The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skill synergy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Skill synergy.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Skill synergy. Reply with quote

To me it would make sense to allow some form of skill synergy in many cases.

lets take space tranport politing, it is not much differnt from starfighter piloting, in a small freighter that is starfighter size, or even a captial ship, we have seen from canon and from legends that even a star destroyer can be flown, though not in any way be other than flown by a very minimum crew, in some cases by 1.

so I was thinking some skills should give bonuses to other skills.

dance and dodge I can see be related, I would say someone good at dancing has the nimbleness to be a better than average natural dodger, and thus should get a bonus to dodge, even if they have no cp allocated to dodge.

same goes with blaster, bowcaster, firearms......you point the weapon, aim and pull a trigger........similar enough to give bonues to eachother.

and the list can be expanded to include a whole lot.
persuasion and con, even persuasion and bargain or con ro all.

if nit picking even something as survival could give a bonus to some related scholary skills.

any one have used skill synergy bonuses in swd6?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it done before. Every full die you have in the 'synergy skill', grants +1 to other skills.. Up to a limit of your attribute.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've seen it done before. Every full die you have in the 'synergy skill', grants +1 to other skills.. Up to a limit of your attribute.

That's quite a nice hip pocket solution, actually. Which attribute: the rolled skill or the synergy skill? I was thinking the synergy skill...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he had the list of skills all in the same attribute.
So if you had firearms, it would synergy to blaster, archaic weapons or pulse weapons. If you were doing a ship repair, it would synergy with cap ship repair or transport repair.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So if you had firearms, it would synergy to blaster, archaic weapons or pulse weapons. If you were doing a ship repair, it would synergy with cap ship repair or transport repair.

Sure. But what about Scholar: Mechanical Engineering and Starfighter repair/engineering?

Or Vehicle Blasters and Starship Gunnery?

Or Con amd Intimidate (when you have to fake being scarey)?

Etc....
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Sure. But what about Scholar: Mechanical Engineering and Starfighter repair/engineering?

Etc....

I think we see example of not vehicle blasters but staship gunnery and blaster skill synergy, in TFA, when Finn and Poe escapes, Poe asks how to use the weapons, Poe tells him aim and shoot.

As to enginnering yes I would say that the relevant starship type engineering will give a synergy bonus to reapir.

As to give synergy to skills with different attributes, I am in some cases ok with, like above, blaster giving a starship gunnery synergy in that case.

as to con and intimidation I am not sure, but yes I see the faking stuff there, but as to a synergy bonus I don't know, I think I maybe will put such to both bargain and persuasion, maybe even allow bonuses to investgation, business, and bureaucracy....etc,

I see skills as what area they cover as related more than their mother attribute.

so to me blaster and starship gunnery is related enough to give at least one way a syergy, to give this both ways on those skills I am not sure
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

So would you get multiple synergy bonuses, or just one from whichever skill was highest?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Etc....

Nope. None of those had any synergies.. I'd not even see a scholar of anything, synerging with any repair skill.

CRMcNeill wrote:

So would you get multiple synergy bonuses, or just one from whichever skill was highest?

Highest. BUT like i said, he had it max out at the attribute.

So if you had 6d blaster (S) Pistol 8d+2, 7d firearm but only 4d+2 archaic weapons, and your Dex was only 2d+1, if you shot an archaic weapon, you'd cap out at +2d+1 bonus (7 pips) from the firearm.
Where as if the Dex was say 3d+2, you could gain up to 11 pips worth of synergy. However, he was the ONLY guy i knew of who did it, and it was only used for a test run, that lasted the 8 games we played..

It may have been too much in his eyes, as when i spoke to him after returning to the UK 2 yrs later, he'd stopped using it in his games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: