The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Just got my copy of "From A Certain Point of View"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Just got my copy of "From A Certain Point of View" Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Treefrog wrote:
Now a SW novel I would be interested in would be one about the last hours of Owen and Beru. Maybe done in the style of Killing Lincoln/Kennedy/Patton". Just a thought.

I'm with you on the lack of interest in background character short stories, but I also have no interest in full fledged novels starring minor characters, or even a novel on the last hours of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. That sounds extremely boring to me.

Two hundred pages about a couple moisture farming and vaguely worrying about their nephew, followed by five pages of that same couple being beaten then set on fire.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I also have no interest in full fledged novels starring minor characters, or even a novel on the last hours of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. That sounds extremely boring to me.
Yeah, that sounds painful to me.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think about what Wajeb Deb Kaadeb keeps saying about “space opera,” and I judge a Star Wars story by how closely it hews to that genre. Not that it has to be cookie-cutter — I don’t want endless remakes of ANH and ESB — but it should have some of the elements you’d expect. Space travel, space battles, space princesses, space warriors, big things blowing up, people and aliens getting blasted, chases, outsmartings, ancient relics, faceless armies, gigantic creatures, palaces, pits, wastes, moons, cloaking devices, weird science, cloning, carbonite freezing, fantastic lasers, androids and cyborgs, psionics, nebulae, grandeur, suspense, capes.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
I just think about what Wajeb Deb Kaadeb keeps saying about “space opera,” and I judge a Star Wars story by how closely it hews to that genre. Not that it has to be cookie-cutter — I don’t want endless remakes of ANH and ESB — but it should have some of the elements you’d expect. Space travel, space battles, space princesses, space warriors, big things blowing up, people and aliens getting blasted, chases, outsmartings, ancient relics, faceless armies, gigantic creatures, palaces, pits, wastes, moons, cloaking devices, weird science, cloning, carbonite freezing, fantastic lasers, androids and cyborgs, psionics, nebulae, grandeur, suspense, capes.

While I can see that, I prefer a more organic approach... SOME stories can be space opera, but not everything needs to be. You can tell a heist story, or a political thriller, or a romance, all staying within the Star Wars universe.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking forward to this short story collection quite a bit actually, in large part due to my interest in obscure characters and my Obscure Character Archive project, of course!

I was most looking forward to finally getting an in-canon backstory and separate identity for "Fake Wedge", and I agree that "Laina" is an effective tearjerker.

In terms of the stories whose writing style I found to be most interesting and/or enjoyable, however -- whether it be creative turns of phrase, characterization, or what have you -- my favorites so far are:

1. "The Kloo Horn Cantina Caper", for its the slam-bang opening in which the reader is pulled into Kabe's tall tale before it's revealed that she's just trying to fast-talk the scrapper, as well as its characterization of Muftak and Djas Puhr's dry wit.

2. "Grounded". The stat-head in me liked seeing hard numbers for kills and flight hours for various rebel pilots (giving a nice estimate to tie their various RPG stats to), and I hope the Editor in you noticed the inconsistent stats given for Dex Tiree! Nera Kase was also a nicely rendered off-screen character, what w/ her appropriately non-glam appearance and unspoken, doomed crush.

3. The Modal Nodes memoir. Enjoyed the nicely snarky tone of it all. Definitely better than Jabba's.

PS: Pablo Hidalgo's Tarkin/Krennic story is in the mix for favorites as well, as it added some nice depth to each character -- in particular the contrasting strengths and weaknesses of each man, as they related to their handling of the Death Star project. The Fett story was a nice meta-nod to some of the unnecessary changes made in the Special Editions, but was maybe just a shade too tongue-in-cheek for my tastes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: