The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

RIP Ron Cobb, concept artist
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> RIP Ron Cobb, concept artist
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: RIP Ron Cobb, concept artist Reply with quote

http://www.roncobb.net/film.html

A couple days ago Ron Cobb passed away. He was a film concept artist who worked on many films in the past several decades, including the original Star Wars. He designed a couple of my favorite species, Ithorians and Duros. He also designed what WEG made into the Revwiens (the plant alien not realized for the film). And he designed the Gotals. Ithorians, Duros, and Revwiens are first-tier playable alien species in my game. The Art of Star Wars has a page with these sketches, and in high school before I had my own copy the book, I thought the art was so cool I photocopied them from my local library's copy. I think I may still have those tucked away in a trapper keeper folder somewhere. And this was also the artist who designed the inside and outside of the Delorean Time Machine in Back to the Future.

It is very interesting that Cobb conceived of Ithorians as being amphibious creatures. It makes me want to make an amphibious variant of Ithorians and name them Meerians after Luke saying he sees a "Meerian hammerhead" when he enters the cantina in the radio drama.

RIP Ron Cobb
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing artist. He will be missed.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad that such a great artist has passed. His legacy endures in his great art though, and it everyone it inspired.

Rest in Peace Ron Cobb
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP, Ron Cobb

As many have said already, a legend. Loved not only his Star Wars designs, but also his concept work for Blade Runner, Alien, the DeLorean time machine of course, and The Last Starfighter.

Whill wrote:
It is very interesting that Cobb conceived of Ithorians as being amphibious creatures. It makes me want to make an amphibious variant of Ithorians and name them Meerians after Luke saying he sees a "Meerian hammerhead" when he enters the cantina in the radio drama.

A quite belated response to this thread here, but I just wanted to say that despite having seen his SW work many times before, I'm not sure I'd seen the annotated versions of these images, or at least not in this complete a form, eg: the fascinating detail re: a religion based on the tying and untying of knots for the amphibious Hammerhead concept, etc. Perhaps Whill's Ithorian evolutionary offshoot will be members of this knot-practice too?

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: