The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition / IAG -> Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 841

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Well...

Many of you know that when GG6 Tramp Freighters was re-created as a Second Edition supplement, the Fuel rules were left out of the game.

At the time, I got it. I had read that the powers that be at WEG decided that bookeeping of fuel cells was not in the spirit of a Star Wars game.

Now....

The Last Jedi comes along.

And, Fuel is central to the plot. They've got enough for just one more jump...

Those 1E rules are relevant again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naaman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 1955

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the more rules that are available, the better. But, in general, whatever doesn't suit the play style should be axed for either an adventure, a module, or the whole campaign, if necessary.

Personally, if I were GM, I would do my best not to spring the "you're low on fuel" thing on the players. I would deliberately deny them opportunities to fuel up or else make the story require a long, fuel consuming mission, and then throw the plot twist in that requires them to make a jump (and be stranded on the other end) or... I don't know... die or something. In any case, they would know that they were low on fuel upon exiting the last jump, and then when they need to jump again, they get it right or else...

Does that make sense? Instead of tracking the fuel, you can just write the adventure such that fuel is an issue (kinda like how the movie did it).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 841

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Does that make sense? Instead of tracking the fuel, you can just write the adventure such that fuel is an issue (kinda like how the movie did it).


It does makes sense, but I'm not sure all types of players would buy it. I don't think my players would buy that sort of thing. They'd feel like it was GM fiat, or GM intervention, or plain old railroading.

It reminds me of an adventure that depends on the PCs crashing, like Domain of Evil, where there is no option but to have the PCs crash. There is no adventure unless the PCs crash.

My players don't dig that at all. It makes them feel like they are not masters of their own destiny--as it doesn't matter what actions their characters take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Grand Moff
Grand Moff


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 10269
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One alternative would be the Endurance Dice Conversion I suggested. Under that system, the Rebel cruisers would've failed an Endurance roll at the end of the previous gaming session, giving the GM time to build the critical fuel status into the next round.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
garhkal
Grand Moff
Grand Moff


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11186
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, ohio.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Does that make sense? Instead of tracking the fuel, you can just write the adventure such that fuel is an issue (kinda like how the movie did it).


It does makes sense, but I'm not sure all types of players would buy it. I don't think my players would buy that sort of thing. They'd feel like it was GM fiat, or GM intervention, or plain old railroading.

It reminds me of an adventure that depends on the PCs crashing, like Domain of Evil, where there is no option but to have the PCs crash. There is no adventure unless the PCs crash.

My players don't dig that at all. It makes them feel like they are not masters of their own destiny--as it doesn't matter what actions their characters take.


Exactly. One of my modules have them crashing as part of the intro script, and so far around half a dozen of the players who played it at cons, felt a little railroady.. But then again, they seem to love other railroads where like "they start out captured".. Strange.
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Site Admin


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 3822
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Whills Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Many of you know that when GG6 Tramp Freighters was re-created as a Second Edition supplement, the Fuel rules were left out of the game.

At the time, I got it. I had read that the powers that be at WEG decided that bookeeping of fuel cells was not in the spirit of a Star Wars game.

Now....

The Last Jedi comes along.

And, Fuel is central to the plot. They've got enough for just one more jump...

Those 1E rules are relevant again.

When I first got the 2e version, I didn't even bother looking through it for differences. I really need to get a 1e copy of GG6 again!
_________________
*
"Would you trade that necklace for a glimpse into your future? ...What do you know of kyber crystals?"
"The Force moves darkly near a creature that’s about to kill... I'm gonna follow Jyn. Her path is clear."

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."


Last edited by Whill on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 841

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Many of you know that when GG6 Tramp Freighters was re-created as a Second Edition supplement, the Fuel rules were left out of the game.

At the time, I got it. I had read that the powers that be at WEG decided that bookeeping of fuel cells was not in the spirit of a Star Wars game.

Now....

The Last Jedi comes along.

And, Fuel is central to the plot. They've got enough for just one more jump...

Those 1E rules are relevant again.

When I first got the 2e version, I didn't even bother looking through it for differences. I really need to get a 1e copy of GG6 again!


Just FYI, I did scan through both versions of all the stuff. At one time, I owned both versions of everything. And, at that time, I was playing R&E, so I sold the 1E things that had identical content.

You'll be glad to know that there's not that much that wasn't carried over to 2E. Just stuff here and there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Site Admin


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 3822
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Whills Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and GG6 and The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Just FYI, I did scan through both versions of all the stuff...

You'll be glad to know that there's not that much that wasn't carried over to 2E. Just stuff here and there.

I know, but I must have the here and there!
_________________
*
"Would you trade that necklace for a glimpse into your future? ...What do you know of kyber crystals?"
"The Force moves darkly near a creature that’s about to kill... I'm gonna follow Jyn. Her path is clear."

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bren
High Admiral
High Admiral


Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 3604
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completist Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition / IAG All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0