The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Handheld weapon against starships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Handheld weapon against starships Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Handheld weapon against starships Reply with quote

Is there some kind of weapon that a character can use that would at least put a dent in a starship? I'm thinking a one-shot rocket launcher over-the-shoulder kind of thing, but haven't been able to find any.

There's a chance the PCs will have to defend themselves from a a strafing starship before they can get to their own ship, and if one of them could have at least a small chance to delay the attack a little bit I think it would make a good fight/chase sequence.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 6D scale difference between character scale and starfighter scale. Therefore, you are looking for something, character scale, that does 9D+ damage.

Thermal detonators do 10D damage, 4D starfighter scale. I'd call it a moderate roll of the appropriate skill to switch them out with the explosive in a shoulder mounted RPG.

A Heavy Repeating Blaster does 8D damage. You can jury rig it to do 11D damage, 5D starfighter scale. You'll probably only get off a few rounds of fire before it malfunctions.

There's also a Squib Tensor Rifle. Starting at 3D damage, every time you hit the target you do an additional +1D damage.

Good luck
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of my favorite Star Wars comics by Marvel, #65 Golrath Never Forgets, Lt. Mils Giel snaps off a quick shot with his blaster in spite and actually manages to damage Luke's X-wing hyperdrive motivator. Gamewise, I figured he blew a Force Point and/or rolled a couple of 6's on the Wild Die.

Regardless, I thought it was very cool and dramatic. It makes Leia's (or Chewie's) shots at Slave I seem less futile.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard DL-44 does 5D damage. Max modification brings it to 6D+2 damage. Two character points brings the damage to 8D+2, or 2D+2 starfighter scale.

A standard BlasTech T-6 “Thunderer” Heavy Blaster Pistol does 6D+2 Damage. Max modification brings it to 8D+1. Two character points brings it to 10D+1.

The standard Stormtrooper Two Blaster Carbine does 6D+2 damage.

The Exotar Arms Predator Blaster Rifle does 7D standard damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Scale System are you using?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PLX-4 Portable Missile Launcher from the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook (maybe last command?) does 6d Speeder Scale damage.
My players used one to take out a Barabel Shock Boxer with CPs, so anything is possible.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
What Scale System are you using?

2E R&E

I don't know about the original poster, that would change things considerably.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using McNeill's updated scale system, there's a chance at damaging a starfighter with character scale weapons, since they're smaller than walker scale, but larger than speeder.

100 Storm Troopers combining fire on a ship with their E-11s will put a dent in it using 2E R&E since that's 33D potential bonus damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using my system, a PLEX becomes a decent weapon against Starfighters, with a Scale Difference of 2D instead of 4D. So it becomes a 4D Starfighter-Scale weapon with the equivalent of 2D Fire Control.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Handheld weapon against starships Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
Is there some kind of weapon that a character can use that would at least put a dent in a starship? I'm thinking a one-shot rocket launcher over-the-shoulder kind of thing, but haven't been able to find any.

There's a chance the PCs will have to defend themselves from a a strafing starship before they can get to their own ship, and if one of them could have at least a small chance to delay the attack a little bit I think it would make a good fight/chase sequence.

Ah, in that case, there's the Finbat Anti-Walker Missile, but it's a slow moving rocket which can potentially be shot down.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
A standard DL-44 does 5D damage. Max modification brings it to 6D+2 damage. Two character points brings the damage to 8D+2, or 2D+2 starfighter scale.

A standard BlasTech T-6 “Thunderer” Heavy Blaster Pistol does 6D+2 Damage. Max modification brings it to 8D+1. Two character points brings it to 10D+1. .

TO me, a thunderer is already a max modded up regular heavy blaster pistol.. so it can't be modded any more.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the Finbat be a 12D Character Scale weapon is, IMO, a bit ridiculous. Its stats may say it is slow and can be shot down, but when adjusted for Scale, it becomes a 6D Damage / 6D Fire Control weapon against starfighters. Having big, lumbering things like Walkers be more fragile and more maneuverable than Starfighters was one of the big reasons I came up with my own Scale system in the first place.

I’d say the Finbat needs a re-stat to make it a big, clumsy weapon that is great against Walker-Scale vehicles, but too slow to hit a fast, maneuverable Starfighter.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree, CR.

I do think that we should have some anti-starfighter weaponry which can be "hand held," or something with at least a chance of causing some damage.

Now, does that mean that we should have the Star Wars equivalent of Stinger Missiles? Maybe. Honestly, I think that most of the shoulder mounted rockets that do 6D should have their damage kept, and then bump them up to speeder scale to make them viable anti-armor options, but not really an option for bulls-eyeing individual characters.

The easiest way to handle the Finbat, IMO, would be to drop damage and up scale. Maybe make it a 6D Walker Scale missile, so it loses the bonus to hit but keeps the hard hitting damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I don't disagree, CR.

I do think that we should have some anti-starfighter weaponry which can be "hand held," or something with at least a chance of causing some damage.

Now, does that mean that we should have the Star Wars equivalent of Stinger Missiles? Maybe. Honestly, I think that most of the shoulder mounted rockets that do 6D should have their damage kept, and then bump them up to speeder scale to make them viable anti-armor options, but not really an option for bulls-eyeing individual characters.

That's essentially what the PLEX becomes under my Scale System; you don't even need to change the stats. Granted, 4D is going to have to roll above-average to have a chance against heavy fighters like the X and Y-Wings, but lighter craft like TIEs will be legitimately threatened.

Quote:
The easiest way to handle the Finbat, IMO, would be to drop damage and up scale. Maybe make it a 6D Walker Scale missile, so it loses the bonus to hit but keeps the hard hitting damage.

Agreed, although I think a 7D or 8D would be more in keeping with what WEG intended. After all, once it's adjusted for WEG Scale modifiers, it did 8D Damage against Walkers. That's enough for a Lightly Damaged result on an AT-AT with every hit.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make a single use missile tube based off of this:

Quote:
Model: Merr-Sonn MX-10
Type: Anti-vehicle missile emplacement
Scale: Speeder
Skill: Missile weapons: missiles
Ammo: 10 (permanent missile rack)
Cost: 20,000 (launcher, new), 8,000 (launcher, used),
500 (“dumb” rocket), 1,000 (“smart” GAM rocket), 2,000
(“savant” rocket)
Availability: R, X
Body: 3D
Range: 100-500/3/10 km
Damage: 6D
Source: Hideouts & Strongholds (page 10, 36)

Maybe this to replace the Finbat:

Quote:
Model: Bryn & Gweith Mounted MPTL 17
Type: Anti-vehicle torpedo launcher
Scale: Walker
Skill: Missile weapons: anti-vehicle
Crew: 4, skeleton: 2/+10
Ammo: 25
Cost: 18,000 (new), 9,000 (used)
Availability: R or X
Body: See mounting location
Fire Rate: 1/2
Fire Control: 2D+2
Range: 20-60/3/16 km
Damage: 9D
Source: Hideouts & Strongholds (page 62)

At least to use as a template.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: