The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Converting between 1e and 2e/2eRe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Converting between 1e and 2e/2eRe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Converting between 1e and 2e/2eRe Reply with quote

Hi all. Just had a quick question here. I currently have copies of the following books:

- 1e sourcebook
- 2e Imperial sourcebook
- 2e Rebel Alliance sourcebook

I have an eye on a particular auction that has the opposite editions of some of these books (e.g., a 1e Imperial sourcebook, and a 2e general sourcebook).

What I'm wondering is how different the two editions are and whether it's worth havign copies if you want the versatility to switch between editions (e.g., if I wanted to run a 2eRE/REUP version, but only had a 1e version of the Sourcebook, would I be able to do so? Or if I only have the 2e version of the Rebel Alliance sourcebook, can I run a 1e game?).

How much work is involved in converting between editions as far as these books go?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting between 1e and 2e/2eRe Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Hi all. Just had a quick question here. I currently have copies of the following books:

- 1e sourcebook
- 2e Imperial sourcebook
- 2e Rebel Alliance sourcebook

I have an eye on a particular auction that has the opposite editions of some of these books (e.g., a 1e Imperial sourcebook, and a 2e general sourcebook).

What I'm wondering is how different the two editions are and whether it's worth havign copies if you want the versatility to switch between editions (e.g., if I wanted to run a 2eRE/REUP version, but only had a 1e version of the Sourcebook, would I be able to do so? Or if I only have the 2e version of the Rebel Alliance sourcebook, can I run a 1e game?).

How much work is involved in converting between editions as far as these books go?

Playing 1E with 2E materials is pretty easy.

Playing 2E with 1E materials is a lot more work.

2E added a lot of stuff, and changed some stuff. So, if playing 1E, it's easy to just pick out the base 1E stuff from the 2E stats and ignore the rest.

If playing 2E, you'll need all that stuff.

There's a 1E-to-2E conversion guide in the 2E sourcebook (and, I believe, in the 2E Gamemaster Pack).

2E uses Character Points, the Wild Die, Advanced Skills, and has an extended Skill List. 2E uses a more crunchy movement system and implements a Sensors system. 2E uses an Initiative roll in combat. And, 2E trashes the Speed Code system in 1E in favor of a movement rate.

In short, 2E is more detail oriented--less slam, bam! Thank you, ma'am! Action, like 1E.

This isn't to say that 2E isn't fun. Because, it truly is a fantastic game. You just have to decide if you prefer a more rules lite game (that would be 1E), or if you want a more traditional game with heavier rules. 2E uses more rolls for things that are glossed over in 1E.

Pick for your style of play.

I wouldn't mix-n-match. I'd pick one game, either 1E or 2E, and stick with that game. If you want to import some things from the other edition, do that after you've gotten real familiar with your base game. I know this from mistakes I've made in the past, importing rules before I realized what that import would do to the ruleset.

I've played 2E R&E extensively, and I've done the same with 1E. I started with 1E, graduated to 2E R&E, and have reverted back to 1E as my game of choice.

Most others play 2E, but 1E does have a consistent, loyal following.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking having the 2e stuff would be handy if I chose to play a 2e game. I'm looking to pick up the R&E book, since I already have the basic 2e rulebook (with Vader's face on the cover). I don't have any of the 2e stuff for things like galaxy guides, though, unless it was published after the 2e era.

Really, though, what I'd prefer to play is the more rules-lite version of 1e. I just figured it'd be handy to have the 2e stuff if I wanted to go in that direction.

Anyway, thanks for the info!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Really, though, what I'd prefer to play is the more rules-lite version of 1e. I just figured it'd be handy to have the 2e stuff if I wanted to go in that direction.

I own the entire game set, and I upraded to 2E supplements. I wish I hadn't, since I'm not playing 1E. Back then, when I upgraded, I was playing 2E, so it makes sense. I should have kept both versions.

I only kept the 1E core sourcebook, the 1E rulebook, and a few 1E adventures.

Still, it's not that big a thing using 2E for 1E. You've just got to get the Speed Code for vehicles, which is easily done using the conversion chart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: