The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rancor Pit ownership
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Rancor Pit ownership Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I, for one, thank you for doing such, Whill. Wish I could throw money at you, but being on Disability sucks rocks for that.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Well, I, for one, thank you for doing such, Whill. Wish I could throw money at you, but being on Disability sucks rocks for that.

I really appreciate the sentiment, but money is not an issue. What I really need is someone who can help upgrade the forum's phpBB software. That's why it looks like 2005 around here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly, that comforts me. But I'm an old b@st@rd* that fears change now.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I really appreciate the sentiment, but money is not an issue. What I really need is someone who can help upgrade the forum's phpBB software. That's why it looks like 2005 around here.

Woof. Yeah, that's not an easy feat. I wish I had the php skills to help out. Unfortunately picking up that skillset is a missed opportunity.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Surprisingly, that comforts me. But I'm an old b@st@rd that fears change now.

Right there with you.

Newfangled forums, pffft!!! Can we get a 'get off my lawn' emoji?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one, also like the older format.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rancor Pit's web hosting service was paid for three more years.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Rancor Pit's web hosting service was paid for three more years.

"Was" is a little bit ominous there, Whill.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
"Was" is a little bit ominous there, Whill.

Ah. I was referring to the past tense of the action of paying, not the status of it being paid. Sorry for the confusion. The status is renewed for three more years.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...We are reaching out to confirm that your domain has been successfully renewed.

You will find some brief details about your domain below.

=============================
Domain: rancorpit.com
Renewal Length: 1 Year/s
Next Due Date: 10/27/2023...

My web-hosting service renews triennially and we have another year on that. Unfortunately the domain registration can only be annual, so I just renewed the domain for another year.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome whill!

Let us know when time comes for webhosting, so folks can donate.

Also, I see the latest version is 3.8 - but supposedly upgrading from 2.0 to 3.1 is somewhat automated.
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.1/ug/upgradeguide/upgrade2/

Personally - I am fine with where it is at, but there might be some benefits I am unaware of.

Anyone have the bandwidth to work on that?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Thank you Will

That's OUR Jedi.
(to other forums, GET YOU OWN JEDI)
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Awesome whill!

Let us know when time comes for webhosting, so folks can donate.

Also, I see the latest version is 3.8 - but supposedly upgrading from 2.0 to 3.1 is somewhat automated.
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.1/ug/upgradeguide/upgrade2/

Personally - I am fine with where it is at, but there might be some benefits I am unaware of.

Anyone have the bandwidth to work on that?

It's not only time to work on it. It is the knowledge of doing it right. I've self-taught myself some things, often involving lengthy and painstaking trial and error. And I've tried to play Jenga with this website and crashed registration a couple times.

The first time was when I was brand new here, and I had to recall the prior admin to fix it so I could delete and re-register a bunch of registrants who never got their emails. I think his ship may have reached Valinor by now, so it may be too late to call on him for help anymore (and updating the site is something that he could have done when he was here but never did for some reason).

The second time I Jenga'd, I broke the registration form, so registration had to be requested by email, which made registration even more manual for me than it already is (by intention to hold the bots at bay). The form was down for several months and it took someone more familiar in HTML to come along and point out the very quick and easy fix in the code to get it functional again (and allowed me to add questions, what I was trying to do when I somehow broke it). It is still a complete mystery to me why the form even got broken in the first place because I saved the code as it was before I changed anything.

I'd really love to completely modernize the site with the latest php. I'm sure there are benefits, like being able to merge threads. I've learned a lot about webmastering since I took over, but I'm still terrified that (1) updating the php may not work and I won't be able to determine why, (2) it may take the site down for an indeterminate amount of time, and (3) I may kill it because it may even never go back to its previous form.

I am not confident I can update it, but yeah I guess you can say that I do not have the bandwidth to take courses to do learn how to do it right with my full time job (a new high quality demanding position), family, and other activities. Unfortunately my chancellorship here is only a part-time volunteer position for a charity. I'm really quite amazed that the Rancor Pit still works as it has since the last time it was updated (2005 as far as I can tell). But here we are, so I'm afraid of ruining it by trying to improve it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm really quite amazed that the Rancor Pit still works as it has since the last time it was updated (2005 as far as I can tell). But here we are, so I'm afraid of ruining it by trying to improve it.

I, personally, have always been of the mindset that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Some websites I used to frequent and love have update and changed so often, sometimes just for the sake of newer and flashier, and I find it distasteful. I believe change and update should be done out of necessity, either to add increased security, functionality, or stability. I saw a comment about how it still looks like 2005 around here, but I see nothing wrong with that.
That being said. I do see where there would be a desire to update to newer PHPBB for functionality sake. The ability to merge, split, and move threads readily could be useful.
When it comes to HTML, once upon a time I was decent with it (wrote a few web pages in the early millennium...even taught myself some Javascript to do rotating banners, counters, and some other neet tricks), but that was a lifetime ago. I haven't done any HTML or Javascript since around 2006ish... and have forgotten much of what I once new. I never had the time to learn php, cgi, pearl, sql, or any of the other popular web tools. Even now, despite being out of work as the result of illness, I have so very little time even for the things I wish to do, so learning new things is beyond my reason.
I can offer a piece of advice. Before making changes to the website, make a functioning clone of it on some form of private server (could be a locally accessed only web host on your home pc partition). Make your tinkering and changes there - that way if something breaks, it is not the actual website and you can wipe it away and try again. I'm sure I am just stating the obvious, and you have done far more coding than me.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I do see where there would be a desire to update to newer PHPBB for functionality sake. The ability to merge, split, and move threads readily could be useful.

I can already move and split threads. I can't merge threads.

Quote:
Some websites I used to frequent and love have update and changed so often, sometimes just for the sake of newer and flashier, and I find it distasteful.

I have no desire to continually update the website just to be flashier. But it was already way behind the times when I took over years ago.

Quote:
I believe change and update should be done out of necessity, either to add increased security, functionality, or stability.

I implemented a significant security update a while back. I just asked my host about it, and thankfully that one was pretty easy and they helped.

I believe all three things you mentioned would be (further) improved by updating the forum software. And functionality increase should be both admin functionality and end user functionality.

I asked the host about updating the php and they were like, sorry bro we can't help you there.

Quote:
I can offer a piece of advice. Before making changes to the website, make a functioning clone of it on some form of private server (could be a locally accessed only web host on your home pc partition). Make your tinkering and changes there - that way if something breaks, it is not the actual website and you can wipe it away and try again. I'm sure I am just stating the obvious, and you have done far more coding than me.

I don't have access to a private server. But yeah, if I knew how to somehow make a functional clone, that would be a piece of the puzzle.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: