The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combat Sense
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Combat Sense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Combat Sense Reply with quote

Got questions about Combat Sense that mabey you all can help with.

According to the rules as I read them, you have to add +3 to the difficulty according to the number of opponents you want to use the power against. This means you have to decide how many people you are going to fight before you turn it on. This brings to mind a few questions...

Based on this example: Jedi is about to fight 3 dudes...

What if Jedi kills 2, but one more opponent enters the fray? Would Jedi have to reroll combat sense for that opponent, even though there are less than 3 now?

Now what if Jedi kills two and then 5 more opponents show up? This means that there are MORE than the original 3. Does he get to reroll in this case?

Basically, is it based on the NUMBER of opponents or the OPPONENTS themselves? And would new roll number apply for just the new opponents or would it replace the old roll (assuming that the opponents also have Combat Sense on, which means the one with higher combat sense goes first)?

If the Jedi does have to reroll, is it considered another action, eventhough keeping Comabt Sense "up" is not considered an action? And if he does have to reroll, does the 10 rounds that the power is in effect start over again?

And another question, if you are fighting 5 dudes, and you only have Combat Sense on against 3, it means all of the benefits of Combat Sense only apply to those 3. I mean, the Jedi would get to go first against those 3 and have the +2D to attacks agains those 3, and then initiative would determine when his turn was against the other 2 and the +2D would not apply against them... right?

I'm a long time GM and this has always puzzled me.

Any help?

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, this isn't a very well described rule. Sitting here thinking about it, here is how I (as a GM) would probably try to handle this:

First, keep track of how much the initial roll beat the difficulty number; for every 3 points that s/he beat the difficulty, the number of opponents can go up before the 10 rounds are up.

Example: Cassar (the Jedi) is facing four stormtroopers. The GM is nice and sets Moderate at 11. The Sense difficulty for Cassar's combat sense is 20 (11+3+3+3). Cassar rolls a 27. With this roll he can still take on two more opponents (for a total of six opponents). So, if Cassar takes out two of the stormtroopers in three rounds, then four more stormies come in, Cassar's Combat Sense is unaffected.

But now let's say that it's round seven of Cassar's Combat Sense being up, and the total number of (living) opponents is now up to seven. Cassar's initial roll of 27 can't handle this. What do you do?

I'd say the GM gives Cassar the option of adding character points to the roll. Cassar can spend 1 CP, and as long as he doesn't roll a 1, he'll have added enough to his initial roll to take on the seven stormies (he might even be able to take on eight, or more if he rolls a 6 and gets to keep rolling).

If he rolls a 1 or he doesn't want to (or can't) spend the CP, then Combat Sense is dropped early and he no longer gets its effects.

So basically, any time during the 10 rounds, the Jedi can spend CP to raise his/her initial Combat Sense roll if needed, otherwise it is dropped and needs to be reactivated for a new 10 rounds.

Make Sense? Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probabily rule the same, but one of the biggest problems i have with this force power, is it does not count as a 'kept up' power for MAPS.... IMO it should.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I would probabily rule the same, but one of the biggest problems i have with this force power, is it does not count as a 'kept up' power for MAPS.... IMO it should.

Yes, but any power that is counted as "kept up" should not have a duration in rounds (or minutes, or hours) as the Jedi is using concentration and control to use the power, and as long as the Jedi is conscious gains whatever effects of such a power are.

Now, I would allow a Jedi to make a new roll to use the Combat Sense on the new oponents, and in so doin, the 10 rounds starts fresh (as the Jedi renewed the power). The option to spend a CP, and base new oponents on the initial roll is a good Idea too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: