The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starship Theft
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Starship Theft Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Starship Theft Reply with quote

Maybe this has been addressed in a WEG book that I haven't read...

(like the pirates & Privateers book, which I have, just haven't read it yet)

...but as far as I know, this is an issue that does not appear in the books. I have had a problem every now and then with players wanting to steal a ship instead of buying one. I always strive to be fair, so I don't want to just say, "Starships are impossible to steal". I usually handle the problem by requiring a difficult security roll to break into the ship. From there, I require a very difficult starship(type of) repair roll to 'hot wire' the starship controls.
I'd like to hear how other GMs have dealt with this issue.

P.S.- I always have a unique key cylinder (like the ones the Imp officers wear on their uniforms) used for each starship.
I also assume (since we never see a landed starship with it's boarding ramp up in the movies) that either a starships boarding ramp can be closed and locked or that there is an interior airlock/blast door at the top of the ramp that can be locked.
I'd also like other GMs opinions on those issues.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good the security system on a given ship is how good a one the owner bought for it.

Sure, it comes with stock locks, seals, lock-outs, ect. But, those are about as reliable as standard key locks in cars today. In other words, they only keep out honest people. Anyone with semi-decent skills can get through 'em.

Then you get the high-end models with the Star Wars Equivilent of Laser-Cut Microchipped Keys (See the new "Gone in 60 Seconds"). A lot tougher to get through.

Some ships (Used in particular) might have *NO* security system (It being ripped out when the guy stole the ship and dumped it at the Used Ship Lot. Twisted Evil ).

I'll get bored some day, and write up a bunch of suggestions, I think.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea When faced with questions not covered in detail in the movies or books, I try to relate it to a real world example to keep it realistic.

Is it possible to steal a ship in the United States? Small boats, yes. Oil tankers or $5 million Yachts, no. If you stole a small yacht you could disguise it as a different vessel and keep it in a different country. To disguise it and keep it in the same country would require a lot of forged papers - not impossible, but it is difficult. You'd be better off taking your stolen boat to a different country. But even this wouldn't work with a 50,000 ton container ship or a warship.

Exchange the word planet for country in the above paragraph and I think I understand what should usually happen in a Star Wars game. But of course PCs are not usual.

And of course, on Earth you can't hire bounty hunters or Sith to recover your lost ship and kill the thieves. In Star Wars, you can.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Light Freighters could be stolen, but not bigger ships like Medium or Heavy Freighters.

Makes sense. Control Towers don't care much about Light Freighters, and are used to them leaving at a moments notice, and they don't want to step on the toes of some Muckity-Muck with stupid questions and regulations.

It also depends on where you are, and where you're going. I'm sure it'd be possible to do those things in some places on Earth (Not likely, but still possible.), and it'd be possible to do in some sectors in space where law is sparce. Disposing of said items would be easier in Star Wars than on Earth, and on Earth it's just a matter of knowing where to go or who to see.

And as for the bit about hiring Bounty Hunters on Earth... It's done. If someone wants you (Or their property back), and has enough money and the right connections, you're not safe anywhere. Just SAFER in some areas.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a light freighter is comparable to a yacht in real life, if seems to like it would be more like a fancy car. It seems like every one and their sister has a light freighter, so control shouldn't be so strict on them. Stealing anything capital, however should be almost impossible. Keeping it without further problems: impossible.

Platt's Starport Guide has some hints at some starships regulations and how to bypass them. If you stole a frighter and wanted to keep it, you would only have to spend some money on the right skilled people to get your transponder changed and your ship's record over at BoSS adultered, after that you should have a reasonably safe time with your new vessel.

As for actually breaking in and taking off w/ the ship. It should be hard, but doable for a dedicated group.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the whole process, getting the BoSS code altered can be the most difficult thing. An excellent description of how BoSS and thier codes work can be found in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide. The right people who are able to perform this feat must be found which will be very difficult and expensive.
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything that has been said so far.
Capital ships or anything larger than a freighter would be nearly impossible for players to steal... not necessarily because of security systems, but because those ships are well-guarded from within and out, and because it would take a crew of people to just to pilot the beast! Not to mention the issue of keeping such a ship, like you guys have said.
But my real concern is whether or not my game mechanic demands are realistic (the security roll to gain enterence, and the starship repair roll to release the controls). I just assume that the boarding ramp can be locked, also. Even though I don't have any basis for that from the movies or from the WEG books.
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, if you're working for the rebellion there are plenty of reasons to steal a capital ship. And you could always get the crew assigned... etc. Basically you'd need to fill out the bridge, and then try to imitate the captain to the imperial crew outside the bridge.

It'd be an adventure, not just "I don't want to spend the money so I steal the ship" though.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a different case. If it's a Rebellion highjack, things are different. What we were discussing here was merely a group of players stealing a ship instead of buying it.
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd say that any ship can possibly be stolen. Let the PC's try at least. Of course once you get into the large ships they're going to always have crew on them, even in the spacedock. Probably stormtroopers as well. Maybe even hidden "loyalty officers" ala Red October who will scuttle the ship if it gets stolen.

But as far as smaller ships, I'd never say it can't be done. However, saying it can't be done with a simple security roll is different.
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to allow anything to be possible for the players... some things are just "near impossible"... often ending up with some dead PCs.

I'm just not sure I'm requiring the right rolls and difficulty numbers to pull off the theft of an average freighter/starfighter.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some information on shipjackers in Galaxy Guide 11:Criminal Organizations. First step, get into the ship. I believe a shipjacking kit would be necessary. We are looking at a security roll of at least difficult to very difficult. Another way to do it would be start at a base difficulty, difficult for example, and have the owner of the ship roll roll a security roll to add to that difficulty.

Most ships require a security code to start but that should be an easier difficulty than getting through the outer hatch.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you are looking for some security systems that might make doing so a bit more difficult for the players, try checking Gallandum's Fantastic tech.

Wanted Poster
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
There is some information on shipjackers in Galaxy Guide 11:Criminal Organizations. First step, get into the ship. I believe a shipjacking kit would be necessary. We are looking at a security roll of at least difficult to very difficult. Another way to do it would be start at a base difficulty, difficult for example, and have the owner of the ship roll roll a security roll to add to that difficulty.

Most ships require a security code to start but that should be an easier difficulty than getting through the outer hatch.

I saw the shipjacking kit on page 85. That sheds a little light for me. Was there something else in GG11 about shipjacking?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered my own Starship Theft. During the now infamous "Headhunter Incident".

I had to get through the swipe-card security after my security swipe card had turned into the Diner's Club Card (from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles).

So, after jumping into the open cockpit, I made a Difficult Security Roll to by-pass the security, and a Moderate Starfighter Repair roll to hotwire the fighter, as the security system was an integral part of the ignition system, which isn't always the case.

So, that's an example of stealing a headhunter with a rather "Simple" security system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: