The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Power Points... O_o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side Power Points... O_o Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Dark Side Power Points... O_o Reply with quote

If one of your Jedi used darkside powers to defeat a sith/darkside adept or soemthing like that, would you still give them a DSP?
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

Because to draw on the dark side to defeat your enemy you must draw on hate or fear of him, in doing so you are leading yourself down the dark path.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allst, that's where i have to disagree, you don't have to hate someone to use a power.

If it worked like that one the darkside, wouldn't it work the same for the lightside, you would have to like someone to use affect mind on them? no, i have to disagree.

I am saying, if they have exhausted their lightside abilities to defeat them, and were not able, then throwing a bit of force lightning at them to finish the battle or something like that, would you still say it leads to the darkside, though they are using it for the good?
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We toss out those rules for DSP's. In our game, intent is what determines whether or not they receive a DSP for their actions...

In ROTJ, Luke Force Choked two Gamorreans for standing in his way at Jabba's palace. I mean, come on.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it really depends on the nature of the force power itself, as well as the intent. Telekinetic kill, or the 'force choke', is simply another method of using telekinesis, but force lightning, according to most sources, is the physical manifestation of the Dark Side's energy.

So, Force Lightning would pretty much be auto-DSP by my rules, but if someone came up with a clever way to use TKK without killing the person, and to promote some greater good, (IE, entry into a fortress to save your friend in carbonite), I would be more lenient. Again, this is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in RotJ Luke did start down the dark side after his fight with Vader, but managed to resist. Even though defeating Vader was good, he used his negative emotions to do it.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, but he still called upon the dark side. That's different than simply using the Force to harm. Basically, if one can use the Force in a calm state of mind, and there was no other non-violent way available to pacify the person in the way, one could use the Force to attack. When Luke fought Vader though, he was clearly in a state of rage and confusion, meriting the DSP.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
Well, in RotJ Luke did start down the dark side after his fight with Vader, but managed to resist. Even though defeating Vader was good, he used his negative emotions to do it.

Luke gave in to the dark side. It was only after Palpatine was congratulating him that he realized what he'd done, what he was becoming, and then he repented his actions.

If you're using a dark side power to defeat a dark sider, it doesn't matter if you hate them or not. Your drawing on your anger to do so. And you can draw on your hate because you can hate what they are and what they could do to innocents without hating them. So yes, I would still give a DSP because those powers require you to use the dark side to use them.

Wanted Poster
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real debate is what can be considered a dark side power. And I also think that the general consensus is that a dark side power should be a power that requires one to use the emotions of the Dark Side to use. I am of the opinion that a DSP is gained through intent, and that the "inherently evil" powers should only be those that require an evil state of mind to use. Basically, the autoDSP is there because the person has to be meriting a DSP in its use to use it. I for one would be hard-pressed to think of a way to use Force Lightning or Feed on Dark Side in a manner of good. However, I can see Doppleganger as not meriting a dark side point if the Jedi were using it to simply escape pursuit. I'm rehashing old points and refining them, so maybe I should stop talking for now. I'll post again if I have something new to say.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any power that warns of recieving a DSP requires you to call on the dark side unless the power specifies a certain way in which you would get a DSP when using it.

Wanted Poster
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emperor was trying to tempt luke into using his force powers improperly to defeat Vader and himself. To draw Luke down the dark path by releasing his hate to accomplish the task.

Now, calling upon the Dark Side to defeat a Sith, that would be a difficult Force Sense er sumthing roll. It is only easy to use the Dark Side when actively promoting evil.

But no matter what, you gain a Dark Side Point.

Edit:
After readinf some more of the posts.

Ok, so they used a force power against the Sith, not calling upon a Dark Side Force Point. That is VERY diffrent. Since they are already using force powers to kill them, why should Force Lightning and TK be any diffrent against a Sith. That is perfectly acceptable.
Just don't Kamehameha every problem with lightning, it will definitely lead to the darkside for that.
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trusty wrote:
We toss out those rules for DSP's. In our game, intent is what determines whether or not they receive a DSP for their actions...

In ROTJ, Luke Force Choked two Gamorreans for standing in his way at Jabba's palace. I mean, come on.

Yes, and that is where luke continued his path down the darkside (he began down this path much earlier in the trilogy). It was prophesized in ESB in the cave that Luke was going down the dark path. Yoda warned him to be careful. In interviews Lucas had made in magazines and TV in the 80's just prior to RotJ release he warned viewers to watch carefully as it clearly shows Luke's deeper connection to Vader, and how Luke is walking the same path (I took these comments to refer to the force choke, the lashing out in anger, and the arrogance and pride with which he confronts the emperor). It was when Luke severed Vader's hand in anger and for revenge at losing his own hand, only to find a mechanical stump did he realize that he was walking the same path, and had amoment of clarity.

As for using the force to harm, even against a sith, even if remaining calm, it is still a DSP. The ends do not justify the means.

"A Jedi uses the force for knowledge, and defence, never for attack." -Yoda
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for using the force to harm, even against a sith, even if remaining calm, it is still a DSP. The ends do not justify the means.

"A Jedi uses the force for knowledge, and defence, never for attack." -Yoda.

Well said KageRyu,

That is exactly what I ment The ends do not justify the means
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That exactly what I think :

A force sensitive caracter must be carefull to how he uses the force and what are the consequences of his action :

there is the manner and the result. Both must follow the light side.
Using dark side power to make the good leads quickly to the dark side because of bad feelings used to succeed (you have chosen the quickly way).
Using light side power to make bad action of course leads also to the dark side because of the result.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: