The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Well...

Many of you know that when GG6 Tramp Freighters was re-created as a Second Edition supplement, the Fuel rules were left out of the game.

At the time, I got it. I had read that the powers that be at WEG decided that bookeeping of fuel cells was not in the spirit of a Star Wars game.

Now....

The Last Jedi comes along.

And, Fuel is central to the plot. They've got enough for just one more jump...

Those 1E rules are relevant again.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the more rules that are available, the better. But, in general, whatever doesn't suit the play style should be axed for either an adventure, a module, or the whole campaign, if necessary.

Personally, if I were GM, I would do my best not to spring the "you're low on fuel" thing on the players. I would deliberately deny them opportunities to fuel up or else make the story require a long, fuel consuming mission, and then throw the plot twist in that requires them to make a jump (and be stranded on the other end) or... I don't know... die or something. In any case, they would know that they were low on fuel upon exiting the last jump, and then when they need to jump again, they get it right or else...

Does that make sense? Instead of tracking the fuel, you can just write the adventure such that fuel is an issue (kinda like how the movie did it).
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Does that make sense? Instead of tracking the fuel, you can just write the adventure such that fuel is an issue (kinda like how the movie did it).

It does makes sense, but I'm not sure all types of players would buy it. I don't think my players would buy that sort of thing. They'd feel like it was GM fiat, or GM intervention, or plain old railroading.

It reminds me of an adventure that depends on the PCs crashing, like Domain of Evil, where there is no option but to have the PCs crash. There is no adventure unless the PCs crash.

My players don't dig that at all. It makes them feel like they are not masters of their own destiny--as it doesn't matter what actions their characters take.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One alternative would be the Endurance Dice Conversion I suggested. Under that system, the Rebel cruisers would've failed an Endurance roll at the end of the previous gaming session, giving the GM time to build the critical fuel status into the next round.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Naaman wrote:

It does makes sense, but I'm not sure all types of players would buy it. I don't think my players would buy that sort of thing. They'd feel like it was GM fiat, or GM intervention, or plain old railroading.

It reminds me of an adventure that depends on the PCs crashing, like Domain of Evil, where there is no option but to have the PCs crash. There is no adventure unless the PCs crash.

My players don't dig that at all. It makes them feel like they are not masters of their own destiny--as it doesn't matter what actions their characters take.

Exactly. One of my modules have them crashing as part of the intro script, and so far around half a dozen of the players who played it at cons, felt a little railroady.. But then again, they seem to love other railroads where like "they start out captured".. Strange.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Many of you know that when GG6 Tramp Freighters was re-created as a Second Edition supplement, the Fuel rules were left out of the game.

At the time, I got it. I had read that the powers that be at WEG decided that bookeeping of fuel cells was not in the spirit of a Star Wars game.

Now....

When I first got the 2e version, I didn't even bother looking through it for differences. I really need to get a 1e copy of GG6 again!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Now....

When I first got the 2e version, I didn't even bother looking through it for differences. I really need to get a 1e copy of GG6 again!

Just FYI, I did scan through both versions of all the stuff. At one time, I owned both versions of everything. And, at that time, I was playing R&E, so I sold the 1E things that had identical content.

You'll be glad to know that there's not that much that wasn't carried over to 2E. Just stuff here and there.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Just FYI, I did scan through both versions of all the stuff...

You'll be glad to know that there's not that much that wasn't carried over to 2E. Just stuff here and there.

I know, but I must have the here and there!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completist Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: GG6 Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Just FYI, I did scan through both versions of all the stuff...

Whill wrote:
I know, but I must have the here and there!
Bren wrote:
Completist Laughing

I did pick up a copy of GG6 1e. Not much difference, but it's still cool and I'm glad I have it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Completist Laughing

I think this is the highest compliment you can pay Whill.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Bren wrote:
Completist Laughing

I think this is the highest compliment you can pay Whill.

With all the non-game SW resource books I have, I probably do have a general Star Wars library that rivals anyone else's here, but I know people who have both editions of every WEG SW RPG book. They would say I am not a completist. I consider my WEG SW RPG complete with all 2e products and all the 1e products not reproduced in 2e form. The only books that I have both editions of are The Star Wars Sourcebook (my original 1e copy returned to me after 22 years apart), and now GG6.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: