The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tramp Freighters; PCs with Two transports?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Tramp Freighters; PCs with Two transports? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I remember a campaign like that.

Link to research material.

Link 2


HA!

I says, "Pig Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck.
"And I'm about to put the hammer down."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 535
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convoy would actually make a great star wars adventure
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Convoy would actually make a great star wars adventure


"Meesa 'bout ta put da hammer down!"

-- Jar Jar Binks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 535
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
Convoy would actually make a great star wars adventure


"Meesa 'bout ta put da hammer down!"

-- Jar Jar Binks

the famous smuggler Rubber Duck being found and chased by the imperial customs service so the duck runs, gathering his duckling supporters and end up in a ditch.....awesome star wars
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 535
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That being said, Die Hard would be cool as well, set on the Death Star where johnny is climbing ducts and killing stormies, or maybe he is an imperial die harding rebels
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LTAaripJasall
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I constantly am thinking about making sure each person feels the GM attention, and it's tough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 535
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible I would suggest to split up the group, if this is possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LTAaripJasall
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we do all right, we are all pretty busy and have no-shows on a regular basis. But I think I have the information I need to handle the two-ship situation. So thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11617
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, ohio.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tramp Freighters; PCs with Two transports? Reply with quote

LTAaripJasall wrote:
Quick GM question. Running a game of Tramp Freighters and my murderhobos in space are about to cleanse a ship of it's slaver crew and take it for their second ship.

Granted, I could list any number of reasons why they couldn't take a second ship for their own, but it might be interesting to see the players try to pay for the upkeep and maintenance on two freighters, but aside from gamemaster fiat saying they can't (by way of some random lockdown that was put into place, or other prohibiting factor that prevents the PCs from taking the second ship) What are the pros and cons that other GMs have seen with their PCs obtaining a second vessel?

What interesting ideas can you throw my way to spice up the game and make it more interesting with this new wrinkle?

Again, the short version: PCs about to get a second ship, and I feel hesitant to say "nope, you can't do that" just because. Looking for feedback and advice on where to move forward from here.


Well several things can crop up. How do they 'license' it? Get Boss pilotings licenses for it? Where do they keep one at when using the other? Do they have enough crew for both ships to be operated at the same time?

LTAaripJasall wrote:

Since posting this morning I've come up with a list of ideas that may not prohibit the PCs from having a second vessel, but certainly give it character and might offset some of the bonuses of having a second vessel:

- Controls juryrigged over the years and malfunction on a regular basis.
- A constant reek from the former occupants
- The ship could marked as wanted by several police forces across the sector, being owned by former slavers.
- Paying closer attention to skeleton crew difficulties.
- I could be less married to the idea of their first ship as a "character" and having plot armor, if they have a second...


All good ideas, though on the latter, WHY do you feel if they only have one ship it should have some sort of 'plot armor'? Do you also give the actual Characters plot armor too (meaning they can't get killed)?

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Sounds like the crew of the second ship was up to no good. I'd make sure of some of the various criminal organizations that are detailed in the various D6 supplements.


Not just that. BUT since it's a slaver ship, if they killed everyone on it (NO prisoners), word could get out (one could have commed off the ship they are under attack by the pcs, and it appears the ship might get taken), that 'there is this ship of people who are so blood thirsty, you see them, you kill them on sight!'.

Mamatried wrote:
Slave rigging?

If the Katana fleet can be slaved then I am equally sure a freighter ot three as well can be slave rigged


How many hundreds of thousands of credits did the designers TAKE to slave rig that fleet? And if it was so easy, why has no one else done that SINCE THEN??
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LTAaripJasall
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tramp Freighters; PCs with Two transports? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
LTAaripJasall wrote:
Quick GM question. Running a game of Tramp Freighters and my murderhobos in space are about to cleanse a ship of it's slaver crew and take it for their second ship.

Granted, I could list any number of reasons why they couldn't take a second ship for their own, but it might be interesting to see the players try to pay for the upkeep and maintenance on two freighters, but aside from gamemaster fiat saying they can't (by way of some random lockdown that was put into place, or other prohibiting factor that prevents the PCs from taking the second ship) What are the pros and cons that other GMs have seen with their PCs obtaining a second vessel?

What interesting ideas can you throw my way to spice up the game and make it more interesting with this new wrinkle?

Again, the short version: PCs about to get a second ship, and I feel hesitant to say "nope, you can't do that" just because. Looking for feedback and advice on where to move forward from here.


Well several things can crop up. How do they 'license' it? Get Boss pilotings licenses for it? Where do they keep one at when using the other? Do they have enough crew for both ships to be operated at the same time?

LTAaripJasall wrote:

Since posting this morning I've come up with a list of ideas that may not prohibit the PCs from having a second vessel, but certainly give it character and might offset some of the bonuses of having a second vessel:

- Controls juryrigged over the years and malfunction on a regular basis.
- A constant reek from the former occupants
- The ship could marked as wanted by several police forces across the sector, being owned by former slavers.
- Paying closer attention to skeleton crew difficulties.
- I could be less married to the idea of their first ship as a "character" and having plot armor, if they have a second...


All good ideas, though on the latter, WHY do you feel if they only have one ship it should have some sort of 'plot armor'? Do you also give the actual Characters plot armor too (meaning they can't get killed)?

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Sounds like the crew of the second ship was up to no good. I'd make sure of some of the various criminal organizations that are detailed in the various D6 supplements.


Not just that. BUT since it's a slaver ship, if they killed everyone on it (NO prisoners), word could get out (one could have commed off the ship they are under attack by the pcs, and it appears the ship might get taken), that 'there is this ship of people who are so blood thirsty, you see them, you kill them on sight!'.

Mamatried wrote:
Slave rigging?

If the Katana fleet can be slaved then I am equally sure a freighter ot three as well can be slave rigged


How many hundreds of thousands of credits did the designers TAKE to slave rig that fleet? And if it was so easy, why has no one else done that SINCE THEN??



Thanks-- all really good things to mull over. Especially the bloodthirsty crew one and word getting out with retribution. Their actions should matter, and impact them. I've already given one player a DSP for the handling of the situation. This is perhaps the best response so far, because of the nature of what the crew is doing. They're supposed to be the heros. While they are working against slavers, there's always a solution that doesn't involve a blaster.


I've definitely put some holes in their first ship, but maybe plot armor was a bad term. I just haven't had a story reason to completely destroy their transportation yet. I have already destroyed a planet though. Would it be star wars without that?

I've killed inactive players, or absorbed some to be NPCs, but no accidental deaths yet.

I wasn't really entertaining the idea of slave rigging. Like a cloaking device, its just too rare and expensive.

Licensing they will have to figure a way to do. On a prior mission they've actually broken into a BOSS office on a frontier world and planted forged docs. I'd vouch that they try something similar. Maybe this time the ISB will be ready...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 535
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hundreds of thousands of credits did the designers TAKE to slave rig that fleet? And if it was so easy, why has no one else done that SINCE THEN??


It was done with droids, often but in small scales, it was done with a large number of at at and at st walkers, so why not allow withing reason 3-4 ships to be slaved, after all that should not be much if any hazzle at all
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
How many hundreds of thousands of credits did the designers TAKE to slave rig that fleet? And if it was so easy, why has no one else done that SINCE THEN??


It was done with droids, often but in small scales, it was done with a large number of at at and at st walkers, so why not allow withing reason 3-4 ships to be slaved, after all that should not be much if any hazzle at all


I think this is all covered in the Thrawn sourcebook. Not sure, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zarn
Captain
Captain


Joined: 17 Jun 2014
Posts: 624
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you slave rig something, your worst nightmare is a Verpine with a comms skill and an interest in slicing. Even a simple beckon call offers an avenue of attack.

Not to mention that any ECM / ECCM enabled capital ship would be able to jam pretty much anything but comms lasers - and perhaps even that. I think the following post is pretty interesting: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/64840/are-communications-jammers-common-in-the-star-wars-universe

So slave rigging a ship is possible - perhaps even fairly easy - but you'll have to contend with lag, and with the OPFORCE likely jamming as a matter of course (perhaps with an eye towards preserving their own comms through frequency-hopping and modulating their jammers - but the bandwidth needed for slave rigging would likely mean that you can't slave rig through frequency-hopping comms).

You might be better off with droidifying the ship; getting hold of something like Vulture droid brains and installing them as pilots and/or gunners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LTAaripJasall
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently introduced an ISB ship that relies heavily on Electronic Warfare against PCs. When this ship shows up the players expect to lose fire control dice and receive false sensor readings. (Four, no eight, no.. three TIE fighters are closing on us!)

This would probably love to muck with slave rigging.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11617
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, ohio.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tramp Freighters; PCs with Two transports? Reply with quote

LTAaripJasall wrote:

Licensing they will have to figure a way to do. On a prior mission they've actually broken into a BOSS office on a frontier world and planted forged docs. I'd vouch that they try something similar. Maybe this time the ISB will be ready...


Did they leave a trace that they'd broken in?? If so, maybe BOSS has locked out that facility, and tracks all 'new registrations coming from it' for a time.

Mamatried wrote:

It was done with droids, often but in small scales, it was done with a large number of at at and at st walkers, so why not allow withing reason 3-4 ships to be slaved, after all that should not be much if any hazzle at all


My whole issue, is if it was 'so easy', why has no one else done it prior to the Katana fleet, or post, till lando did with that slave rigged mobile station in the NJO time frame??
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0