The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternative Initiative (Based on Shadowrun)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alternative Initiative (Based on Shadowrun) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Alternative Initiative (Based on Shadowrun) Reply with quote

As I am a Freelance author for Shadowrun now (hey folks, I got my start here! WOO!!! Twisted Evil ), my group has playtested the most recent version of the rules.

So, I tried out the most recent version of the Initiative system for Shadowrun using D6, and found it worked quite nicely to narrow down the amount of Initiative rolling, and awarded a bonus to those that rolled really damned well.

Basically, it works like this:

Everyone goes as normal, highest-to-lowest. Then, subtract 10 from the initatives, and do the same thing. Then, subtract another ten, and go on.

So, one PC gets 21, the other PCs get 12, 11, 8, and the NPCs get a whopping 14.

Everyone goes as normal. Then subtract 10. The person who rolled 8 is done, but everyone else gets another go. Then, another 10, and the PC who rolled 21 gets one more go.

New Initiative.

In addition to this, I also ruled that pilots/drivers/beast riders only have to make one Piloting roll for this set. This gives the pilots a chance to do more than just try to Dodge Roll, although if they get a crappy first roll and get a good Initiative, they can try for a better Dodge later on.

My group likes this, but they're used to this system from Playtesting Shadowrun, so maybe it's just them...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if say a pc only rolls 9 or under, he can only do 1 action. Someone who rolls 11-20 (effectively) can do 2 actions, and so on..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Shadowrun Rules sound a lot like the old Shadowrun rules. Wink

So, if you're doing this, what do you roll for initiative? How do you keep that from becoming, in effect, the "uber stat" that determines the value of the rest of it? I know in old Shadowrun, a high initiatve was pretty well king... if you have 2 more actions than everyone else, you're going to have a significant advantage in every encounter.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So if say a pc only rolls 9 or under, he can only do 1 action. Someone who rolls 11-20 (effectively) can do 2 actions, and so on..
You got it. With an open ended Wild Die, it can get quite high if lucky.

MrNexx wrote:
The new Shadowrun Rules sound a lot like the old Shadowrun rules. Wink

So, if you're doing this, what do you roll for initiative? How do you keep that from becoming, in effect, the "uber stat" that determines the value of the rest of it? I know in old Shadowrun, a high initiatve was pretty well king... if you have 2 more actions than everyone else, you're going to have a significant advantage in every encounter.
Reaction + Intuition, two mental attributes in Shadowrun. And any magical/cybernetic bonuses. (And PM me if you want more Shadowrun stuff, let's keep this D6 here.).

In Star Wars, still going with Perception. And potential Cybernetic/Force bonuses.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you envision this interacting with MAPs? Is it "When your turn comes up, you receive MAPs for actions done that pass", or do MAPs apply through an entire round? The first seems to greatly advantage those with high Perceptions... if I roll a 21 and you roll a 9, I'm going to get 3 rounds of regular d6 actions to your 1.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already house ruled that an additional action can be taken every 5 counts down from the initiative roll, if the character so chooses. So, theoretically, someone who rolls 20 on their initiative can take 5 actions in a round. That same character, if his opponent rolled less than 10 could take 3 actions before the first is even able to act: 1 at 20, 15, & 10.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a similar question here, and the Shadowrun method was mentioned...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I already house ruled that an additional action can be taken every 5 counts down from the initiative roll, if the character so chooses. So, theoretically, someone who rolls 20 on their initiative can take 5 actions in a round. That same character, if his opponent rolled less than 10 could take 3 actions before the first is even able to act: 1 at 20, 15, & 10.

Are those actions still penalized -1d for every one after the first?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are those actions still penalized -1d for every one after the first?

Of course, just because your initiative allows you to take that many actions, it doesn't mean your skill dice will too.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in effect, this is more a limit on the number of MAPs you can get per round, rather than allowing additional actions?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could look at it that way, but I like to think of it as giving someone quick enough the ability to take multiple actions before anyone else.

So, your badass gunslinger can potentially draw and gun down multiple attackers before they can even squeeze a shot off. Or, a thief can use their super high initiative to run high speed and make multiple jumps or climbing rolls before his pursuers get a chance to shoot him.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which, IME with Shadowrun (3rd edition and earlier) got REALLY frustrating for those who didn't have big initiatives... fights were over before they got to do anything. The other version (everyone gets pass 1, then those with pass 2 get to go again, etc.) is common to later Shadowrun and Palladium, and is a bit less frustrating, simply because they've at least gotten to do something before the combat monsters take over.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Which, IME with Shadowrun (3rd edition and earlier) got REALLY frustrating for those who didn't have big initiatives... fights were over before they got to do anything. The other version (everyone gets pass 1, then those with pass 2 get to go again, etc.) is common to later Shadowrun and Palladium, and is a bit less frustrating, simply because they've at least gotten to do something before the combat monsters take over.

Hence the old shadowrunner axiom-"Geek the mage first". I miss those days. SR ed 4th+ just decided to change too many things just for the sake of change.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on Fifth Edition now, and a lot of folks have been saying the Inmates are now running the Asylum because of old skool fans being part of the team.

I should know, I'm one of those inmates! Twisted Evil

The Brain wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Hence the old shadowrunner axiom-"Geek the mage first". I miss those days. SR ed 4th+ just decided to change too many things just for the sake of change.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Whereas I prefer the Stat+Skill method of 4e... but, as has been said, this is not the place to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: