The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperspace & Comms
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Hyperspace & Comms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Hyperspace & Comms Reply with quote

Hyperspace & Comms

I've been thinking about this--that we've seen communications being used while a ship is in hyperspace....

Obviously, sensors are used while in hyperspace. Page 59 of the First Edition core rule book, under Mishaps, says, "Starships are equipped with gravitic sensors to sense small masses and, if one is dangerously close to the ship and its path, cut the hyperdrive, throwing the ship into normal space."

Also, there are EU references where a ship can cut out its hyperdrive early, on purpose--meaning that a ship is not locked into going to its destination once it enters hyperspace. It can stop somewhere along the path. For that to happen, there has to be some method of figuring where the ship will exit--and that probably involves sensors. Of course, I could see an argument that this is completely figured from the NaviComp plot, "You'll be here in two hours, there in three." Same could be said for the buzzer that goes off announcing arrival at the destination.

Hyperspace Comms Signal

My thought though is, if the ship can receive signals while in hyperspace, the ship is not completely cocooned off from anything outside its hull. And, therefore, , the ship should be able to transmit and receive some sort of comms signal while in hyperspace.

Meson Comm?

Maybe this is easy, using standard comms.

Maybe this isn't easy, and a special comm is needed, like the Imperial Hyperradio.

If you want a dedicated comm that a ship could conceivably use in hyperspace, I'd say that some Star Wars tech version of Meson communications is used. A meson is a massless theoretical particle (not unlike the graviton). Because it is massless, it could conceivably be hurled faster than light with little problem (and it may, in fact, be the basis of the Hyperradio), and the transmission will not get garbled with the distorted effects mass and gravity have on a hyperspace trip.

No Combat. Yes Communications.

Page 55 of the First Edition Core Rulebook says, "Ships in hyperspace cannot fire at each other, so there is little to worry about while en route." It doesn't say anything about barring comms. And, firing weapons takes a lot more than just targeting.

So, I can see Hyperspace communication (now that I've worked it out) as something that does not go against the rules of the WEG D6 game and is acceptable technology in the SW universe in general.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperwave transceivers.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperwave_transceiver/Legends

Distinct from subspace radio, which also was FTL.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Subspace_transceiver
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't say anything about their use during a hyperspace journey, though. That's the question.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the HoloNet entry:

"A message was first broadcast from a planet, a vessel in hyperspace, or from another point of origin; from there, it was then routed from the point of origin's transmitter through potentially millions of hyperwave transceivers suspended in hyperspace to a HoloNet relay, where it was sorted, identified and logged by the relay's computer, and then routed further via appropriate transceivers to its destination."
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Under the HoloNet entry:

"A message was first broadcast from a planet, a vessel in hyperspace, or from another point of origin; from there, it was then routed from the point of origin's transmitter through potentially millions of hyperwave transceivers suspended in hyperspace to a HoloNet relay, where it was sorted, identified and logged by the relay's computer, and then routed further via appropriate transceivers to its destination."

Still, that's the HoloNet, which is not quite what we're talking about (just voice comm). But, to your point, the case is made that communication in hyperspace isn't new to the new films.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think any form of communications signals will be very distorted if travelling in/through hyperspace, and thus a ship transmitting any comms signal would need to have the crew roll for communications, maybe with higher difficulties.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I would think any form of communications signals will be very distorted if travelling in/through hyperspace, and thus a ship transmitting any comms signal would need to have the crew roll for communications, maybe with higher difficulties.

Only even indirect reference on the top of my head is in RebelsS03orS04(I know, not the best example) it was pointed out that to control( done by some Imperial Intel Station) an astromech droid from such a distance and through hyperspace you need a strong signal to transmit.

Maybe it isn't entirely up to the crews Comms roll, but partial to the ships receiver(and senders transmitter)? Hyperspace and distance could add flat difficulty or dice modifier to transmissions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: