The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using Mini-Six static defenses in my game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Using Mini-Six static defenses in my game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Using Mini-Six static defenses in my game Reply with quote

I'm starting a new campaign and going with a modified version of Mini-Six's static damage. I see the change as when D&D went from THACO to attack bonuses.....

Dodge Defense: Dodge x 3 + pips + cover (situational).

So a Stormtrooper would have a Dodge Defense of 13 (4d+1 Dodge + cover).
The distances would then modify my blaster shot to hit the stormtrooper (or anyone else) like this:

Point Blank/ Hand-to-Hand +10,
Short Range +5
Medium Range -5
Long Range -10

So if I have a 4d+2 in blaster, and I’m attacking a Stormtrooper at short range who has 1/4 coverage, it may go like this:

Roll my attack and get a 16. I’d add a +5 because of the range, for a total hit of 21. Great! His regular defense is a 13, and his 1/4 cover (+1D (or an average of 3-4, not sure yet) to his defense) modified it to a 17. I still hit...

At Medium range I would have totally missed with an 11. It would have taken me a Character Point or two to hit the trooper. Then to determine damage, a static Soak Defense.

Soak: Strength x 3 + pip + armor

So our stormtrooper (2d STR) has a Soak of 8 vs. blasters and 10 vs. physical damage (their armor grants a 1d vs. physical damage, so I’m taking the avg. and rounding up).

If my 4d damage blaster pistol hits him for an average of 14, I beat his soak by 6, meaning I’ve now left him Wounded. If he wanted to spend a Character Point to add to his soak, he could–a CP would let you add a 1d to Soak.

If a character wants to do a full defense (full dodge) it adds a +10 to their defense.

Is it perfect? Probably not. But neither was d6 as written. It’s still super fun though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: