The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to RP members of Imperial Intelligence and COMPOR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> How to RP members of Imperial Intelligence and COMPOR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cpkeyes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: How to RP members of Imperial Intelligence and COMPOR Reply with quote

So, I plan to include elements of Imperial Intelligence and COMPOR into some of my games I plan on GMing and was wondering on how I could best RP them or at least get a better understanding of them.

From what I undestand, to put it in historical terms. Imperial Intelligence a more competent Abwehr (I do not know if they have a 'ground force' like Death Troopers are in legends, through I already incorporate new EU with old EU in my games anyway) while the COMPOR is basically the Gestapo mixed with the SS. Is this correct? I imagine a member of COMPOR is going to more fanactical, less reasonable and brutal then someone from Intelligence, who will be more cunning and subtle.

Just wondering.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Evasive Action comic dealt heavily with COMPNOR. I'm sure you can find it floating around somewhere.

Also, I think they are more analogous to the Nazi Political Party or the Brownshirts then the SS, but I've seen them portrayed differently in different sources.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to RP members of Imperial Intelligence and COMPOR Reply with quote

I play average COMPNOR members as fanatical and/or indoctrinated and loyal to the New Order. COMPNOR agents I play as a mix of Gestapo and the NKVD. They often aren't overly intelligent and tend to be more concerned with rooting out internal disloyalty and scoring propaganda coups than in being maximally effective. COMPNOR troops I play as brutal, fanatical thugs convinced of the superiority of their members and tending to use brute force and frontal assaults over tactical skill or subtlety.

In general I think Star Wars plays best if most Imperials assume the Empire's victory is assured. This justifies having them focused more on scoring political points against or one-upping their rival officers, bureaucrats, and politicians than in immediately defeating the Rebels. With COMPNOR I assume they are political appointees first and military officers or intelligence agents second so this tendency to focus on internal rivals is even more pronounced in them than in the Imperial Army or Navy - who I see as generally more professional.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to RP members of Imperial Intelligence and COMPOR Reply with quote

Cpkeyes wrote:
So, I plan to include elements of Imperial Intelligence and COMPOR into some of my games I plan on GMing and was wondering on how I could best RP them or at least get a better understanding of them.

From what I understand, to put it in historical terms. Imperial Intelligence a more competent Abwehr (I do not know if they have a 'ground force' like Death Troopers are in legends, through I already incorporate new EU with old EU in my games anyway).

Based on their description, I picture Death Troopers more along the lines of Delta Force or Seal Team Six, but without the restrictions of Posse Comitatus. It's an open secret that members of the Special Operations community "consult" with domestic law enforcement, but in the SWU, there is no need for the legal fiction, so elite units can act openly as security forces for Imperial VIPs.

Organizationally, Imperial Intelligence has no organized military units under its command, apart from small units or individuals from the Operations Bureau (or even worse, an Adjustments Agent). They're more of a scalpel, where COMPNOR is a cleaver or a bludgeon. That doesn't mean they can't have forces seconded to their command, whether stormtroopers or regular Army.

Quote:
while the COMPOR is basically the Gestapo mixed with the SS. Is this correct? I imagine a member of COMPOR is going to more fanatical, less reasonable and brutal then someone from Intelligence, who will be more cunning and subtle.

Historically, the Gestapo was a sub-branch of the SS, under the Reich Main Security Office, much like how the ISB is a sub-branch of COMPNOR. The other two branches were the SD and Kripo (SS Intelligence and Criminal Police, respectively), which don't have clear parallels under the COMPNOR system.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought of Compnor similar to the KGB/CIA, while Imp intelligence is the FBI..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've always thought of Compnor similar to the KGB/CIA, while Imp intelligence is the FBI..

The Empire in general leans more Nazi Germany than USSR, complete with the racial purity mindset.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: