The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New TIE from SOLO Movie (TIE Gunship? TIE Bomber Prototype?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> New TIE from SOLO Movie (TIE Gunship? TIE Bomber Prototype?) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
The classic answer would be "cost". If it costs less to train a pilot and shove 'em into a cheap fighter than it does to make a better fighter, then pilots are disposable. Also, it might be a point of policy by Sheevie boi himself that people are disposable. And, maybe there's some nepotism about "good enough TIEs" that makes the good TIEs be relegated to later projects.

Personally, I think it's a bit of one and a bit of the other - and a need for any new Star Wars movie to give stuff their own spin, chronology notwithstanding.

And from Star Wars Rebels, we get another answer to garhkal's question of why certain TIE models don't show up in the later movies: Rebel sabotage. All it took to keep the TIE Defenders from showing up on the scene was a single Jedi Knight with a hang-glider, an exposed fuel depot and a trigger-happy Blood Knight of an Imperial governor with an AT-AT. If there's no fuel for the TIE Defender factory, then there's no factory production of TIE Defenders. Which equals no TIE Defenders.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other issue is the trade-off in performance, in that, assuming the new TIE uses as many of the same basic components as possible, but adds heavier armor, shields, heavier cannon, etc, the engines (presumably the same ones used by the standard TIE fighter) won’t be capable of the same speed and Maneuverability.

That trade-off is going to make this TIE effective against targets that are durable yet sluggish, but not so much against light, fast targets like starfighters.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, comparing it to the base TIE, this has only a 7 speed, vice 10, but it has the same 2d maneuverability..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, comparing it to the base TIE, this has only a 7 speed, vice 10, but it has the same 2d maneuverability..

I wrote up the stats to fit into my stat update project, where TIE/ln's have a Maneuverability of 3D. If you want to use the stats with the RAW TIE stats, just drop Maneuverability to 1D.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work.. And maybe the reason we didn't see them later, is rebels had a mission to steal the plans, erase them and destroy the facility..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That would work.. And maybe the reason we didn't see them later, is rebels had a mission to steal the plans, erase them and destroy the facility..

It's also possible, because of the time frame of this film as it pertains to the others, that this model of TIE was a contemporary of the TIE/gt and other 1-gen TIE fighters. As such, it would've been obsolete by the time of the OT, and not found in front-line fleet units (which are pretty much all we see in the OT and Rogue One). That doesn't mean they won't be encountered in outlying garrisons and such.

Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variant TIEs in the past simply means the Empire was experimenting with different designs. It doesn't mean they were ever used in the numbers that regular Fighters, Interceptors, and bombers were used. Or perhaps they were tried and phased out.

A standard TIE does 5D damage. While it's nothing exceptional, it is enough to get the job done against most starfighter scale targets. Sacrificing speed to get more armor and firepower sounds like something they'd try and realize what they need is more speed, hence the Interceptors.

That's assuming Disney is trying to keep things fitting logically in continuity.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd like to see a symmetrical version with a gun pod on either side of the cockpit.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one of my players many moons back, acquired a tie bomber, and wanted to strip out all the launcher/ammo bay portion of the 2nd pod, and put in a twin heavy ion AND twin heavy laser in the place of it.. As well as a shield generator and power cells needed for all of that stuff..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I know one of my players many moons back, acquired a tie bomber, and wanted to strip out all the launcher/ammo bay portion of the 2nd pod, and put in a twin heavy ion AND twin heavy laser in the place of it.. As well as a shield generator and power cells needed for all of that stuff..

That was one of the options I threw in for my TIE Bomber Modular Pod. There were all kinds of things that could be swapped in in trade for the concussion missile launcher.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I liked the leaflet load for the TIE Bomber.

Of course, you could cover the leaflets in contact poison, and/or radioactive tracker dye, if you wanted to...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's just evil!!!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just wow. What sinister sort of gammaster would even COME UP with that!?!?

I'm going to have to use this.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamemaster? I was a player in that campaign.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Makes you wonder then, if its heavier armed AND armored, why it was not used in latter years of the empire??

But then again, that's my main gripe about adding in ANY new fighter variant in the prequels/earlier films... IF THEY are so bloody good, why are they not around later on??

I always presumed they ARE used later. Why no strikers? Those are ground based fighters for use in atmosphere, and so would only be seen on an Imperial ground base. These armored ones? You wouldn't want those in an attack wing where there are x-wings and a-wings about to hammer them.. you might see them patroling Ord Mantel though..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: