The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> D6 Rules...What Have The New Films Changed? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
<shrug> Then just apply the variable damage rule from the DS II to the DS I, along with a House Rule for the Fire Control so it can successfully target Capital Ships.

This is exactly what I did after R1.

CRMcNeill wrote:

This could be argued simply as a demonstration of skill level, being able to hit a target in spite of a -6D Scale penalty.

Precise hit eliminated the splash damage? I thought of above rule in the opposite context. Chrriut's high skill roll in order to take down starfighter with a character scale weapon.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Precise hit eliminated the splash damage?

Well, technically - per the RAW, at least - there is no splash damage. Which is silly, of course. A weapon that does 12D Character-Scale Damage to whatever it hits is obviously not going to confine that energy release specifically to the point of impact. Here's my solution.

Quote:
I thought of above rule in the opposite context. Chirrut's high skill roll in order to take down starfighter with a character scale weapon.

That's technically what we already have in the RoE Optional Damage rule; characters with high skill levels can boost their damage based on how well they rolled to hit.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Even at a 2d sacrificed from the to hit, to 1d gained on damage ration, Chirrut, if he had say 7d+2 normally, could have popped a force point - giving him 14d+4 - add in the 6d scaling, and he would have had 20d+4 overall to hit. If he sacrificed 12 of that, it would have given him 6d damage, offsetting the 6d scale difference, leaving him with 8d+4 to hit the Tie with.
AND SINCE the tie pilot had NO REASON to be making any vehicle dodge rolls, that 8d+4 should have been MORE than enough for the shot to hit.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Well, technically - per the RAW, at least - there is no splash damage. Which is silly, of course.

It is called "blast radius" in RAW. But it is very inconsistent and confusing. In a given example of how the rules work, blaster cannon has blast radius. The same cannon in the description of droids / vehicles – there is none. Anti-infranty cannon has it, anti-vehicle does not, but anti-starfighter has it. And hand grenade has it, but concussion missiles and proton torpedoes don’t.

Quote:

That's technically what we already have in the RoE Optional Damage rule; characters with high skill levels can boost their damage based on how well they rolled to hit.

garhkal wrote:
Exactly. Even at a 2d sacrificed from the to hit, to 1d gained on damage ration, Chirrut, if he had say 7d+2 normally, could have popped a force point - giving him 14d+4 - add in the 6d scaling, and he would have had 20d+4 overall to hit. If he sacrificed 12 of that, it would have given him 6d damage, offsetting the 6d scale difference, leaving him with 8d+4 to hit the Tie with.
AND SINCE the tie pilot had NO REASON to be making any vehicle dodge rolls, that 8d+4 should have been MORE than enough for the shot to hit.

Then it would work.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Well, technically - per the RAW, at least - there is no splash damage. Which is silly, of course.

It is called "blast radius" in RAW. But it is very inconsistent and confusing. In a given example of how the rules work, blaster cannon has blast radius. The same cannon in the description of droids / vehicles – there is none. Anti-infranty cannon has it, anti-vehicle does not, but anti-starfighter has it. And hand grenade has it, but concussion missiles and proton torpedoes don’t.

So true. The # of threads i've had here, asking about what the blast radius of X is, shows the idiots who wrote many of the stats, didn't even think OF that angle.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are several reasons splash damage didn't become a thing in D6:
1) It would be a LOT more work
2) as inconsistent as WEG was, it would be awful if they did, lets be honest
3) they may have thought it wasn't important
4) they figured GM's would house-rule it on the fly
or, of course,
5) they didn't think of it.
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
or, of course,

But isn't the concept of "splash damage" similar to how grenades work in the game? Where theres an AOE that decreases effect the further you get from the blast point?

(I know we had a "house rule" about splash damage and that we took notes about it - but it was more about "A TIE Fighter is strafing you, roll to get out of its way", because scale would come into effect in that case. It was definitely "context" based and up to the GM.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
jmanski wrote:
or, of course,

But isn't the concept of "splash damage" similar to how grenades work in the game? Where theres an AOE that decreases effect the further you get from the blast point?

(I know we had a "house rule" about splash damage and that we took notes about it - but it was more about "A TIE Fighter is strafing you, roll to get out of its way", because scale would come into effect in that case. It was definitely "context" based and up to the GM.)

Hence why i don't think reason 1 or 2 were why they didn't make more weapons have a blast radius. I think it was more #5, or poss 4..
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

By the way - I did not find any limits to this rule. I guess we have to use common sense, you know, to avoid shooting down capital ships with hand blaster. 8)

Still great rule for resolving fight with large, tough creatures. Like Jango vs Reek - one well placed shot.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found all three of the RoE damage methods to be flawed in their own way. The one-for-one dice pool method essentially erases scale differences for high-level characters, the 1=1 method (+1 damage for every point of success on the To Hit roll) is similarly deadly, and the 5=1 method isn't deadly enough (IMO). My preferred method is splitting the difference between 1=1 and 5=1 at 3=1, which still provides a decent damage bonus on good accuracy without getting too out-of-hand.

jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with +1 for every 3 over the roll also (which is essentially +1D/10). It also seems to fit with the system better.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
By the way - I did not find any limits to this rule. I guess we have to use common sense, you know, to avoid shooting down capital ships with hand blaster. Cool

True, there is no max limit in ROE..

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've found all three of the RoE damage methods to be flawed in their own way. The one-for-one dice pool method essentially erases scale differences for high-level characters, the 1=1 method (+1 damage for every point of success on the To Hit roll) is similarly deadly, and the 5=1 method isn't deadly enough (IMO). My preferred method is splitting the difference between 1=1 and 5=1 at 3=1, which still provides a decent damage bonus on good accuracy without getting too out-of-hand.

Or going with a 2d sacrificed from the two hit pool to give +1d damage, capping the max amount you can gain, to equal with the weapon's damage output.. So a regular Pistol would cap out at 4d base +4d gained..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
or, of course,

Considering how long it took me to come up with a house rule I liked, it may have been all of the above.

WillTasker wrote:

There are some key differences between grenades and impact weapons like rockets or high-powered energy weapons. For one, a hand-thrown grenade with a timed detonator will give characters a limited window within which to react and get to cover or get outside of its 10-meter blast radius. A weapon / energy blast moving a supersonic / relativistic velocities, with a blast radius measured in hundreds of meters or more, that detonates on impact if not before (proximity detonated) is going to be all but impossible to avoid solely on human reflexes. Luck will play a huge factor.

jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, but there is still a larger cone of diminishing damage that should be dealt with
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup. Since most grenades seem to have 2 meter blast radiuses, then perhaps rockets and missiles should have 3 meter ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: