The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The M-TIE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The M-TIE Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In the past, I've considered this a good place for a Terminator crossover, building droid bodies designed to interface with existing equipment, like putting a skeletal humanoid droid frame inside a suit of stormtrooper armor.

That sounds like Mark II Dark Troopers. And considering that in Dark Forces, the Mark I Dark Trooper looked very similar to Terminator endoskeletons, I'm sure the resemblance is not accidental.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty easy step to make as far as crossovers go. Dark Empire also featured the Tank Droid, and Terminator has its Hunter-Killer Tanks. Terminator's Hunter-Killer Drones would also potentially be built and deployed to help secure the World Devastator's flanks and rear against commando strikes. And Dark Troopers could likely be the the combat-dedicated variants of Terminator-style endoskeletons, with lighter versions built as pilots and drivers. And Infiltrators...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It's a pretty easy step to make as far as crossovers go. Dark Empire also featured the Tank Droid, and Terminator has its Hunter-Killer Tanks. Terminator's Hunter-Killer Drones would also potentially be built and deployed to help secure the World Devastator's flanks and rear against commando strikes. And Dark Troopers could likely be the the combat-dedicated variants of Terminator-style endoskeletons, with lighter versions built as pilots and drivers.

All this makes sense to me.

CRMcNeill wrote:
And Infiltrators...

The idea of the Empire having access to Teminator-style Infiltrator droids is frickin' terrifying. Remember Guri? Now imagine an entire Imperial army of nigh-undetectable assassin droids that could function just like her and look like anyone (and not just look human but any species).

Last edited by Sutehp on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
The idea of the Empire having access to Terminator-style Infiltrator droids is frickin' terrifying. Remember Guri? Now imagine an entire Imperial army of nigh-undetectable assassin droids that could function just like her and look like anyone (and not just look human but any species).

Guri was an order of magnitude above and beyond a T800, as she was essentially fully human from a biological standpoint, just with a droid brain in place of a normal human brain. A T800 in a living tissue exterior would still be detectable by dogs (or whatever the local equivalent in Star Wars). IMO, there would also be that vague sense of a patient inevitability to a T800's movements that sets them apart from normal humans. It always seemed, when watching the Terminator move in the films, that he was taking his time with every moment to make sure every action was done as precisely as possible. There would always be that indefinable air of otherness that set a T800 apart from those who paid close enough attention.

But anyway, back on topic, I really think it makes more sense to design a droid brain cockpit (ala the TIE/D) that can be switched out into the cockpit position of a TIE/ln, TIE Interceptor or TIE Bomber, rather than sticking to just the TIE/D.

In fact, the TIE/D's stats make it an excellent atmospheric combat TIE, it has increased Maneuverability over stock TIEs, and it is actually faster than an Interceptor in Atmosphere (equal to an A-Wing).

The modular design would, in turn, increase resale value later, with the droid brains swapped for standard-size cockpits (lets the original manufacturer plug the experienced droid brain pilot into a new platform as needed).

Then from there, you get other Imperial vehicles like AT-STs and AT-ATs with integrated droid brains in place of cockpits. It opens up a lot of vehicle opportunities for automated manufacturers like World Devastators to have the entire plethora of Imperial military hardware to work with, and all you have to is swap out the standard crew positions for droid brain sockets.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: