The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Jedi Stats Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatum
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Jedi Stats Reply with quote

Question: Why is it that jedi characters start with less attribute dice, yet pretty much any jedi/sith character you see in the books has 18D? I understand the balance issues and that their starting force powers take away from attributes, but why didnt they translate this to all force users?

Of course, you can start as just "force sensitive" and have all 18D and eventually force powers. Ive always thought this was kind of a loop hole, but I suppose the intentions were that during the classic time period a force sensitive character might have to wait a LONG time before finding a master. In the long run though it does kind of seem like the starting jedi is at a disadvantage.

Somehow, I rarely had jedi in my groups when I GM'd, so I didnt have to deal with this often. How have some of you GM's, and players, dealt with this? Have you always just followed the rules on this one?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi don't start with less attribute dice. There is a rule that says any character who starts with an advanced skill gives up one attribute die to represent the time spent learning the advanced skill. Force skills are advanced skills.

As to why don't NPC stats reflect this? I don't know.

Also, I often notice directors who don't follow the limitations on Jedi (double character points to increase a force skill, no new powers can be learned without a teacher, etc) then complain when the Jedi grow too powerful. I avoid this problem by holding the PC Jedi to these limitations.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true, volar. As to the attribute die, their initial force skill allocation is part of their 18D. But as to npcs who have 18d and force skills, they probabily got bumped up as if they were a PC, who spent cp on the attributes...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pick up a new D6 book you can see how the force would have changed. Basicly there would be an attribute like Attunement and the three force skills under it. Attunement would actualy be an attribute and would cost the same as any other during creation and game play. The way the powers would work would change as well. Basicly, when you roll sense, control, or alter you add that value to your attunment to decide what to roll. (ie sense 1D, attunement 1D - roll 2D) That roll decides if a power is effective. Then you would roll attunement to get an effect value. So, a jedi with 1D attunement would get little effect from enhance attribute while a jedi master 5Dish attunement would get a considerlby larger buff. It makes them more equal at creation and slows their astronomical progression to keep them from being too unbalanced.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is D6 Space?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventure, Space, and Fantasy use the new system; but Space would be easiest since the three are really close to sense alter and control with new names. Instead of using Attunement I believe they use the word metaphysics...but for Star Wars attunement would work better.
That's improbable?
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set every campaigne in the Rebellion era and because of this, I have never had any problems with my jedi players ever getting too powerful. I also use the double-cost for advancement and no new force powers (without a teacher).

However... I do not follow the reduced attribute guidelines. I didn't know that the force skills were considered specialized or advanced. But...since attributes are MUCH more costly than skills to improve, I don't think a loss of attributes is very fair for the jedi characters... instead... I take the added 'D' away from the character's starting 7D. I feel that, at least during the Rebellion era, jedi players have enough hardships... being hunted, double-cost for force skill advancement, and no easy way to learn new force powers (Learning a new power often involves a special adventure all of it's own when I GM).
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember there being a double character point cost for force skills, nor them being listed as an advanced skill. I'm not opposed to these rules (In fact, I rather prefer them), but I just don't remember seeing them in any of the rulebooks. Can anyone show me where this is?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pg 140 of R&E - Second light brown box, located at the bottom right of the page and continues on the top left of 141.

Quote:
To improve a Force skill by one pip costs a number of Character Points equal to the the current number before the "D". Double the Character Point cost without a teacher.

That's improbable?
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, right. The way Volar and Vanion said it, it seemed as if it were double points universal. That seemed odd to me, hence why I asked. Thanks for the clarification, Endwyn.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of 2 gms who actually have the BASE cost with teacher be double, and quadrouple without.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I know of 2 gms who actually have the BASE cost with teacher be double, and quadrouple without.

These GM should just be more tightfisted when they give CP or simply don't accept Force user caracters in their campaign. Don't the Jedis become weak in comparaison with other caracters or do they simply not raise force skills ?

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the deal and an example:

A young Jedi is down 3 attribute dice, a factor that balances his character for the rest of the game, or it's supposed to. Unfortunetly, even then as the jedi starts to have 5D+ in all force skills they can simply access so much that they can out manuever the other PC's unless put in a situation where the force is useless.

Now imagine for a second if the Jedi in the group started to teach another PC in game. Well, that PC had no initial attribute loss and is by far ahead of the other PC's now. Even with limited force ability their cost was 30 charater points, or what if spent in game is probably the effect of 2D-3D of skill. (I figure about 5 CP's a raise, but gave an extra skill die for variance and error.) Now latter on you figure their power level vs that. When the force is weak it's so easy to raise...even without a teacher. Going from 1D to 3D in one force skill costs a total of 18 CP's. In the example of the Jedi PC training another PC, it would cost him 27 CP's to raise all three force skills from 1D to 3D. I would speculate that the group has a teacher or one of their PC's is teaching.

Sadly Jedi are balanceable on lower levels, but as soon as they can wield a lightsaber they should have enough force skill that they could easily dominate the game. How many other PC's have say - a 5D skill that gets +6D to hit and every hit does at least 10D damage. People tend to figure out their odd and the Jedi will begin to call 6 attacks rolling 6D each, calling each attack to a different target since it is unlikely anything will survive 10D+ damage. There are of course other ways through the force the Jedi are no longer balanced against other PC's; lightsbaers are just a great example.
That's improbable?
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
Here's the deal and an example:

A young Jedi is down 3 attribute dice, a factor that balances his character for the rest of the game, or it's supposed to. Unfortunetly, even then as the jedi starts to have 5D+ in all force skills they can simply access so much that they can out manuever the other PC's unless put in a situation where the force is useless.

Sadly Jedi are balanceable on lower levels, but as soon as they can wield a lightsaber they should have enough force skill that they could easily dominate the game. How many other PC's have say - a 5D skill that gets +6D to hit and every hit does at least 10D damage. People tend to figure out their odd and the Jedi will begin to call 6 attacks rolling 6D each, calling each attack to a different target since it is unlikely anything will survive 10D+ damage. There are of course other ways through the force the Jedi are no longer balanced against other PC's; lightsbaers are just a great example.

I just wanted to say a couple things about the above...

"5D+ in all force skills"? I'm not sure I understand. If I'm understanding you right, you're saying a young jedi could start the game with 5D force skills? According to the character creation guidelines, you can only put a max of 2D of your starting 7D in any one, single skill. Which means that such a player could only have a max of 3D in each jedi skill... thereby also only leaving 1D for any of his other skills. I must be misunderstanding the "5D+" comment.

Secondly...
I assume you're referring to the "lightsaber combat" force power when you talk about doing 10D damage with a lightsaber. Remember... just for using the lightsaber combat power, every round, that character has preformed 2 actions already... Let's assume a jedi has all three skills at 5D...
*He uses the lightsaber combat skill (2 actions)
*He attacks once (1 action)
Total of 3 actions (-2D to every action)
force skills are now -2D... which means not only that the jedi has lost 2D
to hit, but also to damage... reducing the 10D down to 8D.
Now, that's pretty good damage... but... consider this... if there are multiple opponents, then they'll get to attack (at point blank range) the jedi before the jedi could attack again AND if the jedi has chosen to dodge or parry, then there are one or two more penalties to reduce the jedi's attack and damage by.

Example #2:
*jedi is facing off against 3 opponents (one melee and 2 blaster)
*jedi uses lightsaber combat (2 actions)
**enemies attack
*jedi decides to dodge (1 action)
*jedi attacks once (1 action... and killing one enemy)
**remaining 2 attack
*jedi makes a second attack (1 action... killing a second)

In the above example, the jedi would be looking at a grand total of a -4D penalty to all of his actions in that one round AND getting attacked a minimum of 5 times at point blank range. He would only be doing 6D damage with his lightsaber (5D lightsaber skill + 5D control -4D multiple action penalty)... Only 1D more than a blaster rifle. And if the jedi attempts to block and reflect blaster fire... there's two more actions (the parry and the bolt reflection).

Now... this is based off my understanding of how the lightsaber combat skill works. I know some people don't apply the multiple action penalty to the control bonus to lightsaber damage... these are probably the people who say that the jedi are too powerful. I tend to think that the jedi is just fine the way they made them... possibly at times even a little underpowered considering the obsticles they face in the rebellion era.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't mean a player could start with their force skills all at 5D+, they'd get there in game.

As for the damage / multiple action penalties....I was doing damage math for a different skill level than 5D without thinking about it, you are correct in the method of LC. As for being prone - so long as the character has a good dodge, they could avoid the damage. The jedi aren't invinsible, but they could definatly do better in those situations than other PC's; and that was the point despite my flawed math....
That's improbable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: