The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My non-StarWars campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> My non-StarWars campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: My non-StarWars campaign Reply with quote

Ok, KageRyu, here's a thread.

This first campaign is mostly going to be a test run, for me and players to get used to the d6 way of playing, and to make sure all the stuff I've come up with are in order.

The general plot is that people-eating aliens invade earth, and humans get help from some other aliens fighting back. (Actualy, the friendly aliens will be doing most of the fighting...) Motives behind the invasion will be explored in a second campaign.

Most of the stuff I'll be working on is species' stats and armories. I've gotten all the species pretty much done, though I still need to tweak them a bit. Armories might be a pain. I'll see.

I'll post the rest of stuff later so I don't gab on forever.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to take so long to apply. One invaluable source you might want to look into for custom D6 gaming are the new books by WEG. The D6 Space Opera setting would be ideal for an anime like, alien invasion campaign. Or possibly the D6 Adventure (set in contemporary times) if the humans are modern day. I think the D6 Space would be the most helpful to you. The WEG website has some demo packs for spaceship construction, and such.

For converting the Force to non Star Wars games it should be approached in 2 ways. One, convert force points, and two convert or remove the Force powers/skills.

Force Points can be simply renamed Fate Points, or Destiny Points, or something similar (I believe that is how the new D6 does it) and can have the same effects as described. Use them for a limitted form of "Script Immunity", after all, the hero shouldn't die until a dramatic moment, and the Villain shouldn't die until the last reel.

Force Skills/Powers could be renamed and adapted as a form of Psychics of sorts... or even Individual Powers could be used for special abilities for aliens and creatures (an idea already supported with some creatures/aliens in the SW games). Or you could remove them all together.

Dark Side Points is trickier, I would need to know more about the Game setting before really having any ideas. You could keep them in a way as a guideline of how the characters behave (yeah, alien sympathy points..."I agree with the aliens cause humans suck"). Maybe modify exactly how they affect characters... Of course, you could just do away with them too.

Hope some of this helps.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a game that I called "Legends of the Blade" (LotB for short) that ran off the D6 system.

It was a D&D-style game and I've been playing it for almost nine years now.

The system is easily converted to other genres.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be keeping force points, to keep things simple. There won't be any "Jedi" by name but you can still become a Jediesque-type character. But there will also be other diciplines to go into, like psychics and elementalists.

I'll also be adding 'variations', pretty much a specialization of a force ability. It basicly lets the player do things with a skill that is conceivavble, but difficuilt to do untrained. Such as using telekenisis to fly, or detoxify to become resistant to a specific poison. Training time and CP cost depend on the nature of the skill.

Many natual abilities of species (including humans) will require CP to acheive, so to have better balance.

DarkSide points will be almost exactly the same, except all PCs receive a dark point when doing evil. (You don't have to be force-sensitive to be evil) But the powers of darkness might not try and turn PCs right away...

The first campaign will be air/ground based, so I won't work on ships just yet. I think I'll make a generic armory list based of the books that I have (RErulebook, Shadow 'o da Empire planets guied, Impi scoursebook, Return 'o da Jedi galaxy guide. DeathStar stats! Hahahah!) And then alter it for each species' military.

The basic plot is as follows: The Vortons, a race of sentient-hunting preadators, is trying to invade earth. Not hunt humans, or capture them for stock, actual invasion-very unusual for them. Not only that, the Sneedle species has allied themeselves with the Vortons, another strange thing. Naturaly, the Imperial Alliance is worried. Thet send a Fleet asap to protect the humans, but the Vortons get there just a few days ahead. Which is where the gameing begins.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another change to the force:
If a PC learns an ability, he/she/it won't be able to use it at their full skill code. An ability starts at 1D, and is improved by +1 for 1CP and some training.

It means that if a PC gets a new ability, they aren't automaticly as good as they are with other skills. (once a ability reaches their die code, it goes up with the code.) It's a small price to pay CP wise (3CP for 1D) but still takes a while to train it up.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the stats for a Vorton. All the species I plan on making can be used by players (just not now). Many of them will have greater-than-human stats, but this is because most of them have a longer lifespan, and thus longer time to develop their abilities. The scent and natural weapon bonuses might be altered a bit, I'll have to go look at the species in the databank for precedent.

Vorton

Dexterity 2D/4D+1
Knowledge 1D/3D
Mechanical 2D/4D
Perception 3D/5D
Strength 3D/5D+1
Technical 1D/3D

Move: 11/14
Attribute: 12D
Size: 1.5-2.5m

Age= Character min./Adult/Elder/Old(max)

Scent: Vortons have a excelent sense of smell. +2D on all rolls that require the use of smell. If a foul oder is present, they receive a -1D penalty on ALL rolls. If a Vorton is deprived of the sense of smell, they receive a -2 penalty to Perception rolls.

Natural Weapons: Vortons have claws and teeth. Claws add +1D in brawling damage, not accuracy. Vortons may specialize in claw-fighting skills. Claws also add +2D to climbing rolls. Vortons use their teeth mailny for eating, and only when desparate in battle. Uses the brawling skill and adds +2D damage. Vortons may not specialize in tooth-fighting skills (There are none.)

Pack Mentality: A Pack/Tribe can work very well together, and will therefore have much better 'command' abilities than the average squad, or even vetran squads.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the pack mentality you may want to look at a few of the races in Gry's wonderful Alien Stats. As I recall, a few gain bonus dice to knowledge, or perception attributes due to Hive mind. Perhaps something like that could help?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're more like wolves. They function just fine when alone (I should post some history...) but can work together MUCH better than humans usualy do.

edit: I've looked at some of the species in the big nice list, claws will remain at 1D, but teeth will be reduced to 1D+2
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i was merely suggesting the "collective" rules as a benchmark on some ways to handle Pack bonus, not really implying that they had to be a collective mind. Though, from what you describe, I would say have 1 NPC be the Pack leader in a group (With higher STRENGTH and a higher Command skill). If he falls, it would help demoralize the pack. Generally, when wolves gather in a pack, the larger and stronger males become the pack leader through sheer force.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll lower the command difficulty whenever Vortons are involved. It's not that Vortons are any better at being in charge, they're just better at working together. But I think I'll make sure the leader has some competition, and has means to stay leader.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's some stats for the Drakon.

Dexterity 2D/5D
Knowledge 2D/4D
Mechanical 2D/4D
Perception 3D/4D+2
Strength 3D/5D
Technical 2D/3D+2

Move: 12/14
Attribute: 14D
Size: 2-2.5m

Tail: Drakon have tails. They use this tail as another appendage, although it's not very prehensile. Short tails are about 1m long, the longest one was around 3m, but most are about 1.5-2m long. The tail is also used in combat. +1D to the brawling/parry skill and balance. Deals STR+2 damage if used as a weapon.

Aquatic: Drakon evolved from the ocean, and still are quite at home in the water. +3D bonus to swimming, and +1D to DEX when underwater.

Genetic recall: Drakon can regain the abilities of their evolutionary ancestors, with lots of practice and training (and CPs) These include water and fire breathing, though others are rumored to exist.

Great Expectations: Because Drakon have greater attributes, the standard of performance is much higher amoung them. As such they receive -1CP per adventure, or at most -1 per award.

Drakon are the most influential species around, and pretty much look like lizard-men. If you read some of the new stuff on Barabels, they are very similar to them and a bit like Klingons of Star Trek. Little flowery language, a bit literal-minded, and very feirce in what they do. They are generaly very reliable, and have a code of honor (though the code varies from person to person. But Drakon accept that.)
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
If a PC learns an ability, he/she/it won't be able to use it at their full skill code. An ability starts at 1D, and is improved by +1 for 1CP and some training...

Just a suggestion; how about making every power it's own attribute?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Argamoth wrote:
If a PC learns an ability, he/she/it won't be able to use it at their full skill code. An ability starts at 1D, and is improved by +1 for 1CP and some training...

Just a suggestion; how about making every power it's own attribute?

Wouldn't that tend to get a little monstrous? I mean, the powers are somewhat organized now, being separated under the skills that are required to use them. If each is its own attribute, you're gonna have a character sheet a mile long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: