The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

1e questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> 1e questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: 1e questions Reply with quote

Yesterday Fantasy Flight Games announced that they are re-releasing the First Edition Core Rulebook and Star Wars Sourcebook as a 30th anniversary colectors set. I came into the RPG games in the d20 era but much prefer rules light games.

Are there any major flaws with the first edition? From what I can tell I'd like it more than 2nd Edition R&E.
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also is there a conversion chart for converting second edition stuff to first edition: starship speed for instance.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:
Also is there a conversion chart for converting second edition stuff to first edition: starship speed for instance.

WEG Star Wars RPG Edition Conversions has 1e to 2e conversions from the back of the 2e (blue Vader) book. You could retro-engineer from there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1e questions Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:
Yesterday Fantasy Flight Games announced that they are re-releasing the First Edition Core Rulebook and Star Wars Sourcebook as a 30th anniversary colectors set. I came into the RPG games in the d20 era but much prefer rules light games.

Are there any major flaws with the first edition? From what I can tell I'd like it more than 2nd Edition R&E.

I prefer the First Edition.

There are no flaws in the game (besides some lite errata that every RPG and ever version of D6 Star Wars has).

First Edition is a liter rule set. It's a quicker, more basic game. It's great fun, and it's my go-to edition of the game when I play Star Wars.

Now, the other editions of D6 SW are excellent games as well. I like all versions of the game. Each version has a different feel.

The official versions are:

First Edition

First Edition + Rules Upgrade (4 pages)

First Edition + Rules Companion Supplements

Second Edition

Second Edition Revised & Expanded

From my estimation, most people play Second Edition or Second Edition R&E. Plus, there are some fan generated rule supplements (even one for First Edition that has a few tweaks to the system), like Second Edition REUP.

I bought my first SW D6 book in 1987, and I've purchased the entire game line since. I've played each edition of D6 Star Wars, and I'll tell you, in my old age, I love the simplicity of First Edition.

It depends on your taste and preference, which edition will attract you. The D6 system is beautiful in that it can easily be tweaked to give you any type of game that you want to play. Just look at the rule changes made in the various versions. The game can be crunchy or loosey-goosey. The game can be quite realistic and dangerous, or it can be very dramatic and heroic.

If you like rolling big, huge handfulls of dice, using lots of skills, and rolling tests under a lot of circumstances, then look to the Second Edition versions.

OTOH, if you like quick dicing, roll-n-go, with a compact skill list, rolling few dice, then First Edition is your game--or one of its versions.

If you have specific questions, I'd try to answer them for you.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1e questions Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:

If you would like a crash course on First Edition, then check out THIS THREAD. Skim through it as I touch on a lot of aspects of the game, explaining a lot of things.
Lord Zash
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done a bit of research before posting this, couldn't find a better place to do it...

1ED. Levelling up.

I am having a problem with my understanding of how to level up and my players way of calculating their dices.

They write their sheets this way:

DEX: 2D+2
Dodge: 1D (from the 7 free dices at character creation) (In my understanding that means now that her dodge is 2D+2 + character creation 1D... so 3D+2).

But yesterday she wanted to up her dodge (she had enough experience points to do it).

So she wrote:

Dodge: 1D + 2 (as in I spend 6 experience points to get a +2 in this)

and she's convinced she now has 3D+4 in dodge.

Is that right?

They way I undestand it is:

She started:

Dodge: 3D+2

Now she spends 3 points to up her dodge more.

so for me she now has:

Dodge: 4D

which is different than what she says but I'm really tired, I'm cr*p at maths and starting to get confused Sad
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. DEX 2D+2 plus 1D from character creation is 3D+2. That is the new skill code, every improvement is made from there. Spending 3 skill points would then raise the skill to 4D. No die code will ever have more than two "pips", a +1 or +2.
Lord Zash
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for answering my question! further on...

The problem is that she is argueing that...

If you have a skill
3D + 2 and you improve it: 1D + 1

then you roll 4D+3 ?
Lord Zash
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Griff!

completely understood. Smile

Thanks for answering back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: