The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adventurer's Journal Presents...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Adventurer's Journal Presents... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Whill wrote:
As far as the covers, I do see your point but it seems they are trying to avoid using official Star Wars art (and art without permission as you stated).

True! Although there is a lot of high-quality, unofficial Star-Wars-specific fan art out there. I also get the impression they're maybe intentionally going for that harder sci-fi look with the covers, as a stylistic call by their head honcho?

Yeah we do try to steer wide when it comes to copyright. We have been getting a lot of volunteer submissions for art since the publishing of issue two. The hard sci fi look is probably an editor preference, again with the idea being to really avoid any conflict with the IP holders. Our editor/ leader has steered the boat really well so far, so I am good with what he chooses. If you have an idea for a future cover or just know someone that makes cool art that would like to be featured, get on the FB page and post something to that effect. Nothing is written in stone and good ideas are always appreciated.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an understandable position. If anyone wants to eventually make the jump to freelance RPG writing (or attract volunteers who are already doing so), then you can't do that if you're stealing art.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agreed. Again, as someone that did illustration full-time for a couple yrs or so (I still freelance now when dayjob permits), I am overjoyed that they specifically get the artists' permission. And I'm 100% behind them not poaching existing copyrighted official Lucasfilm artwork as well. In fact, I want them to use more original art -- just with more of a Star Wars aesthetic?

I get and 100% respect that the art direction toward harder sci-fi is the conscious choice, with that maybe extending so far as to avoid even fan-rendered but unlicensed images of recognizable tech, or aliens or what have you. I mean, the SW logo font isn't even being used -- which makes sense to me! But with SW-Artists' Guild and deviant-art, there are a number of talented folks doing unofficial very Star Warsy stuff. So hearing that you've gotten a lot more art submissions is awesome!

And I did join, bobenhotep! I submitted my old write-up of Buck Rogers as this guy http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2EUairspeederloose-m.jpg for their eventual "crossover" issue, if that is still in the works. I might make the art-style suggestion -- something more iconically SW. Cool to know there is some flexibility. I still have some contacts from my old IDW forum days for folks who made the jump from FanArt to professional work, I'll see if any of them are SWRPG inclined!

And the editor-in-chief / lead for the mag is doing a bang-up job. Really commendable, tight stewardship!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the Adventurer's Journal staff and contributors, it is my impression that the Rancor Pit is a respected Star Wars D6 community and valued host for the Adventurer's Journal.

I'd really love to see more feedback for it. Besides the fact that it had rushed editing, what did you guys think about all or any of it?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Rancor Pit ramblings I made over the years as a sort of "resume" to get in over at the AJ when they were working on issue 1. I was pretty intimidated at the time but worked my way into issue 2. When others came along, it was like a reunion of sorts.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional thoughts on Alien Environments that didn't make it into the final draft...

-Droids are much more resistant to environmental conditions, primarily by dint of not needing to breathe. A droid may ignore 1 level of Temperature deviation, and 3 levels of Atmospheric deviation (most droids are not hardened, for example, against vacuum).

-Some droids (particularly Astromechs, but others as well) are designed specifically for operations in the vacuum of space, and may ignore environmental conditions completely, as though they were wearing a full Space Suit.

-All types of Storm Trooper Armor offer varying degrees of resistance to environmental conditions, depending on their design, and may ignore up to 3 levels of Atmospheric deviation.

-Most Stormtrooper Armor (Standard, Seatrooper, Scout, Commando, Rad-Zone, Coruscant Guard and Royal Guard) ignores 1 level of Temperature deviation (hot or cold).

-Snowtrooper Armor ignores up to 2 levels of negative Temperature deviation.

-Sandtrooper Armor ignores up to 2 levels of positive Temperature deviation.

-Spacetrooper Armor functions as a Quality Space Suit.

-The Force Power Control Breathing may be used to resist Atmospheric deviation. Modify the power as follows:
    -Reduce Alter Difficulty to Moderate.

-On a Success, the Jedi may ignore 1 level of Atmospheric deviation, plus 1 level for every 10 points by which his roll beat the Alter Difficulty.
-The Force Power Absorb/Dissipate Energy may be used to resist Temperature deviation, both by absorbing and dissipating heat in hot climes and by absorbing and conserving their own body heat in cold climes. At a Base Difficulty of Easy, a Jedi using Absorb/Dissipate Energy may ignore 1 Level of Temperature deviation, plus 1 Level for every 10 points by which his Control roll succeeded.

EDIT: Added rules for specially hardened droids like Astromechs to operate in space, and for using Absorb/Dissipate Energy to counteract Temperature deviations.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Some additional thoughts on Alien Environments that didn't make it into the final draft...

Absorb/Dissipate Energy would also allow the Jedi to resist Temperature deviations, but only for hot temperatures. An additional power would be needed to resist cold. I'll put some thought into it.

Thanks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue 3 will drop November 4th, 2018. The topic is a place called Rotgut Station. IRL there is a guy who makes custom action figures and playsets, and has a whole room in his house built to look like the inside of a cavern or asteroid where he has a bunch of them set up. We took this place and worked to incorporate it into the Star Wars galaxy at large, and make it into a usable location for a GM that needs a seedy rock in the middle of nowhere as a setting. There will be other content that folks can use as well.

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
Issue 3 will drop November 4th, 2018. The topic is a place called Rotgut Station. IRL there is a guy who makes custom action figures and playsets, and has a whole room in his house built to look like the inside of a cavern or asteroid where he has a bunch of them set up. We took this place and worked to incorporate it into the Star Wars galaxy at large, and make it into a usable location for a GM that needs a seedy rock in the middle of nowhere as a setting. There will be other content that folks can use as well.

Thanks. Seeing some of the posts on Facebook throughout the development, I'm really looking forward to Issue 3.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
We took this place and worked to incorporate it into the Star Wars galaxy at large, and make it into a usable location for a GM that needs a seedy rock in the middle of nowhere as a setting. There will be other content that folks can use as well.

Wonderfully creative idea for a point of inspiration. Looking forward to seeing your work, as always.
DirkCorman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a character and done a story for said character for Issue 3
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue 3 is not going to be issue 3, but apparently is going to be "Adventurer's Journal Presents: Galactic Guide One- Rotgut Station. It has been pushed back to Monday, 05 NOV 18.

cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it. Thanks for the update!
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna be massive, hence the namechange to Galaxy Guide.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

180 some odd pages last I heard. We are debating what the next issue will be since the Force issue is pushed up one so it comes out on May 4th. I'll probably draw a bunch of blasters and spaceships regardless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: