The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Campaign Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanion wrote:
Personally, I either try to talk the players out of evil SW campaigns or I simply say "no".

Ditto.

Star Wars is about heroes. If you want to surround yourself with evil, watch the TV.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why watch the TV, when we can RP Star Wars?! Very Happy
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're preaching to the choir, brother!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But preach it I will! 8)
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But preach it I will! 8) Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with evil campaigns, or villain campaigns, or Dark Lord of the sith campaigns (what have you) in ANY game setting (and I have run a lot of games over the last 17 years) is that it always degenerates. Always. At some point, if not on the first adventure, the players begin to revel so much in not being bound by any tenets of morality, and start a major carnage spree. Killing indiscriminately, looting, pillaging, plundering, and raping without cause or reson. There is no focus, no plot, no real advancment, the players just want to blow stuff up, then complain when they really aren't getting anywhere. Worse than that, at some point, interaction among the group is brought down to the principle of who's got the bigger blaster... that is, one character starts bullying the others by threats or actions of force because he has either surpassed them in skill and weapons, or has some edge he is proud of. Then you start having infighting among players, then there's constant character death, then revenge character death, and it just keeps falling into this mindlessly annoying spiral until either the group disbands, or the GM says "ENOUGH!". Then, even when switching to a new campaign, there are often still ill feelings between players Sad

This sort of gaming adventure is no fun at all. I have sworn I myself would never run another villain game again.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it. Run a 'evil' setting. But here is a few suggestions.

1) Make it an evil vs. evil campaign.
2) Inform them that they will be resonsible for their own actions.
3) And that this game has no influence on any other game in the same setting.

(I've done this before)

You may be suprised by the results, I know I was.

My group did more good (for less) than bad. And they only got stuff off of the bad guys. They did not get rewards or cash from "people needing help". More than half the time they did not even search bodies for cash, weapons and stuff. It was a D&D game.

I feel that my players thought they had more options than they had before. If you look back at what they did, you would have called the theif of the party a paladin.

And it will make your players happy, remember its in the presentation of the package that is different not the stories.

If you go with it, remember that now the good guys are hunting them too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: