The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

COVID/Pandemic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> COVID/Pandemic Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: COVID/Pandemic Reply with quote

we are holing up at home for two to eight weeks. Anyone else?

ADMIN EDIT

CDC: COVID-19
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home office model of work requested by my company from this day. All business trips suspended.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary thing, but I think being careful, not to be in crowds and to wash hands all the time ocd like all the time is a good measure.

on that note, I was under the impression that I have been drinking corona for years......
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My work is closed to the public until the 22nd. But they still expect us to be in.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Coronavirus Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Scary thing, but I think being careful, not to be in crowds and to wash hands all the time ocd like all the time is a good measure.

It is. I'm kinda OCD about washing my hands anyway. For example, when I go out to restaurants, I absolutely must immediately go wash my hands after touching a menu. It blows my mind that in public restrooms I see men walk out of toilet stalls and go straight out the door without washing their hands. Gross.

TauntaunScout wrote:
we are holing up at home for two to eight weeks. Anyone else?

The governor of Ohio is restricting large gatherings, and lot of things are cancelled or postponed. We are trying to prevent the crisis from spiking up beyond the capacity of our healthcare system. Spring Break is being extended to three weeks for all schools K-12. My son will be home for the next three weeks and the school system is implementing some home internet schooling for part of the break. My wife works in administration of another school and they are implementing a home office model for an indefinite time starting next week. I already work at home, so it won't just be the dog and me at home during the school day for while.

The American Red Cross blood supply is already getting dangerously low so they are desperate for healthy blood right now. I donated blood yesterday after work and they take every precaution, with hand sanitizer at every step of the process. They took my temperature twice while I was there, once before I could even step inside and once again right before I gave blood (with a different thermometer and by a different employee). There is an American Red Cross phone app where you can easily find locations, schedule appointments, and answer all the questions ahead of time (It saves your donor registration and gives them a barcode to scan). Very user friendly. If you have healthy blood and meet the travel history requirements and such, please consider donating blood now before things get worse. Blood has a shelf-life of 42 days.

The "Coronapocalypse" hysteria is annoying though. People are stocking up on things, like buying three months of toilet paper. The greedy hoarders are taking it away from other people. Last night after giving blood I went to a store and the toilet paper was almost sold out, but there were a couple little packages of 6 rolls that were up out of reach of most people but I got one and bought it. Normally we could just go to the store and expect there to be plenty whenever we were running low, but now I wasn't sure so I got a little more just so we wouldn't run out in the next couple weeks. After work today I went to three stores and the pet store for some essentials (and dog treats), and thankfully the pet store had hand sanitizer! The other stores were half wiped out of stuff. Tomorrow my family is going to take stock of what all food we have and then venture out to try to buy food to put together some meals we can prepare for the next three weeks, to avoid going out to eat. I expect that we will have to go to multiple stores just to get most things.

I hope all Rancor Pitters and your family stay healthy (and don't run out of anything important).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be out and about; I work Refrigerated division, hauling food and beverages up and down the west coast, and people still need to eat. I leave on Sunday to head down to San Diego, then to Yuma, AZ to pick up produce.

On the one hand, I spend most of my life on the road in an air-tight box surrounded by other air-tight boxes barreling down the freeway at ~60 mph. On the other, the human interaction that I do get is highly mobile (from all over the country) and not exactly the best at hygiene.

Lots of handwashing and gloves in my future.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a lighter note...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is freaky, seeing folks stocking up with TP.. If anything, fresh food is better to stock up on.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It is freaky, seeing folks stocking up with TP.. If anything, fresh food is better to stock up on.

From what I understand, potatoes and things that keep are disappearing, too, but not fresh greens.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worries me about this is that people panic and go overboard now, in the "scared" phase, and forget that the true number will only come later in the year.

July to August this "hyped" (rightfully so though) outbreak will be all forgotten and people have stopped being careful.

we saw this with SARS and MARS both, where the world was upside down in panic mode in the beginning, then after a few months it died down, the main death toll counted during the "hype", forgetting the more or less equal number that followed.

I saw a recent article that estimated that by august, due to the "hype" slowing down, we will really see numbers, not the 100s of thousands so far, but upto 20 million infected and sick, with unknown estimated deaths.

it should be added that 20 million infected is also a close numner to how many contracts the flue world wide each year, I would argue that the flu will be in the 100 million range, but have no real number to base that on

This was however not a scary article, but more one to try explain how epidemics develope, it dived deep into the spanish flu, comapred things to "common cold" and the classing flu, both killing millions world wide every year.

So I think the real challange is when this dies down in may sometime, then see what happens over summer.

I will keep being careful at least
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

From what I understand, potatoes and things that keep are disappearing, too, but not fresh greens.

Greens tend to be more perishable than other vegetables, and it does make sense to prioritise stuff that has a longer shelf life if you're gonna be in a self-imposed quarantine.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, i just got back from shopping for milk and deoderant. TWO of the stores i was in, practically all the premade food products in the frozen section was gone, most of the rice/hamburger helper stuff were gone, a good chunk of the canned veg were gone...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yea, i just got back from shopping for milk and deoderant. TWO of the stores i was in, practically all the premade food products in the frozen section was gone, most of the rice/hamburger helper stuff were gone, a good chunk of the canned veg were gone...

Thanks for the update.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Aelwe
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation here in Spain is bad, we're the second country in Europe -behind Italy- in number of infected people and the ratio at which new cases are being reported is already higher than Italy (and even higher than it was at Wuhan).
The government has screwed bit time -no surprise here- and while they have mandated some movement restrictions, most business will remain open. Today, millions of people will go to work in Madrid where the biggest infection focus is. It will be bad.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the military, we had this saying... more like a notion, really, that "one is none." Essentially, it means that if you don't have extra, you aren't ready for what may come. Since then, I've had a habit of saving for a rainy day. Not just money, but useful things.

For now, it's looking like my family will be okay for a while. We'll see how good our zet up turns out to be in the coming weeks.

I'm just hoping gas stays available so I can get to work.

Speaking of work, its a ghost town where I work: the whole company is telecommuting except for the few of us use job requires a physical presence on site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: