The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Option: Action Phase Initiative
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Option: Action Phase Initiative
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Option: Action Phase Initiative Reply with quote

Here is a new way to do initiative called, "Action Phase Initiative". It is based on a very old game named Villains & Vigilantes.

All characters roll Initiative (Perception) and note the total. Characters go in order highest to lowest. Turns are comprised of Action Phases, and the number rolled for Initiative is the number of the first Action Phase during which the character may act. Ties go to the character with the highest Perception attribute, or roll a dice to determine the who goes first.

It is possible to act more than once per Turn. All characters are allowed to act again in the same turn five phases after their last action was allowed, these are called Action Phases. Thus a character whose total Initiative is 16 perform an action on Action Phases 16, 11, 6, and 1. Each action performed after the first suffers a -1D modifier.

Actions don't have to be performed on the allotted Action Phase. A Character may delay an Action Phase, "banking" it until later in the Turn, even if it interrupts another character's action. Action Phases cannot be saved for use in a later Turn. A character can only perform one action in any given Action Phase.

Questions, criticisms, suggestions are all welcome.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love the 1E Method where a character's skills double for his initiative.

The GM describes the situation, and the players say what they want to do.

Then, the GM directs the action phases, allowing all characters to perform their first actions in the first action phase. Then, the GM moves on to the second action phase for all second actions, and so on.

If, at any time, it is important do decide which character goes first, the actual skill roll made doubles as the initiative throw.

This is quick-n-easy and very "Star Wars" feeling.

For a simple example, let's say a Rebel and a single Scout Trooper are in a wooded area. The Rebel moves around a large rock and sees the Scout. The Scout says, "You there! Halt!" And, he raises his blaster rifle to the firing position.

The player says, "I'll immediately move to a tree, to use it for cover, then draw my blaster and take a shot!"

Action Phase 1: The Scout is holding his action, having just ordered the Rebel to halt.

But, the Rebel doesn't "halt". Instead, he runs to the tree.

Action Phase 2: Using the tree as cover, the Rebel pulls his blaster and fires.

The Scout Trooper fires, too.

So, both attack rolls are made. The highest roll wins initiative. It happens first. And, if it hits, then damage is applied to the Scout Trooper.

The Scout Trooper's attack throw becomes only an initiative throw--he never got to fire as the Rebel was too quick.

This is intuitive and quick. And, it ignores unnecessary rolls for initiative.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Option: Action Phase Initiative Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Here is a new way to do initiative called, "Action Phase Initiative". It is based on a very old game named Villains & Vigilantes.

All characters roll Initiative (Perception) and note the total. Characters go in order highest to lowest. Turns are comprised of Action Phases, and the number rolled for Initiative is the number of the first Action Phase during which the character may act. Ties go to the character with the highest Perception attribute, or roll a dice to determine the who goes first.

It is possible to act more than once per Turn. All characters are allowed to act again in the same turn five phases after their last action was allowed, these are called Action Phases. Thus a character whose total Initiative is 16 perform an action on Action Phases 16, 11, 6, and 1. Each action performed after the first suffers a -1D modifier.

Actions don't have to be performed on the allotted Action Phase. A Character may delay an Action Phase, "banking" it until later in the Turn, even if it interrupts another character's action. Action Phases cannot be saved for use in a later Turn. A character can only perform one action in any given Action Phase.

Questions, criticisms, suggestions are all welcome.

So how would that work if say 2 pcs each roll 13, an imp officer got 17, and stormies had 10. Would the officer on his 17 have to wait till 10, to coordinate their fire?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Option: Action Phase Initiative Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So how would that work if say 2 pcs each roll 13, an imp officer got 17, and stormies had 10. Would the officer on his 17 have to wait till 10, to coordinate their fire?

PCS: 13, 8, 3
Officer: 17, 12, 7, 2
Stormtroopers: 10, 5

17: Officer makes command roll to coordinate with troopers (1st action)
13: PC's shoot at officer (1st action)
12: officer holds action until 10 to coordinate with troopers
10: stormies (1st action) and officer shoot (2nd action -1D)
8: PC's shoot at stormies (2nd action, -1D)
7: Officer holds action to coodinate with troopers
5: stormies (2nd action -1D) and officer (3rd action, -2D) shoot again
3: PC's fire at stormies (3d action, -2D).

If you use this in conjunction with static defenses and static soak rolls things move along very quickly.

Static Defense = Defense Skill D x 3 + pips
Soak = STR x 3 + pips + D in armor + pip in armor
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static defense is nice because it eliminates one of the MAP penalties, although, your static defense is a little bit lower than an average roll, so there is that trade off.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I like the idea of a higher initiative giving more opportunities for actions. It adds a simple mechanic that helps to differentiate characters by way of their baseline capabilities, rather than their developed skills being the main set of variables.

I can see ots of ways that this could be used as a basis for a character concept.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Static defense is nice because it eliminates one of the MAP penalties, although, your static defense is a little bit lower than an average roll, so there is that trade off.

I don't think your taking into account range modifiers for range:

Range Modifiers
Short -5 static defense
Medium +0 static defense
Long +5 static defense
Extreme +10 static defense

When I was originally helping to develop static defense mechanics with the SW3E development team I pointed this out as well. Keep in mind you can still add to those rolls with the use of character points. You could get around that average difference by using x 3.5 (round up). Do the same when calculating Soak.

Static Defense = [(Defense skill D x 3.5) + pips] round up
Soak = [(STR x 3.5) + pips + D in armor + pip in armor] round up

Example: Brawling Parry 3D, Dodge 5D+1, Melee Parry 4D

Brawling = 11+ (3 x 3.5 = 10.5)
Dodge = 19 (5 x 3.5 + 1 = 18.5)
Melee = 14+ (4 x 3.5 - 14)

Stormtrooper (standard)
Brawl = 12+ (4D - 1D armor penalty)
Dodge = 12+ (4D - 1D armor penalty)
Melee: 7+ (= 3D - 1D armor penalty)

Energy Soak = 12+ (2D + 1D armor bonus)
Physical Soak = 14+ (2D + 1D armor bonus)

Static Defenses also allow cover to be standardized as well:
1/4 Cover = +4 static defense
1/2 Cover = +7 static defense
3/4 Cover = +14 static defense

Full Defense = +10 to a single static defense
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you roll to hit but no defensive rolls, just a static # to overcome..
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So you roll to hit but no defensive rolls, just a static # to overcome..

That is correct. It is assumed when in a combat situation that characters will always try to duck, dive, whatever, not to get hit.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a benefit having static defense scores as it makes for less rolling, but not for main line npcs, or pcs..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can see a benefit having static defense scores as it makes for less rolling, but not for main line npcs, or pcs..

Yeah, I'd also be more inclined to just use static defense for mooks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually static defenses help the PC's a great deal. Though its an average roll without the chance of an exploding Wild Die, it is an average roll of all their dice. Meaning it does not suffer from MAPs.

I think if we are honest, players rarely get to roll their entire defense pool and typically suffer at least a -1D and sometimes -3D.

Lets say a player has 5D dodge. He moves, dodges, shoots, -2D to all those skills. Dodge is now 3D. An average roll would give an 11 and a 1 in six chance of the wild die exploding, giving an average roll of 7. Therefore giving a 15 on average.

Static defense for 5D is 18, well above an average roll with an exploding die.

It makes sense, but I understand the idea of players wanting that extra possibility of something real extraordinary happening. That is the part I struggle with. Yes it would obviously speed up the game, but at what cost to the heroic "feel" of rolling that dice pool and the possible exploding wild die?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Actually static defenses help the PC's a great deal. Though its an average roll without the chance of an exploding Wild Die, it is an average roll of all their dice. Meaning it does not suffer from MAPs.

I think if we are honest, players rarely get to roll their entire defense pool and typically suffer at least a -1D and sometimes -3D.

Lets say a player has 5D dodge. He moves, dodges, shoots, -2D to all those skills. Dodge is now 3D. An average roll would give an 11 and a 1 in six chance of the wild die exploding, giving an average roll of 7. Therefore giving a 15 on average.

It makes sense, but I understand the idea of players wanting that extra possibility of something real extraordinary happening. That is the part I struggle with. Yes it would obviously speed up the game, but at what cost to the heroic "feel" of rolling that dice pool and the possible exploding wild die?

Of course, you can also have Static Defese vary by their MAPs... -3 for every additional action performed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

Of course, you can also have Static Defese vary by their MAPs... -3 for every additional action performed.

Good point. IF one does make PC's go by 'static' numbers, it still should take MAPS into account..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: