The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Video Games/Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Star Wars Video Games/Music Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Video Games/Music Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
So, I've found that some of the cuts from various Star Wars video games work better for background music during play. Jedi Outcast comes to mind, as well as some of the Star Wars strategy games for starship, fleet, and ground battles.

Is it possible to buy these game soundtracks legally for not-outrageous prices? I'd be ok with digital downloads or CDs, however I can get it.

The good news is that with a lot of the older games, you just need to install the game to get access to the soundtrack files, so if you purchase the game and install it, you have the soundtrack. You can find most of them reasonably priced on www.GOG.com especially if you wait for one of their sales. Jedi Outcast and Republic Commando are the big two that come to mind for having good soundtracks. Also in the early days of release, they had the SWTOR soundtrack available for free on the website, I'm not sure if EA gives free access to it anymore.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Music in Star Wars Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Raven Redstar wrote:
So, I've found that some of the cuts from various Star Wars video games work better for background music during play. Jedi Outcast comes to mind, as well as some of the Star Wars strategy games for starship, fleet, and ground battles.

Is it possible to buy these game soundtracks legally for not-outrageous prices? I'd be ok with digital downloads or CDs, however I can get it.

Oh man, I just found out how solid of advice this is. Jedi Outcast has some of the best "mood arrangements" or "setting arrangements." It turns out it is SUPER easy to unpack these from the game. With this being such an old game, it's available from both Steam and GOG for $10. Even if you don't want the game. $10 is probably not an unreasonable pricepoint for the arrangements.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Music in Star Wars Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Whill wrote:

Raven Redstar wrote:

Oh man, I just found out how solid of advice this is. Jedi Outcast has some of the best "mood arrangements" or "setting arrangements." It turns out it is SUPER easy to unpack these from the game. With this being such an old game, it's available from both Steam and GOG for $10. Even if you don't want the game. $10 is probably not an unreasonable pricepoint for the arrangements.

If you manage to catch them when they're on sale, you can pick up quite a few of the games for less than $5 a piece. I'm glad that this helped you out!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who were waiting for Jedi Academy to go on sale, it's on sale on GOG for $2.49.

https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_jedi_knight_jedi_academy
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
For those of you who were waiting for Jedi Academy to go on sale, it's on sale on GOG for $2.49.

https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_jedi_knight_jedi_academy

So I told Chrome to allow JavaScript for gog.com and after many attempts I could not get CAPTCHA to load to create the account. So I went over to Safari to create the account, and after many attempts it finally accepted my username and password choices. After creating the account I went back to Chrome to log in, and I purchased the game. Well, Chrome does not tell this website that I am using a Mac so it let me purchase a game for Windows that I can't even download. Then I realized I had better go to Safari for everything (A hassle in of itself because I never use Safari willingly, but at least in Safari it recognizes that I am using a Mac). Then it took forever for me just to submit a technical ticket, which it says is required before I can get a refund by their 30 day money back guarantee. As far as I could tell, this game isn't even available for Mac.
Evil or Very Mad
I have spent so much time and had so much frustration just to try to download the soundtrack legally. I despise gog.com and want to be done with them. Earlier in this thread I said I probably wouldn't go through the trouble of downloading a game just to get the soundtrack, and for the love of the Force, I wish I would have listened to myself.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you've had to go through such an ordeal, but you're suffering has given me another reason to never buy an Apple product again.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Sorry you've had to go through such an ordeal, but you're suffering has given me another reason to never buy an Apple product again.

+1. The video game selection for Macs (or the LACK of one, rather) is precisely why I refused to get a Mac when both my sister and father suggested getting a Mac as a new computer. They both swear by Macs but they're not gamers.

And TBH, I've had an easier time with GOG.com than I've had with Steam, but it's a tradeoff either way: Steam has by far the bigger selection, but has some installation issues with older games (dear christ, trying to get Freespace and X-Wing running after purchasing them from Steam was a total PITA), while I've had far less problems getting GOG.com games to work but their selection is only a fraction of Steam's. At least their sales prices match, so that's something.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even care about games and I never planned on playing the game. I just wanted the soundtrack that comes with it and I thought $2.49 was a good price for it. I have had less technical problems with my Apple Mac than my three prior Windows-based PCs before it. That's why I switched.

The discussion above never brought up Windows vs. Mac so it was out of my mind. The first part of the blame for this issue is my own for not noticing that the game was for Windows - User error. I can't blame Apple for that.

I have a Mac and use Chrome by default, so obviously it is not the case that all Chrome users are using Windows. Part of the blame goes to Google Chrome which I almost never have problems with. In the past, it has filtered out Windows options for me, but this time it didn't. Safari didn't show me Windows options on GOG because Safari is a Mac browser. I like Chrome because it goes with me for any device I use and has my bookmarks and preferences. I don't have an iPhone or any other Apple products except my laptop and old iPod.

I blame GOG for all the hassle it has taken to use their website and resolve this. I have only gotten an auto-reply and no one has touched my ticket. I don't like how I can't just request a refund - I have to request a technical ticket first. If it is not available for Mac, then the technical ticket is a big waste of time.

If I get my refund, then I am only going to get that and nothing for all my trouble. I don't think my user error should take this much trouble to resolve. I noticed it immediately after the purchase was complete and immediately began trying to resolve it. Having a Mac is not the real problem here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that lack (or difficulty, as the case may be) of a refund option in GOG is a huge pain. Just recently I thought I had purchased the Everspace videogame from GOG that I already bought from Steam some time ago so I began looking all over GOG for the refund option and couldn't find it. Fortunately, I realized that my copy of Everspace from GOG turned out to be a free reward I got the other day for making a number of other purchases from GOG during their Winter Sale. Which means I didn't need to get anything refunded at all.

The Lesson here is: If you purchase from both Steam and GOG, make absolutely certain which games are in what library so you're not doubling up your purchases.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I submitted my technical case to gog on Sunday night, and just this morning they finally assigned someone to it. He apologized for the delay. He said Mac is not an option for this game and asked if I had another Windows based device I could play the game on, and if not, then he could give me a store credit. Evil or Very Mad I don't want a credit. I just want the soundtrack I paid for.

My music library is on my mac. I replied in the case asking if they could possibly provide a download for the audio files of the soundtrack. We'll see.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split the above 'buying video games' discussion from the Gamemaster/Music thread it was originally posted in.

gog's prior reply included this link with "advice" for Mac users but it doesn't seem that helpful:

https://www.paulthetall.com/star-wars-the-jedi-academy-mac/

~~~

So here is today's update on my open ticket:

Quote:
Hello

Unfortunately our release of Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy does not come with a soundtrack. I'm not able to provide you with the music.
Regards
Genoan
GOG.com Support

I notice that he said, "our release of Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy..." So I'm guessing that maybe it is the competitor Steam's version that may have the soundtrack? I'm not happy about all the time I have wasted with gog, but this is a learning experience I wanted to share here in case it may help anyone else avoid my mistakes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soundtrack is there, it's just compressed in one of the game files, you only have to change the file type from .pak to .zip and windows can open it easily.

Sorry, it's a .pk3 file not .pak.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, none of the editions that I've seen make it straightforward. You do have to get into the file structure, identify the file you want, rename it a zip file, and then grab the mp3 files.

There are a few tutorials online, if you'd like me to post one I can. But it assumes you've been able to install the game to begin with.

Though... since you legally acquired the game, if you could find another way to acquire those music files, I think it's still legit.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
The soundtrack is there, it's just compressed in one of the game files, you only have to change the file type from .pak to .zip and windows can open it easily.

Sorry, it's a .pk3 file not .pak.

I believe you. I'm not at all impressed with gog's service.

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, none of the editions that I've seen make it straightforward. You do have to get into the file structure, identify the file you want, rename it a zip file, and then grab the mp3 files.

There are a few tutorials online, if you'd like me to post one I can. But it assumes you've been able to install the game to begin with.

My computer won't even download the installer for the game. When I try, it makes it very clear it is for windows so won't work. So I can't even get to the point of finding any pk3 files to turn into zip files and unzipping them.

But it certainly wouldn't be off topic to post tutorials here for anyone else reading this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as far as this gog tech guy knows, none of their Star Wars games have soundtracks. But gog has three games for Mac:

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=popularity&page=1&search=star%20wars&system=osx_106,osx_107

The three options are:

Tie Fighter
X-Wing
Rebel Assault I + II

Out of these three options, assuming I'll be able to get to the soundtrack, which one should I get? The third one because it is two games and might have more music?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: