The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pit Remodel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Pit Remodel Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4894
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Pit Remodel Reply with quote

FYI that the forums will be undergoing a bit of relabeling and reorganization. Nothing will be lost and it will all make more sense when it is done. Thanks in advance for your patience with the process.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help


Last edited by Whill on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11889
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.. Though why the redesign?
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1232
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down with it; the previous categories were a bit of a mess, with lots of questions as to where something should be put.
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
“We're going to win this war, not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.”
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1232
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said, if we're open to suggestions:

Move the "General Star Wars Discussion" up to the top, with Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info. That would be for discussing Star Wars media... movies, books, TV shows, radio dramas, etc.

I'd also be inclined to move the First Edition forum higher, probably beneath Character and Species... Artwork and Gaming Groups are relatively low-traffic, and while half of First Edition is Waterbob talking to himself ( Wink ), it's still fairly active.

And I would drop the word "Droid" into either "Characters and Species" or "Ships, Vehicles, and Equipment"'s descriptions... otherwise, they'll get put half in one, half in the other, and you don't have a good metric for deciding which.
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
“We're going to win this war, not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.”
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11471
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Move the "General Star Wars Discussion" up to the top, with Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info. That would be for discussing Star Wars media... movies, books, TV shows, radio dramas, etc.

I disagree. The Pit has always been primarily a forum for discussing Star Wars D6. Discussion of other versions of the game, or of Star Wars in general should remain secondary to that. In that light, putting it towards the bottom is right where it belongs.

Quote:
And I would drop the word "Droid" into either "Characters and Species" or "Ships, Vehicles, and Equipment"'s descriptions... otherwise, they'll get put half in one, half in the other, and you don't have a good metric for deciding which.

That's a tough call, since droids straddle the line between the two. In the vast majority of cases, however, a droid will be a piece of equipment, serving a specific function. Droids who are characters will be the exception, not the rule. Ultimately, which goes where will be dependent on what you are doing with the droid. For instance, a discussion of a new kind of probe droid will belong in the Ships, Vehicles & Equipment section, whereas posting the stats for a character who happens to be a droid is appropriate for the Characters & Species section.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1232
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Move the "General Star Wars Discussion" up to the top, with Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info. That would be for discussing Star Wars media... movies, books, TV shows, radio dramas, etc.

I disagree. The Pit has always been primarily a forum for discussing Star Wars D6. Discussion of other versions of the game, or of Star Wars in general should remain secondary to that. In that light, putting it towards the bottom is right where it belongs.


However, it is a high-traffic sort of discussion, and moving it higher creates greater convenience for the most users. Placing it adjacent to RPU/FI is an organizational consideration; it doesn't fit with the game discussions.

Quote:

Quote:
And I would drop the word "Droid" into either "Characters and Species" or "Ships, Vehicles, and Equipment"'s descriptions... otherwise, they'll get put half in one, half in the other, and you don't have a good metric for deciding which.

That's a tough call, since droids straddle the line between the two. In the vast majority of cases, however, a droid will be a piece of equipment, serving a specific function. Droids who are characters will be the exception, not the rule. Ultimately, which goes where will be dependent on what you are doing with the droid. For instance, a discussion of a new kind of probe droid will belong in the Ships, Vehicles & Equipment section, whereas posting the stats for a character who happens to be a droid is appropriate for the Characters & Species section.

Whereas I would put it in the Character & Species section, because even Droids viewed as equipment are characters, and defined similarly.
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
“We're going to win this war, not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.”
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11471
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
However, it is a high-traffic sort of discussion, and moving it higher creates greater convenience for the most users. Placing it adjacent to RPU/FI is an organizational consideration; it doesn't fit with the game discussions.

Which would be the first step on the path towards turning this page into a general Star Wars discussion site, and there are hundreds of those. What makes the Pit unique is its focus on one specific subset of Star Wars. If it were up to me, I'd limit General Star Wars discussion only to subjects that directly relate to the gaming experience, but can not be cleanly fit into any other category. It may be high traffic, but as far as I'm concerned, it is off-topic high traffic.



Quote:
Whereas I would put it in the Character & Species section, because even Droids viewed as equipment are characters, and defined similarly.

That's a fair point.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
...and while half of First Edition is Waterbob talking to himself ( Wink ), it's still fairly active.


Hey, I find out a lot of things I didn't know in those in depth conversations with myself! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11889
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
...and while half of First Edition is Waterbob talking to himself ( Wink ), it's still fairly active.


Hey, I find out a lot of things I didn't know in those in depth conversations with myself! Shocked


Well, we now now for sure wisbob is mental.. Cause he not only talks to himself, but he answers himself Laughing Laughing
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1296
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
...and while half of First Edition is Waterbob talking to himself ( Wink ), it's still fairly active.


Hey, I find out a lot of things I didn't know in those in depth conversations with myself! Shocked


Well, we now now for sure wisbob is mental.. Cause he not only talks to himself, but he answers himself Laughing Laughing


Yeah, that reminds me of something I heard someone saying to me once: Talking to yourself isn't weird. Interrupting yourself...now that's weird.
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4894
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pit Remodel Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Looking good..
MrNexx wrote:
I'm down with it; the previous categories were a bit of a mess, with lots of questions as to where something should be put.

We appreciate the feedback.

MrNexx wrote:
I'd also be inclined to move the First Edition forum higher, probably beneath Character and Species... Artwork and Gaming Groups are relatively low-traffic, and while half of First Edition is Waterbob talking to himself ( Wink ), it's still fairly active.

In the current order, the top 6 are primarily GM focused, while the next 4 are GM and player focused. I think these have a more natural sequence with one flowing into the next. I can definitely see your point but in practice on this board Artwork and Gaming Groups are still primarily focused on 2e over 1e because of the minority of players who play the 1e game. However these two categories can include uses for 1e more than the others above so they are shared by 2e and 1e. The official rules kicks off a focus on 2e, so ending with the 1e category seems apropos. The flow works for me, with 1e at the base from which everything above it came.

MrNexx wrote:
However, it is a high-traffic sort of discussion, and moving it higher creates greater convenience for the most users.

Convenience is not the only traffic consideration. Maybe putting the 1e category below a couple lower traffic ones will get users to see those others.

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Move the "General Star Wars Discussion" up to the top, with Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info. That would be for discussing Star Wars media... movies, books, TV shows, radio dramas, etc.

I disagree. The Pit has always been primarily a forum for discussing Star Wars D6. Discussion of other versions of the game, or of Star Wars in general should remain secondary to that. In that light, putting it towards the bottom is right where it belongs.

Placing it adjacent to RPU/FI is an organizational consideration; it doesn't fit with the game discussions.

Which would be the first step on the path towards turning this page into a general Star Wars discussion site, and there are hundreds of those. What makes the Pit unique is its focus on one specific subset of Star Wars. If it were up to me, I'd limit General Star Wars discussion only to subjects that directly relate to the gaming experience, but can not be cleanly fit into any other category. It may be high traffic, but as far as I'm concerned, it is off-topic high traffic.

FYI, there are a couple other forum sections under Overview that are only visible to admins and moderators. I totally agree that this site is unique in that it has always been devoted specifically to the WEG SW RPG, it's primary purpose. I do really value some of the other conversations, especially our discussion of the films, which are the primary and central works of Star Wars franchise. All other media, including RPGs, are spin-offs and supportive of the films. The films are really the only thing more important than the WEG RPG, but I don't feel the films warrant their own forum category so should remain in a General Star Wars, which is for the non-game aspects of the franchise and the franchise as a whole, and thus should remain below the RPG section.

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
And I would drop the word "Droid" into either "Characters and Species" or "Ships, Vehicles, and Equipment"'s descriptions... otherwise, they'll get put half in one, half in the other, and you don't have a good metric for deciding which.

That's a tough call, since droids straddle the line between the two. In the vast majority of cases, however, a droid will be a piece of equipment, serving a specific function. Droids who are characters will be the exception, not the rule. Ultimately, which goes where will be dependent on what you are doing with the droid. For instance, a discussion of a new kind of probe droid will belong in the Ships, Vehicles & Equipment section, whereas posting the stats for a character who happens to be a droid is appropriate for the Characters & Species section.

Whereas I would put it in the Character & Species section, because even Droids viewed as equipment are characters, and defined similarly.

That's a fair point.

There always has been some overlap between the forum sections. I would say that discussion of a droid model would go in the technology section, but discussing a specific droid as a character (PC or NPC) should go in the Characters section.

This reordering doesn't really impact my personal usage of the site because I normally use the "View posts since last visit" feature so I see all activity in the order it happened, regardless of how far down the forum section is on the page. For those of you that don't use that feature, I'm sorry about the inconvenience of having to scroll down lower to check on non-RPG threads.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11471
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pit Remodel Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
There always has been some overlap between the forum sections. I would say that discussion of a droid model would go in the technology section, but discussing a specific droid as a character (PC or NPC) should go in the Characters section.

However, even when discussing a droid as a piece of equipment, a central part of that droid's stats will include Attributes & Skills, just as would a character, alien species or creature.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4894
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit Remodel Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That's a tough call, since droids straddle the line between the two. In the vast majority of cases, however, a droid will be a piece of equipment, serving a specific function. Droids who are characters will be the exception, not the rule. Ultimately, which goes where will be dependent on what you are doing with the droid. For instance, a discussion of a new kind of probe droid will belong in the Ships, Vehicles & Equipment section, whereas posting the stats for a character who happens to be a droid is appropriate for the Characters & Species section.

Whill wrote:
There always has been some overlap between the forum sections. I would say that discussion of a droid model would go in the technology section, but discussing a specific droid as a character (PC or NPC) should go in the Characters section.

However, even when discussing a droid as a piece of equipment, a central part of that droid's stats will include Attributes & Skills, just as would a character, alien species or creature.

For that reason, I wouldn't have any problem with anyone posting droid stats in the Characters forum. Droid are appropriate both places, and I don't see any reason to try to shepherd all droid posts in one or the other. If someone is searching for droids, the Search function will pull up threads in both sections so they really don't have to all be in one or the other.

A lot of official rules discussions inevitably become house rule discussions as we go into solving issues with RAW. It's usually organic. Gamemasters and Tools topics tend to overlap others areas. These various forum options are to make it easy for a user to find somewhere to put something they want to post. If it is appropriate for multiple areas, then it's no big deal which option they choose. If we really feel something is misplaced, then we can move it.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a "General" forum. It will increase traffic a lot. People who are interested in D6 Star Wars sometimes want to BS about a different game, or a movie they saw, or a non-SW book they read. Just a place to hang out and shoot the bantha-poo-doo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11471
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
We need a "General" forum. It will increase traffic a lot. People who are interested in D6 Star Wars sometimes want to BS about a different game, or a movie they saw, or a non-SW book they read. Just a place to hang out and shoot the bantha-poo-doo.

Then let them go elsewhere to do so. I'm not interested in wading through a hundred messages about Star Wars action figures for sale just to find a few articles on D6.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0