyyk and get the cash. Game ended before he got the chance to try it.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: In-Universe questions at the time of RotJ Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:

According to the EU, from start to finish RotJ took place over the course of 6 standard days (and since weeks are 5 days, that is slightly over a week). The Great ReSynchronization dates were 39:3:3-8 (year:month:dates).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: In-Universe questions at the time of RotJ Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:

Depends on how much of that 17,000 will be needed to keep your local loan shark from starting to make some painful collections. Say 10,000 is enough to keep Gordoth 'Cred Sqeezer' Bortoth happy then that leaves 7,000 to pay for ships expenses and crew. On the other hand if the crew knows that Gordoth will take out his displeasure on all their appendages and not just the captain for any less than 15,000 then they might be more willing to take a pay cut as long as the ships has enough to pay for food, water, air and fuel cells.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: In-Universe questions at the time of RotJ Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:

I can't remember, but isn't spice smuggling covered in Tramp Freighters?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's stuff in Pirates and Privateer's, Platt's Smuggler's Guide and Tramp Freighters.

Page 12 in Tramp Freighters is where the section on Speculative Trading starts.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryll spice from Ryloth goes for 100-250 credits per kilo, 1000 kilos per ton.

Andris White goes for 500 per dose, which seems pretty small, maybe 1 gram, 100 grams to kilo, 1000 kilos per ton.

Carsunum Black goes for 1000 per dose, see above for maths.

Glitterstim goes for 6,000 to 10,000 per dose. See above for maths.

All of the Spice stats can be found in Shadows of the Empire Planets guide pages 40 & 41.

So, even a shipment of Ryll spice could easily go for 10,000,000 credits for 100 tons of the stuff in a light freighter. Assuming you could find enough to fill your cargo hold. However, getting caught with 100 tons of Ryll spice would put you away in prison for a very, very long time.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spice is covered in the Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide, on pages 40-41. Since SotE occurs between ESB and ROTJ, the information it provides should be accurate for the time period you're interested in.

Also, IIRC, the gap between ESB and ROTJ was ~6 months...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: In-Universe questions at the time of RotJ Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

According to the EU, from start to finish RotJ took place over the course of 6 standard days (and since weeks are 5 days, that is slightly over a week). The Great ReSynchronization dates were 39:3:3-8 (year:month:dates).

6 days??? Wow that's quick..
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank the Maker.

All of this thread has been of such use that I feel that calling you out individually does an injustice to the vast totality of useful insight gained, haha.

Thank you everyone! Once there's a bit more to report, I'll share some of the progress the motley crew has made.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy, all. Just wanted to say this Adventure was still going well, and that the wealth of information and suggestions above helped considerably.

Some new Q's popped up however. Now they have it in mind to sell water to folks on Tatooine.

Wookieepedia research reveals that the Lars homestead had 63 moisture vaporators and that vaporators typically produced 1.5 liters per day. Moisture vaporators stated to be "up to" 500 credits. Let's say 500 for ease.

1. And so, for a farm the size of the Lars' (1.5 liters per day x 60 Moisture Vaporators = 90 liters per day = 32,850 liters a year, or so), what would you wise-ones estimate as being fair buying and selling price of water on Tatooine, if the PCs crew of 8 managed to pull off such a job?

1A. Let's say the crew acquired 15,000 gallons or so of water, US liters 56,780. Would a selling price of 3 liters per credit, and a farmer's buying price of 6 liters per credit be reasonable to you all? IE: If the crew managed to sell all of that water to a farmer, they'd get 9,500 credits (divided 8 ways), say.

2. With the water industry on Tatooine as it is (meaning only that moisture farming is a thing and people haven't really tried to do sell imported waters retail/wholesale -- my in-universe explanation is that Jabba has prevented such inroads / imports in order to more tightly exert control over the bureaucracy and citizenry), would selling water to everyday citizenry and not farmers be more workable / feasible / wise?

3. Am going with the estimate that a successful yearly Smuggler's salary is on the order of 25K (in early 80s credit-to-dollar equivalents), per the reasonable estimates and arguments made earlier in this thread. Would a working class farmer's salary on a poorer backwater planet seem about right as 10-12K?

Last edited by Telsij on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 pm; edited 7 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One f my comrades in sparks did that, took a large freighter's worth of water (400k galons).. Got iirc a 75k bounty from both Jabba AND other criminal groups...
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Huff_Darklighter A legacy page you should read.

I think they would have a hard time selling it. Especially at Mos Eisley in the OT period. Seems water is almost a controlled substance. You could seriously upset the local economy by bringing in that much water. Imagine what some of those cutthroat folks would do for 15,000 gallons of water.

Now, if it was ice, or snow, how would that raise the price?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: