The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Wild Die
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> The Wild Die
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: The Wild Die Reply with quote

I'm a little confused (as I haven't used the 2nd edition ruleset in a long time). Maybe one of you can set me straight.

I'm looking at the R&E rules, page 74, and it says that the effect of the "1" on the Wild Die is considered on the first roll only.

What does that mean, "first roll only"? First roll of the game session? First roll of a combat round? First time that skill is used that game session? What?

Then, the rules say, "The wild die rule counts for all die rolls in the game,
including skill and attribute checks, weapon damage, and rolling Perception for initiative."

How does that reconcile with the first roll only?

Right below that, the rules say, "If the player is rolling two different types of dice at once — for example, rolling the character's starfighter piloting skill and the starship's maneuverability die code — only one die counts as the wild die."

This shows that the Wild Die does not count for all rolls in the game, as the Wild Die is only used once when rolling for piloting skill and the ship's maneuver dice.

So...I'm quite confused. When is the Wild Die used?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wild Die "explodes" on 6, so you may conceivably roll the Wild Die several times in one roll operation. If you roll 6, another 6, and then 1, the 1 does not turn it into a critical failure - it is the first roll of the Wild Die (and not any potential subsequent rolls) which trigger the effect of a 1 on the Wild Die.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Wild Die Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I'm a little confused (as I haven't used the 2nd edition ruleset in a long time). Maybe one of you can set me straight.

I'm looking at the R&E rules, page 74, and it says that the effect of the "1" on the Wild Die is considered on the first roll only.

What does that mean, "first roll only"? First roll of the game session? First roll of a combat round? First time that skill is used that game session? What?

including skill and attribute checks, weapon damage, and rolling Perception for initiative."

Right below that, the rules say, "If the player is rolling two different types of dice at once — for example, rolling the character's starfighter piloting skill and the starship's maneuverability die code — only one die counts as the wild die."

This shows that the Wild Die does not count for all rolls in the game, as the Wild Die is only used once when rolling for piloting skill and the ship's maneuver dice.

Wild dice 1 is almost just as explosive as the volatile 6.

I suspect they refer to the few times you can roll down with the wild dice.

I suspect they mean that you can not roll DOWN once you have the condition and the wild dice have exploded but you roll 1.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Wild Die Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Wild dice 1 is almost just as explosive as the volatile 6.

One could read the rules opposite of this, where the exploding 6 is used on all rolls, but the "1" is only considered on the First Roll.

The rules also state that Complications should only be considered a couple of times in an adventure--definitely not for every roll, or even every first roll.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wild Die Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

wild dice is always used, but doesn't always explode.

As to the example of the starship piloting roll and the starship maneuver roll I assume it is mean that this is a combined action, and thus get only one bonus from the wild dice.
If you did this with pilot and shields it would be the same, but if you did one action before the other, thus not combing them then both will get the wild dice, as they are really two seperate rolls for seperate things/actions, while the combined is not.

I can see that example being applied to a bomber diving towards his target while dodging anti air fire..........both the pilot and the dodge is doing the same thing at the same time, in this case avoiding blaster bolts, and is thus one action, but resolved with 2 rolls.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wild Die Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

it means the first roll, of that wild die, if its a 1, something happens. IF You got a 6, and are making a re-roll of it, then a "1" on the wild die means nothing other than you 'got a 1 to add in"..

IE 5d is rolled and comes up, 3, 4, 2, 4, (6)-1, then the first roll for the wild was a 6, followed by a 1.. So nothing special happens..
However if it instead was 3, 4, 6, 4, (1), then something does..

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

It works well, when you see what they were meaning..

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

It does when you see that combining 2 sets of values into one, is still making one 'roll'..

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

IIRC, there is only 2 times you do NOT ROLL the wild die..
1) Turning to the dark side avoidance
2) Mortally wounded, round to round tracker to see if you die..
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Wild Die Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

As to the example of the starship piloting roll and the starship maneuver roll I assume it is mean that this is a combined action, and thus get only one bonus from the wild dice.
If you did this with pilot and shields it would be the same, but if you did one action before the other, thus not combing them then both will get the wild dice, as they are really two seperate rolls for seperate things/actions, while the combined is not.

I can see that example being applied to a bomber diving towards his target while dodging anti air fire..........both the pilot and the dodge is doing the same thing at the same time, in this case avoiding blaster bolts, and is thus one action, but resolved with 2 rolls.

When the wild die is in use, it always "explodes" on a 6 (meaning you keep rolling as long as you get 6s, adding to the total). You talk about "rolling down" with the wild die, but I'm not sure what you mean.

I think you are a bit confused regarding piloting/maneuverability, that's not a combined action, and it's not taking two actions in one round (so no -1D in MAP). The Maneuverability stat is a feature of the starship - some ship are more agile/easier to fly - and this value is added to the PCs relevant piloting skill.

I don't really understand your bomber example. A pilot uses his relevant piloting skill (eg Space Transports or Starfighter Piloting) when dodging enemy fire. Depending on the situation/GM, flying towards a specific point and avoiding enemy fire can be one roll or two (with MAPs as suited), but the roll(s) would still be

[Piloting Skill] + [Maneuverability Stat of the ship] - [MAPs if applicable] and 1 wild die per roll.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Wild Die Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

When the wild die is in use, it always "explodes" on a 6 (meaning you keep rolling as long as you get 6s, adding to the total). You talk about "rolling down" with the wild die, but I'm not sure what you mean.

I think you are a bit confused regarding piloting/maneuverability, that's not a combined action, and it's not taking two actions in one round (so no -1D in MAP). The Maneuverability stat is a feature of the starship - some ship are more agile/easier to fly - and this value is added to the PCs relevant piloting skill.

I don't really understand your bomber example. A pilot uses his relevant piloting skill (eg Space Transports or Starfighter Piloting) when dodging enemy fire. Depending on the situation/GM, flying towards a specific point and avoiding enemy fire can be one roll or two (with MAPs as suited), but the roll(s) would still be

[Piloting Skill] + [Maneuverability Stat of the ship] - [MAPs if applicable] and 1 wild die per roll.

No you do not roll it like that.

Either roll maneuver alone for a BONUS/PENALTY to the pilot skill, or simply ADD the #D in Maneuver to your skill in piloting then use the wild dice------aka 1 roll.

it works like fire control.
if you blunder up shooting the control will not allow you to hit, it is simply a bonus # added skills for the checks.....

[Piloting Skill] + [Maneuverability Stat of the ship] - [MAPs if applicable] and 1 wild die per roll
Piloting skill ROLL + Maneuver #Dice ADDED to dice Pool of pilot roll.

4D+2 Piloting 3D Maneuver is 7D+2 on roll then add MAP if any and then resolve Wild dice.....
making this ONE roll.

after all you still miss if you can't hit the target, another roll with fire control don't negate the miss if you rolled good and then hit regardless???

So fire control Dice are added to the skill.............for gunnery
Maneuver Dice is added to the skill...........for piloting.

1 Roll = (5D+2 Piloting + 3D maneuver )-Map + Wild dice= Result

Last edited by Mamatried on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Wild Die Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Straxus wrote:

Either roll maneuver alone for a BONUS/PENALTY to the pilot skill, or simply ADD the #D in Maneuver to your skill in piloting then use the wild dice------aka 1 roll.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that both of you are saying the same thing, just expressing it differently.
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Wild Die Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Straxus wrote:

That's... excactly what I meant. "[Piloting skill]+[Maneuverability Dice]" means ADDING the dice together --> 1 roll (with one of the dice being the Wild Die)

The way you wrote it in a previous post made it a bit unclear (to me) what you meant, but I see we are on the same page here. I guess I should have written a specific example to clarify.

cheshire wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that both of you are saying the same thing, just expressing it differently.

Yup! That's how we roll Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: