The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

STAR WARS POE DAMERON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> STAR WARS POE DAMERON Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: STAR WARS POE DAMERON Reply with quote

Is there a comics thread? If so, please move this to that thread. I didn't see one.

POE DAMERON

This is a damn fine series. I just picked up the second collection. It's set before The Force Awakens, but it does fill in some details about the new Star Wars trilogy. For example, you learn more about Lor San Tekka (who dies by Kylo Ren's saber at the start of TFA). And, you get to know more about each of the pilots in Black Squadron*--the X-Wing squadron in TFA that took out Starkiller base.

I wasn't that crazy about Poe when I first saw TFA. It took me a while to warm up to him. This book helps a lot because the writers emulate Oscar Isaac's performance of the character perfectly. You can actually hear the actor speaking the character's lines as you read the book.

And, we are introduced to a new baddie character that I think is just awesome: Terex. He was a stormtrooper during the Galactic Empire era. After the Empire's fall, he shed his white armor and went on the fringe, becoming a crime lord. When he heard about the rise of the First Order, it was like a wounded soul had been healed. His original passions as a stormtrooper were re-ignited, and his hope that the Empire's defeat could be reversed took him over, head to foot. He joined the First Order Security Bureau, eventually finding Poe Dameron and his Black Squadron in his sights.

Highly recommended.

*Though it's not necessary to read, there is more information about Poe's parents and one of the Black Squadron pilots in the Star Wars: Shattered Empire collection.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very curious about this. I like the character of Poe Dameron alot and I like Oscar Isaac, but I've only seen him in TFA and his small performance as Outcome #3 in The Bourne Legacy (he was the guy Aaron Cross met in the log cabin).

I'm waiting for the graphic novel version of the Poe Dameron comics. Is it out yet?

And all I know about Dameron's backstory comes from reading Tvtropes since I haven't read the comics yet. Apparently, Poe's dad was part of Han Solo's Endor team and his mother was an A-wing pilot who also fought at Endor. I think Poe was a toddler being cared for by his grandfather at the time.

I'm definitely curious to read more about Black Squadron.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I'm waiting for the graphic novel version of the Poe Dameron comics. Is it out yet?

I only read the trade paperbacks, not the single issues. Volumes 1 & 2 are out. Volume 3 is due at the end of October.

Vol. 1, I enjoyed. Vol. 2 is better. It's the one that really hooked me.

Quote:
And all I know about Dameron's backstory comes from reading Tvtropes since I haven't read the comics yet. Apparently, Poe's dad was part of Han Solo's Endor team and his mother was an A-wing pilot who also fought at Endor. I think Poe was a toddler being cared for by his grandfather at the time.

Yep. That's shown in The Shattered Empire, which is also an enjoyable read.

Also shown in that book is a Duros with Green Squadron who took over as commander of that A Wing squadron after its previous commander did a suicide run on the Executor (remember the spinning, out of control A-Wing that dives into the Super Star Destroyer's bridge?). This Duros, L'ulo L'ampar, is now a pilot with Black Squadron, under Poe Dameron.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: STAR WARS POE DAMERON Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Is there a comics thread? If so, please move this to that thread. I didn't see one.

I did try to have a comic thread one time but I think it veered off course into tangents (of course).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really like the new characters that Marvel has introduced to the SW universe. There are three excellent foes.

For Poe Dameron, there's Agent Terex of the First Order Intelligence Bureau.

And, the first Vader series introduced two outstanding characters, both of them doctors.

There's Doctor Cylo, the geneticist who is part cybernetic himself, able to download his consciousness into a new body when the last one gets old or damaged.

And, there's Doctor Aphra, the cute, lovable sociopath droid tech genius. She owns two droids that are the antithesis of R2-D2 and C-3PO.

R2-D2's counterpart is BT-1 (called Bee-Tee) is an assassin droid encased in an astromech's body.

C-3PO's counterpart is 0-0-0 (called Triple Zero) is a similar model protocol droid with its programming altered to include interrogation and torture.

Both of these droids have problems with their programming. They're homicidal. And, more, they enjoy killing (or, at least programmed to appear as if they enjoy it).

These droids are a hoot to watch in action.

Marvel has introduced one other major character to the universe. She's a black woman--a human--and at first, she claimed to be the spouse of Han Solo.

I'm not as impressed with this character. I don't dislike her, though. She's just hasn't (yet) been given the boisterous personalities of the other new characters.

And, I see a similarity between her, Sana Starros, and another black female human former Han Solo girlfriend from Dark Horse's Dark Empire story--the character of Salla Zend. Both characters are also smuggler/fortune hunters, not unlike Han. They are very much alike, in several ways.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there's no Spoiler tags here?

SPOILER! DON'T READ THIS UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE AND DON'T PLAN ON READING VOL 2 OF THE POE DAMERON COMIC.

SPOILER!

SPOILER!

SPOILER!

This cracks me up. So, in the new trilogy era, it seems that C-3PO is actually in charge of an intelligence operation. He's got droids spread out across the galaxy, in hot spots, soaking up and collating intelligence. Nobody notices a droid, and most don't even alter their behaviour around one.

Writing this here, it seems a tad silly, but when reading it, I was digging it.

General Organa gives Poe a mission to take C-3PO out to this outlaw world because one of 3PO's droids has gone dark. This place is so bad that, when they get there, a being is shoved off the roof of an extremely tall building, falls down levels and levels, past the viewports with several hundred people, and not a single soul pays it any heed. The victim goes splat, and everyone else goes about their business (not unlike a lightsaber cutting an arm off in a certain cantina, with the crowd just going back to what they were doing).

Not too far from Poe and 3PO is...representatives from Kanjiklub and The Guavian Death Gang, eyeing each other from across the bar.

3PO is telling Poe how this is a place that Han Solo would find comfortable, and that since Han and Leia have broken up, that Solo is not back to his old tricks, making a living as a smuggler again.

Then we cut to the next frame, and you see the Kanjiklub dude from TFA--the Asian looking one--go, "What he say?..."

Then you see Kanjiklub and the Guavian Death Gang conversing under truce, then shaking hands, then they leave...obviously for their rendezvous with Han and Chewie in TFA.

It cracks me up that, C-3PO, the big head of droid intelligence for the Resistance, inadvertently put Solo's current two enemies together
and gave them a clue as to where to find him.

It's much funnier if you read the scene--I'm not doing it justice.

It's a 3PO foot in mouth moment, and the droid doesn't even realize.

Last edited by Wajeb Deb Kaadeb on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

C-3PO sticking his foot in his mouth? Why I've never heard of such a thing!

C-3PO wrote:
Sir! Sir! I've isolated the reverse power flux coupling!

C-3PO wrote:
That sounds like an R2 unit in there! I wonder if--Hello? How interesting... Oh my! I--I'm terribly sorry! I didn't mean to intrude! No no no, please don't get up. NO!--

C-3PO wrote:
*C-3PO literally leans into the shot*Goodness! Han Solo! It is I, C-3PO! You probably don't recognize me because of the red arm! Look who it is, did you see-- Uh. Hmm. Excuse me, Prin... General. Sorry. Come along, BB-8, quickly. Yes, I must get my proper arm reinstalled.

Mr. Green
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

C-3PO sticking his foot in his mouth? Why I've never heard of such a thing!

C-3PO wrote:
Sir! Sir! I've isolated the reverse power flux coupling!

C-3PO wrote:
That sounds like an R2 unit in there! I wonder if--Hello? How interesting... Oh my! I--I'm terribly sorry! I didn't mean to intrude! No no no, please don't get up. NO!--

C-3PO wrote:
*C-3PO literally leans into the shot*Goodness! Han Solo! It is I, C-3PO! You probably don't recognize me because of the red arm! Look who it is, did you see-- Uh. Hmm. Excuse me, Prin... General. Sorry. Come along, BB-8, quickly. Yes, I must get my proper arm reinstalled.

Mr. Green

Yep. it's exactly one of those moments, perfectly executed in the comic (which isn't that easy to do), and I love how it ties in with TFA.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Come along, BB-8, quickly. Yes, I must get my proper arm reinstalled.

BTW, the story of that red arm is told in the comics as well. It was told in the C-3PO single issue, which is included in The Shattered Empire hardback (not in the softback).
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Come along, BB-8, quickly. Yes, I must get my proper arm reinstalled.

BTW, the story of that red arm is told in the comics as well. It was told in the C-3PO single issue, which is included in The Shattered Empire hardback (not in the softback).

Indeed, I heard (or read, rather) a little bit about that on TvTropes as well. I'm not gonna spoil it here, but I also want to read this story for myself as well.

Speaking of which, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment at the end of TFA as the Millennium Falcon is leaving D'Qar and the Resistance is waving goodbye. Look at C-3PO: he did indeed get his proper golden arm reinstalled! 8)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

SPOILER! DON'T READ THIS UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE AND DON'T PLAN ON READING VOL 2 OF THE POE DAMERON COMIC.

SPOILER!

SPOILER!

SPOILER!

Not exactly, but we do have a makeshift spoiler tag. Highlight above this text to reveal it. Just change the font color to white.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

SPOILER!

SPOILER!

SPOILER!

Not exactly, but we do have a makeshift spoiler tag. Highlight above this text to reveal it. Just change the font color to white.

Cool. I'll edit the above.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of starting a new comics thread, I'll just put this here. This is about the original Marvel SW series....

I just finished a single issue story last night that was top-notch exceptional. Issue #86 The Alderaan Factor

It's set between TESB and ROTJ while Han is still missing. Leia leaves the base to go on a diplomatic mission with an alien race called the Yinchorri. This is a turtle-ish (without the shell) like race, humanoid, that we end up seeing in later Star Wars stories. This is the Yinchorri's first appearance.

When Leia and the aliens get to their home planet, Leia discovers that the Empire has captured the Yinchorri Ruling Council and is threatening to kill the lot of them unless Leia is turned over to them. Two TIE fighters start trail and blast the Yinchorri ship. Leia convinces the aliens that the Empire will not keep their deal and will end up killing the lot of them, then she crawls up into the dorsal turret and starts blasting back at the TIEs.

There's a breath-taking battle that takes place as the Yinchorri ship zooms around mesas and natural stone bridges with the two TIEs hot behind that ship, turbo laser bolts sizzling through the air.

Leia tags one, and then she blows the solar panel off the second. But not before that second one fires beams that tear into the Yinchorri ship. Both TIE and larger vessel go down.

The pilot from the second TIE survives and approaches the Yinchorri crash site. He pulls off wreckage, with the intent of killing the filthy Rebel still in the crash. But, when he sees her, he hesitates. It's Leia, Princess of Alderaan.

The storm trooper is from Alderaan.

He pulls of his helmet and saves her, digging her out of the wreckage.

Leia activates her homing beacon, hoping that Luke, Lando, and Chewie will come get her.

The trooper pulls a pendant from under his armor. It's a piece of rock. A piece of Alderaan. Leia is amazed.

As the two walk, Leia tries to convince the trooper that he's on the wrong side. The writer does an excellent job of showing us a conflicted man--a man with no homeworld who, up until this point, has believed that loyalty to the Empire is the path a noble man should take. But, seeing Leia has rocked that self confidence.

In the end, the trooper activates his helmet transceiver that allows his Imperial comrades to find him. Just as they walk into camp, the Moff who has set up the entire plan orders the Yinchorri Councle members to be executed, which the other troopers do immediately. Blast bolts fly.

Leia's trooper sees this, and again he's not sure if he's on the right side.

Then, boom, in a spectacular scene, the Falcon appears overhead, blasting away at the Imperials. The deck ramp opens. Luke is standing there. "Leia! C'mon! C'mon!"

The Princess rushes to the open ramp, but she looks at the trooper--who could shoot her--telling him that she knows that he's a good man, or he would not of spared her at the crash site. He runs to her, grabbing her hand, and the Falcon lifts off, door still open, ramp still down.

Blaster bolts slap into the side of Han's ship. One of the ground troopers hits the Alderaan trooper. He slips off the ramp. Leia grips his hand as tight as she can...

But, falls. To his death.

And, the Falcon zips away through the clouds, to orbit, then hyperspace, back to the Rebel base.

WHAT A STORY!!!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the Poe Dameron series is a real hit, in my estimation. It's on its third collection, with a fourth on the way, coming out next May.

I'm really enjoying this book. Highly recommended.

And, Dr. Aphra now has her own series! She weaves in and out of other series as well, first with Darth Vader, and now with the main Star Wars series.

I'd love to see Dr. Aphra show up in Episode IX.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an old Y-Wing in the story, and it's referred to as a BTL-S3, which we all know, from our trust Star Wars Sourcebook, is the two-seat version of the Y-Wing.

Is that a nod to WEG and the D6 game? Or was the two seat Y-Wing designated as a BTL-S3 before that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: