The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperspace Change of Course
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Hyperspace Change of Course Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So getting back to 'changing course'.
For those who DO feel it should be allowed, while a ship is still in hyperspace', what sort of astrogation (or other) roll would be needed to make said shift?

I really don't have a change of course ever happen in any of my games, however seeing how you can jump blind, I would possibly allow a change of course with a Astrogation Check success followed by a pilot check to make the actual course change, then another astrogation check to get back on the "new" course, with possible new pilot check if needed to make the final positional adjustment.

The difficulties I would imagine being hard and above
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So getting back to 'changing course'.
For those who DO feel it should be allowed, while a ship is still in hyperspace', what sort of astrogation (or other) roll would be needed to make said shift?

N-CRAB (Nav-Computer Route Astrogation Bypass) Module

The answers thou seeketh lay within.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That exists for a tech based way.. We are talking about someone (like in Rogue 1 etc) just using his skill..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That exists for a tech based way.. We are talking about someone (like in Rogue 1 etc) just using his skill..

It's the Mechanical attribute; any solution is going to be a combination of skill and technology. And the OP didn't insist that it had to be a skill-only solution; he merely stated it was possible. The N-CRAB makes it possible (while still requiring three different Astrogation rolls, plus regular Computer Programming/Repair rolls to keep the device operational) without making it simple or common. All that's required is slightly changing the Availability of the N-CRAB, and/or making that particular U-Wing specially modified as an Intel Courier, with add-on equipment for both greater flexibility in hyperspace travel and real-time hyper-comm capability. This has the effect of allowing what we see in Rogue One to be possible, while still restricting its use to the galaxy and large.

Essentially, it would maintain the status quo in the RAW while creating an exception for certain special mission craft to which the characters will have very limited access (assuming they don't manage to steal one for themselves, which is also consistent with the RAW). I'm surprised that approach doesn't appeal to you.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What era were those NCrabs made for?? New republic (post thrawn trilogy)?? Newer than that?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What era were those NCrabs made for?? New republic (post thrawn trilogy)?? Newer than that?

Does it really matter? The new EU isn't adhering to the Legends canon for tech introduction, so if it works as an explanation for what we see in Rogue One, I don't mind playing with the Availability a little bit. It's not like Galladinium's Fantastic Tech (the original source) was all that specific about its time period anyway.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It matters if i am running a rise of the rebellion game, and a piece of tech is listed as "new republic', cause to ME that would mean it doesn't yet exist..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It matters if i am running a rise of the rebellion game, and a piece of tech is listed as "new republic', cause to ME that would mean it doesn't yet exist..

Well, I’ve got my solution, good luck with yours.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we really ease up on the tone in this thread?
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Page 2 of Galladinum's says that it's for the ANH-ESB timeframe. Though all the technologies would also therefore be available in the New Republic Era.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Page 2 of Galladinum's says that it's for the ANH-ESB timeframe. Though all the technologies would also therefore be available in the New Republic Era.

The problem is that the N-CRAB is in the Rare / Experimental Equipment category, and its description specifically lists it as being under development by KDY, with only a handful of functioning prototypes. I’m okay with moving up the design process a little to make them more available to the Alliance, but my money says g will balk at making a minor change to an obscure WEG stat.

cheshire

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much money? Maybe I can get him to go my way if I promise him a good cut. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
How much money? Maybe I can get him to go my way if I promise him a good cut. Smile

LOL

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
cheshire wrote:
garhkal wrote:

The problem is that the N-CRAB is in the Rare / Experimental Equipment category, and its description specifically lists it as being under development by KDY, with only a handful of functioning prototypes. I’m okay with moving up the design process a little to make them more available to the Alliance, but my money says g will balk at making a minor change to an obscure WEG stat.

Well, if its rare/experimental, then the likely hood of someone coming across a version of it in that ESB time frame is very slim..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, because God forbid we make even the slightest alteration to the Sacred RAW As It Hath Been Revealed Unto Us By The Almighty WEG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: