The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New thread or reply in existing thread?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> New thread or reply in existing thread?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7045

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7059

Whill, you publicly got on to me for starting a new thread for no reason in the Tools forum, yet you do the same thing here.

Shouldn't this have been in the thread already established for this topic?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill, you publicly got on to me for starting a new thread for no reason in the Tools forum, yet you do the same thing here.

Chiming in here. I believe context is good when deciding on what is allowed and in what situation. I will also point out, he runs the show here. He gets to do what he wants. Its a community, but if you thought it was a democracy, you are incorrect.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Chiming in here. I believe context is good when deciding on what is allowed and in what situation. I will also point out, he runs the show here. He gets to do what he wants. Its a community, but if you thought it was a democracy, you are incorrect.

Well, I think Whill is a good guy. Everyone makes mistakes. And, I do believe he will want to lead by example and not have a "do what I say, not what I do" environment.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7045

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7059

Shouldn't this have been in the thread already established for this topic?

shootingwomprats wrote:

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb, when you post things on public internet forums that need moderation, a lot of times the moderation will likewise be public. If things are allowed to go uncontested, how are other users supposed to know not to do what you did? What if they do it later and say, Suchandsuch was allowed to do it so why can't I? Kinda like you are doing here to me, except (1) I am the owner/admin and not just another user, (2) these are two completely different things, and (3) I already explained why on the other issue last week.

Wajeb, you registered in April 2017 and in a little over a year, you have posted 116 new threads in that time period. That's an average of a little over 2 per week. Here are my new thread counts in that same time period:

The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info 22
Official Rules 1
House Rules 1
Gamemasters 0
Adventures and Campaigns 0
Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings 0
Characters, Droids, and Species 0
Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech 0
Tools 1
Artwork 0
Gaming Groups 0
First Edition 2
Other Star Wars Games 2
General Star Wars 10
Miscellanea 1
All Play By Post forums combined 1

That's a whopping total of 41. Your new thread count has almost tripled mine, and I'm the site admin! I think I've mastered the skill of knowing when to reply in a thread vs. start a new thread.

Wajeb, you're saying that my two threads in the First edition forum in the past year should only be one thread, but how many threads do you have there? You might be the biggest contributor to the 1e forum, but you are not the moderator of it. I have a soft spot in my heart for 1e because that's what started it all for this game, and I have a lot of nostalgia for those early 1e years. I appreciate your passion and advocacy for 1e, but I expect more self-moderation from you there and everywhere on this board.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Note quite. GG 15 - Attack of the Clones features Jocasta Nu. I was suggesting that the author read the comic and update the character in GG 15.

The new Tools thread you created had the stated purpose of asking the GG15 author to update the Jocasta Nu character info in GG15 because you had read a recent canon comic about her. The revised edition of GG15 came out 6 years ago, before the new canon even existed. The author hasn't posted here in years. But even if he was active, he's probably not even going to bother with an updated revision of the document just because you read a comic about the Jedi librarian lady! That's honestly quite absurd.

You don't create a new thread asking for this minor little update. You post on the GG15 thread. The RotS GG project is inactive, but if you thought that might be a place to introduce canon publication material and want to spark interest in resurrecting that project, you could have posted that in the Fanmade Sourcebook's thread. Whatever thread you post it in moves to the top. Or you could have PMed the GG15 author since the thread was specifically directed at him. Posting new threads for every tiny little whim instead of sending a PM or posting a reply in an appropriate thread is considered vandalizing the forum on some websites. I've read it on their forum posting guidelines when researching for ours. Reread our forum guidelines. Keep it tidy.

Wajeb, the Gilligan's Island post being its own thread was NOT a mistake. This is a brand new image I photoshopped today to joke about the extreme delay of the 30th anniversary edition set. If you can't see the difference between that and posting a new thread to ask a years absent forum user to update an old pre-canon fan document with new info on the Jedi librarian from a recent comic book, then you are just going to have to take my word for it. I'm confident most people reading this understand the difference.

And if you must know, I posted it in a new thread instead of a reply in the existing 30th anniversary thread because I am sharing the thread on other websites. Instead of posting the picture there, I am posting a link back to the forum and I thought it be neater for it to be the start of a new thread than in the middle of an existing thread with several pages. There is a method to my madness. But why don't you just let me worry about marketing the Rancor Pit website and you worry about following the forum guidelines, ok?

Wajeb, I must also point out that when a moderator or admin locks a thread on a forum, it is extremely bad form to challenge that by bringing it up in another thread. Closing threads is a very rare occurrence here, and it was closed for a reason. Last week you had more to say about it and you PMed me. That was fine. I sent you a courteous reply, and you only read my reply without responding to it further. You are still welcome to reply to it by PM. As per the forum guidelines, if you have questions or issues with staff including me, you are free to PM me about it. It is an open door. Above you mentioned how my posted explanation for closing the other thread was public, but after the discussion went private you are the one who made it public, again. And again, this reply was posted here for the sake of everyone else here reading your public comments addressed to me. I strongly suggest you just PM me if you want to discuss it further. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: